The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detail, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
whosurdaddy107

Drives: My new Stingray Z51
automatic wash...

took my Z51 to the auto wash at the Chevron station today...came out perfect. it's one of the no touch wash. no brush, just high pressure soap, rinse and spot free rinse then air dry. came out perfect. got home, clean the wheels, dry some of the wet spots but other than that, easy, cheap and fast....any opinions or facts on this????
whosurdaddy107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Drives: 2014 Corvette
Guess Im old school....never see my vette in one of those.....too many harmful products in the old ones to make dirt fall off and bead the water, but it was the cheap petroleum based stuff...maybe its changed
asptroopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Yech......the touch less use hard soaps because they can't touch......and at the end, all it takes is a dirty towel wiping off to scratch....if you are in deep winter, then you have to but if you have a choice go by hand all the way
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
zimm888

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
Since you now use an opti coat, would you feel more comfortable going in one? Is that more so for shine or protection? Curious, thx
zimm888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
Glen e

Opti coat is a micro layer of protection, a micro rock in a towel will still scratch right thro any coating applied.

I will never use a car wash of any kind, I will also never use a hose after discovering the Rinseless method of washing.

Google "Gary dean wash method" - I use duragloss rinseless.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
whosurdaddy107

thanks all of you guys for the feedback and info. i just figure from experiences with my others cars..lexus, toyota, jag. i've tried many method of wash and as long as I detailed every 6 months to 1 years, the car's paint should be fine. my oldest car was a 2003 lexus and i just sold it. that car been thru a lot of weather...rain, snow, hot sun, etc. i washed that car by hand, machine and at the car wash every week or every other week. when i sold it, the paint was almost like new. it's because i have it detailed every year. the guy that bought it had a newer car and his paint wasn't even close to being as good...so i figured...wash it when it's dirty, detailed (clay wax and polish) often and it'll be fine!!!!
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #7
whosurdaddy107

Quote:
Originally Posted by asptroopa1 View Post
Guess Im old school....never see my vette in one of those.....too many harmful products in the old ones to make dirt fall off and bead the water, but it was the cheap petroleum based stuff...maybe its changed
thanks for the info. i just figure the natural elements (tree sap, acid rain, dirty air, sunlight) would be more harmful.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
whosurdaddy107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Opti coat is a micro layer of protection, a micro rock in a towel will still scratch right thro any coating applied.

I will never use a car wash of any kind, I will also never use a hose after discovering the Rinseless method of washing.

Google "Gary dean wash method" - I use duragloss rinseless.
hmmm that's a lot of towels!
Old 02-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
Glen e

If you're serious about detailing you'll get 20 microfibers....I own 40 or so.....they're pretty cheap.....

Last edited by Glen e; 02-22-2014 at 05:12 PM.