The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 10-26-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Thoughts about Talladega race and Kevin Harvick

With a sick motor, IMO Kevin helped create the wrecking with the first green/white checker, when some cars got stacked up and crashed.

On the the 2nd attempt, all he had to do was move up the track or stay in the middle! With the engine issue he had, that would have been the responsible thing to do. He would not have made the cut falling back in the field, so he wrecked some cars, and caused others to not advance. Way to go Kevin...
Old 10-26-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
11_Camaro

Drives: 2022 Hyundai Veloster N
I think since he knew he had an engine issue, I agree, he should have moved up the track. He should have accepted the fact that he might be eliminated due to a mechanical issue and, yes, done the responsible thing and let the chips fall where they may. Mechanical issues are as relevant to elimination as problems on pit road, penalties or being beaten by your competitors.
11_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Then Kevin's excuse of misjudging! Your going maybe 80 not 200mph and you have spotters that are probably saying,'not clear'. Everyone knows the car can't get up to speed. I'm pulling for Jeff Gordon or Kurt Bush now.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
He did try and move up the track, but the car right behind him tried to pass him on the high side. Harvick let him by but the second car trying to get around couldn't as Harvick already got to the wall, thus the second car had a quick move to the inside, starting the crash. He did try and do the right thing, what appears to have failed to do, is communicate that to the cars immediately behind him. That is the spotters fault, or crew chiefs fault, for lacking to communicate the car troubles.

I am not a Harvick fan, as I was actually pulling for Gordon/Jr to win that race. But Harvick screwed up a great finish by his team failing to identify the lack of power and what he was going to do once the flag dropped.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #5
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
He did try and move up the track, but the car right behind him tried to pass him on the high side. Harvick let him by but the second car trying to get around couldn't as Harvick already got to the wall, thus the second car had a quick move to the inside, starting the crash. He did try and do the right thing, what appears to have failed to do, is communicate that to the cars immediately behind him. That is the spotters fault, or crew chiefs fault, for lacking to communicate the car troubles.

I am not a Harvick fan, as I was actually pulling for Gordon/Jr to win that race. But Harvick screwed up a great finish by his team failing to identify the lack of power and what he was going to do once the flag dropped.
I agree, he was moving up to get out of the way, just as he did the 1st time. The 2nd time, they didn't want to wait on him!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #6
strykerg8gt

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
During his radio communication with crew chief and spotter, he clearly talks about the need to "block" as many cars as he can so he doesn't lose positions and "hope" that an accident happens that'll keep him in the top 8.

He should have been black flagged by NASCAR for not being able to maintain speed and he should have held his line once the first car passed him on the outside. Moving up and clipping Bayne was not the correct move but it created the accident he needed.

Worst part is, Junior put on a clinic on how to drive restrictor plate races and pass without any help. He was clearly going to win that race as he was ahead of Logano going through the first turn, unfortunately NASCAR had already thrown the yellow and he didn't get the chance to advance. He was about to do exactly what Harvick had to do in the first round (win the race to advance) but unfortunately Harvick prevented that.
strykerg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerg8gt View Post

He should have been black flagged by NASCAR for not being able to maintain speed.
I've been screaming this at the TV and saying this ever since. NASCAR knew he had a car that couldn't make minimum speed, yet they leave him out there to try and keep their star in the game. NASCAR and their BS rules, that only get inforced when they want too, is a huge joke. If I didn't know any better I swear NASCAR has to be a branch of the US government with how they run things. Their days are numbered anyhow.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:54 PM   #8
Andrew4180
Bigfoot

Drives: "Doomsday" 1981 Camaro
Not racing back to the line under the yellow was the worst rule change nascar ever made. That is all,

383ci SBC, Th400 Trans, 29X10 Hoosiers. Small Block, Small tire, bracket car.
Andrew4180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #9
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Timing lines suck to determine the winner.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #10
Trickskier
Native Floridian

Drives: 2014 - ZL1 / 2003 - Corvette
After watching the replays of both restarts several times I believe Kevin intentionally wrecked Trevor Bayne. On the first restart Kevin was already on the high side (three wide in the Tri-oval) before the green flag. On the second restart he started double wide and as soon as the 6 car was beside him he moved up and hit it. The first hit did not wreck the 6 car so he turned right a second time into the 6 spinning him. Kevin and his crew chief were also discussing the fact that they were probably not going to move on in the chase unless an accident happened.....
Old 10-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #11
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Kevin Harvick is the New England Patriots of NASCAR!!!

And both are my favs!!!

Given his situation, on a green white checker maybe restart, with a bad engine, to not miss the cutoff after being the best car all year long by a wide margin, at TALLEDEGA, I am SURE all you folks here would have just drove to the pits. It's the right thing to do after all.

Give me a break. IF Junior could have got to Logano he should have moved him, he never got there. I can remember a race with Dale Sr years ago when he needed a caution to make things work, his chief said "Dale, we are hoping for a caution". Dale Sr said "working on it..." and it happened next lap.

Racing is for adult men, not today's boys with participation trophies.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote