The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #15
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
You can thank the Davis-Bacon act for the poor roads. Taxes are a very broad subject, some are under taxes, some are over taxes. I generally find the folks who think its a fair system reap far more of the rewards from it. I’m way overtaxed, can’t do it now but definitely look forward to the day IL is in my rearview mirror. The roads outside of Chicago and Cook County aren’t bad, but we pay for it. Near $100 in tolls per month and they just tacked on another 19cents or so per gallon of gas.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #16
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
95% of government spending is waste.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #17
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimfrost769 View Post
Taxation is theft.
+1
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:09 PM   #18
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Taxation is theft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
95% of government spending is waste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
+1
Presuming you are all being serious. How would you propose we pay for:

The Military
The Police
School system
Firefighters
Public roads
Court system
I mean, of course, the list is endless, but i'm curious, are you proposing we don't need any of these I listed? If you think they are worth having, how do we pay for it?
Old 08-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #19
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post

The Military
The Police
School system
Firefighters
Public roads
Court system
I mean, of course, the list is endless, but i'm curious, are you proposing we don't need any of these I listed? If you think they are worth having, how do we pay for it?

The services you listed are needed by they are filled with waste. Time for a full audit. No more $400 hammers.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:07 PM   #20
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
The services you listed are needed by they are filled with waste. Time for a full audit. No more $400 hammers.
yes, there's waste, i agreed in my first post. Saying 95% is waste is pure hyperbole, do you have actual data to show a more realistic number, or even a realistic number, like 1 or 2%?
Old 08-26-2019, 09:43 PM   #21
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Compare our current budget to that in the 1700s. Every line item not on the old budgets is waste.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #22
Grimfrost769

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:

The Military
The Police
School system
Firefighters
Public roads
Court system
Ending entitlement spending and the welfare state.
Allow a true free market unbridled from government regulation and bureaucracy.
Grimfrost769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #23
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I don’t care about all that crap. If we’re gonna help people out and do all that other stuff, whether people agree with it or not...agree to disagree end of conversation move along...but give me some god damned decent roads. Everywhere. Like the autobahn.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:50 AM   #24
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Ending entitlement spending and the welfare state.
Allow a true free market unbridled from government regulation and bureaucracy.
what's an entitlement? Like Social Security? Medicare?

Have you seen pictures of the Great Lakes and Hudson River before we the people (the Government) decided that unbridled greed probably wasn't such a good thing? Or google Cuyahoga river fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
I don’t care about all that crap. If we’re gonna help people out and do all that other stuff, whether people agree with it or not...agree to disagree end of conversation move along...but give me some god damned decent roads. Everywhere. Like the autobahn.
I hear you. Honestly, the roads here in Colorado are pretty good. Sure there's spots that suck, but it ain't Mexico, damn those roads really suck. Why do they suck so bad in Alabama, is that a State gov issue?

Last edited by DenverTaco07; 08-27-2019 at 12:05 PM.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #25
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:

Have you seen pictures of the Great Lakes and Hudson River before we the people (the Government) decided that unbridled greed probably wasn't such a good thing?

I hear you. Honestly, the roads here in Colorado are pretty good. Sure there's spots that suck, but it ain't Mexico, damn those roads really suck. Why do they suck so bad in Alabama, is that a State gov issue?
Ya know...I don’t know. Just seems to be neglected all over more than they should be on highways, city’s and counties. But it’s not just Bama, it’s ga and fl.

I’m always like, if toll roads can always be perfect, why can’t the rest....I’ve never been on a toll road that wasn’t damn near perfect. Make them all toll roads if that’s what it takes.

To be fair. There’s places that are awesome, but some that are under construction and some that are just plain awful. It’s totally inconsistent. And when something is under construction....you can bet on camping out for a long long time.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #26
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:

Social Security isn't an entitlement. It is paid into all of a person's working life, against their will because the government mandated it after its inception because it couldn't afford to support itself.

Medicare is government healthcare. Don't even get me started down that rabbit hole. The short answer on that is look at the VA if you want to see how effective government run healthcare is.

BTW, Alabama isn't the only state with problem roads. Some of the severe southern parts of the coastal border states have horrendous roads because the geology is crap for roads. It stems from building road beds on sand a foot or two above the water table. They're going to buckle and suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
I’ve never been on a toll road that wasn’t damn near perfect.
Obviously you've never been to Pennsylvania. The PA Turn Pike is a piece of junk in most places and always under construction.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #27
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Social Security isn't an entitlement. It is paid into all of a person's working life, against their will because the government mandated it after its inception because it couldn't afford to support itself.

Medicare is government healthcare. Don't even get me started down that rabbit hole. The short answer on that is look at the VA if you want to see how effective government run healthcare is.

BTW, Alabama isn't the only state with problem roads. Some of the severe southern parts of the coastal border states have horrendous roads because the geology is crap for roads. It stems from building road beds on sand a foot or two above the water table. They're going to buckle and suck.

Obviously you've never been to Pennsylvania. The PA Turn Pike is a piece of junk in most places and always under construction.
Here ya go.... I was even wrong on that account...there are bad roads everywhere. Shouldn’t be like that...
Old 08-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #28
DenverTaco07

OK, so if I run for POTUS my platform will be "Fix the damn roads already".

I think I have a shot!