Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-15-2015, 11:40 PM   #57
RedRyder

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuDragon View Post
I received the updated controller from Advanced Keys, swapped it for the one I had installed in the car ... and see the exact same behavior. So whatever the issue was that prevents me from starting while in green-ACC-mode wasn't because of the controller. At this point, I'm just glad the new controller didn't make things worse. When I get time (not sure when) I'll go back and mess with it some more, but at this point I may be ready to throw in the towel and just live with the issues.
I installed the advanced keys kit with the fortin evo and gm harness this weekend and I have some of the same issues. Advanced Keys sent me their new unit which is the 105B Rev. B. It looks like they simplified the wiring and changed the antennas but the connections are pretty much still the same.

I've only got two of the problems you noted earlier which are I can't start in ACC mode and the trunk pop takes about 5 secs. Both of which don't bother me so I'm pretty happy with the end product. I have one extra quirk though which is after I stop the engine the doors unlock but then relock. So you have to pull the handle twice whenever you get out. I read on their forums that another camaro owner had the same problem and they said it was a camaro specific issue. Not a huge deal but thought I'd mention it.

One thing to add to anyone who wants to install this. For the brake input, don't use the output from the Fortin Evo, splice it directly from the BCM. Their new instructions state this as well.
RedRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #58
TofuDragon

Drives: 2010 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
I installed the advanced keys kit with the fortin evo and gm harness this weekend and I have some of the same issues. Advanced Keys sent me their new unit which is the 105B Rev. B. It looks like they simplified the wiring and changed the antennas but the connections are pretty much still the same.

I've only got two of the problems you noted earlier which are I can't start in ACC mode and the trunk pop takes about 5 secs. Both of which don't bother me so I'm pretty happy with the end product. I have one extra quirk though which is after I stop the engine the doors unlock but then relock. So you have to pull the handle twice whenever you get out. I read on their forums that another camaro owner had the same problem and they said it was a camaro specific issue. Not a huge deal but thought I'd mention it.

One thing to add to anyone who wants to install this. For the brake input, don't use the output from the Fortin Evo, splice it directly from the BCM. Their new instructions state this as well.
Thanks for the info! It sounds like your install operates exactly like mine does with the no start on Green ACC state. The trunk pop taking about 5 seconds when holding down unlock is unfortunately how it's supposed to work, since there's no dedicated button on the keyfob for it. I've largely relegated myself to just open the driver door and push the trunk button in there when loading groceries. And I have the exact same behavior where it locks after shutoff, requiring the 2x handle pull.

Good to know that someone else sees the same problems I do. Steve7251 said that his works with no issue though, and he can start in ACC mode. I think he said he's using a different bypass (not EVO-ALL).
Old 03-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #59
RedRyder

Quote:
Thanks for the info! It sounds like your install operates exactly like mine does with the no start on Green ACC state. The trunk pop taking about 5 seconds when holding down unlock is unfortunately how it's supposed to work, since there's no dedicated button on the keyfob for it. I've largely relegated myself to just open the driver door and push the trunk button in there when loading groceries. And I have the exact same behavior where it locks after shutoff, requiring the 2x handle pull.

Good to know that someone else sees the same problems I do. Steve7251 said that his works with no issue though, and he can start in ACC mode. I think he said he's using a different bypass (not EVO-ALL).
That's interesting that a different bypass doesn't have these issues. When you turn to ACC mode does it actually only turn on accessories or does the car actually go to the ON/RUN mode? Mine does the latter and pressing the button again for ON/RUN mode does nothing but change the LED to red.

I've emailed advanced keys explaining everything I noticed to see if they have any new information or workarounds for these problems.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #60
TofuDragon

Quote:
That's interesting that a different bypass doesn't have these issues. When you turn to ACC mode does it actually only turn on accessories or does the car actually go to the ON/RUN mode? Mine does the latter and pressing the button again for ON/RUN mode does nothing but change the LED to red.

I've emailed advanced keys explaining everything I noticed to see if they have any new information or workarounds for these problems.
Yep, same as yours. The ACC mode makes the car go to an ON/RUN mode. Trying to start from that mode gives no response (red flashing light on brake press, but nothing happens on button press). I've been emailing advanced keys for months too; the last word is that they're trying to find another Camaro on which to test.

I recently tried buying the Fortin Flashlink 2 Updater module, and updated the firmware on the EVO-ALL from 4.18 to whatever the latest version is, to see if that was the issue. Exact same behavior as before.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:50 AM   #61
RedRyder

Quote:
Yep, same as yours. The ACC mode makes the car go to an ON/RUN mode. Trying to start from that mode gives no response (red flashing light on brake press, but nothing happens on button press). I've been emailing advanced keys for months too; the last word is that they're trying to find another Camaro on which to test.

I recently tried buying the Fortin Flashlink 2 Updater module, and updated the firmware on the EVO-ALL from 4.18 to whatever the latest version is, to see if that was the issue. Exact same behavior as before.
I was looking over the wiring for the bypass that Directed (Viper alarms) makes and it has some more input/output options, most interestingly a RAP off input which connects to the driver door sense signal in order to retain ACC power after the car is turned off but before the driver door is opened. But I'm not that confident that another type of bypass will fix the issues we're seeing. It's like the ACC+ signals aren't quite turning off/on at the appropriate times. Also, from what Steve7251 described, it doesn't sound like his immobilizer is being bypassed at all since he still has to have his FOB next to the immobilizer coil to start the car.

Since I won't be using the remote start or window roll up module I was thinking of using the external aux mode that's available for popping the trunk more quickly. In theory, you should be able to connect the blue window roll up wire to the brown trunk release wire and after enabling AUX mode, holding the remote start button for 3 secs should pop the trunk. One problem I see with it though is that in order to enable AUX mode you have to be in the ACC state so we might not be able to get into that mode but as long as power is still being fed I still think it should work.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #62
TofuDragon

Quote:
I was looking over the wiring for the bypass that Directed (Viper alarms) makes and it has some more input/output options, most interestingly a RAP off input which connects to the driver door sense signal in order to retain ACC power after the car is turned off but before the driver door is opened. But I'm not that confident that another type of bypass will fix the issues we're seeing. It's like the ACC+ signals aren't quite turning off/on at the appropriate times. Also, from what Steve7251 described, it doesn't sound like his immobilizer is being bypassed at all since he still has to have his FOB next to the immobilizer coil to start the car.

Since I won't be using the remote start or window roll up module I was thinking of using the external aux mode that's available for popping the trunk more quickly. In theory, you should be able to connect the blue window roll up wire to the brown trunk release wire and after enabling AUX mode, holding the remote start button for 3 secs should pop the trunk. One problem I see with it though is that in order to enable AUX mode you have to be in the ACC state so we might not be able to get into that mode but as long as power is still being fed I still think it should work.
You're right, the immobilizer bybass (Fortin) is likely not the issue since that part of the setup works fine (car starts without key). It was just one of the many avenues I went down in troubleshooting (hence the updating of the Fortin EVO-ALL). I must have missed that bypass detail about Steve7251's install, but that sounds about right.

I'm also a manual transmission and don't plan on doing the remote start either. Using the remote start button on the Advanced Keys fob is a good idea. Maybe we can enable AUX mode via the original car key and going to ACC mode that way? It's been awhile since I looked through the Advanced Keys install manual, to see if it's just a one-time enabling of AUX mode that's needed. But it may not work because then you're using the key and not the Advanced Keys module to get to the state.

If your install is the same as mine (and it sounds like it is), you may find that every so often you'll open your driver door and the normal Camaro horn alarm will go off. Have to lean in and push the start button (which brings it to "ACC" Green state) to shut it off. It'll also happen if you turn off the car, but don't get out until a few minutes later. Just another annoyance I'd like to resolve one day.

To everyone else who may be following along with this, sorry it's probably not very clear what we're talking about... but at least others are seeing the same issues and maybe we can resolve them in time.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:58 PM   #63
RedRyder

Quote:
You're right, the immobilizer bybass (Fortin) is likely not the issue since that part of the setup works fine (car starts without key). It was just one of the many avenues I went down in troubleshooting (hence the updating of the Fortin EVO-ALL). I must have missed that bypass detail about Steve7251's install, but that sounds about right.

I'm also a manual transmission and don't plan on doing the remote start either. Using the remote start button on the Advanced Keys fob is a good idea. Maybe we can enable AUX mode via the original car key and going to ACC mode that way? It's been awhile since I looked through the Advanced Keys install manual, to see if it's just a one-time enabling of AUX mode that's needed. But it may not work because then you're using the key and not the Advanced Keys module to get to the state.

If your install is the same as mine (and it sounds like it is), you may find that every so often you'll open your driver door and the normal Camaro horn alarm will go off. Have to lean in and push the start button (which brings it to "ACC" Green state) to shut it off. It'll also happen if you turn off the car, but don't get out until a few minutes later. Just another annoyance I'd like to resolve one day.

To everyone else who may be following along with this, sorry it's probably not very clear what we're talking about... but at least others are seeing the same issues and maybe we can resolve them in time.
I just gave it a try and it looks like I was able to successfully change in and out of AUX mode. I probably won't be able to splice the aux wire into the trunk release until later this week but it looks like it should work Interestingly, the first time I did it, the system indicated that I had just disabled AUX mode. I did it again and it said I had enabled it so I guess it was already enabled?

The alarm did go off on me once when I stopped to get gas. I got out of the car but left the keys inside and when I opened the driver's door after I was done, it went off. I was able to turn it off using the advanced keys fob though. I couldn't tell if it was the stock alarm that went off or it was the advanced keys unit. Is there a difference in the honking/alarming?
Old 03-17-2015, 03:03 PM   #64
TofuDragon

Quote:
I couldn't tell if it was the stock alarm that went off or it was the advanced keys unit. Is there a difference in the honking/alarming?
Good question. I'm not sure what the Advanced Keys honking/alarm sounds like, and if it just uses the stock alarm or not. But I had heard the stock alarm go off a few times before installing this kit, and the alarm that goes off here is the same. Quick honks, and if you don't turn it off after about 15 seconds it goes into super-loud, long honks.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:23 PM   #65
RedRyder

Quote:
Good question. I'm not sure what the Advanced Keys honking/alarm sounds like, and if it just uses the stock alarm or not. But I had heard the stock alarm go off a few times before installing this kit, and the alarm that goes off here is the same. Quick honks, and if you don't turn it off after about 15 seconds it goes into super-loud, long honks.
I think I've figured it out. When turning off the engine, whatever lock signal is being sent to the car is the same as pressing lock once on the OEM key fob which puts the car into the stock 30 second alarm delay period. This means that the stock alarm will arm after 30 seconds (I forgot it did that since I always used to press lock twice) and will go off if you open any doors after that time while not leaving the smart key area.

So I'd like to think that once that last lock signal is taken out after shutting down, it should fix the extra alarming issues.

I believe that is what this thread is getting at: http://www.advancedkeys.com/forum/vi....php?f=4&t=968
Old 03-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #66
Netraa

Drives: 2014 2ss/rs
Quote:
I think I've figured it out. When turning off the engine, whatever lock signal is being sent to the car is the same as pressing lock once on the OEM key fob which puts the car into the stock 30 second alarm delay period. This means that the stock alarm will arm after 30 seconds (I forgot it did that since I always used to press lock twice) and will go off if you open any doors after that time while not leaving the smart key area.

So I'd like to think that once that last lock signal is taken out after shutting down, it should fix the extra alarming issues.
What if you hit the unlock button on the door before you open it instead of pulling 2x on the handle?
Netraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:04 PM   #67
layzurguy
Ride On!!!!

Drives: 2012 SS Ragtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netraa View Post
What if you hit the unlock button on the door before you open it instead of pulling 2x on the handle?
Not everybody has that option.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:25 PM   #68
TofuDragon

Quote:

I believe that is what this thread is getting at: http://www.advancedkeys.com/forum/vi....php?f=4&t=968
Good detective work! I *think* I may have been able to get it to not lock on engine shutdown before, but it has been so long I can't remember off the top of my head. I do remember I was trying different combinations of turning on/off the door lock behavior on the car vehicle settings AND turning on/off the door lock behavior at the Advanced Keys module (there was an option in the manual, had to remove the main connections to the AK keyless module, hold down the car brake, then plug it back in... or something similar to that... it's definitely in the AK Keyless manual).

I also noticed that the "AK Camaro 10-14.pdf" on that thread is a document I hadn't seen before this. I'd definitely like to check my install to that doc when I have time.

I would help out more by trying it on my car, but as fate would have it, I'm about to go out of the country for 2.5 weeks on vacation. I'll definitely tinker around with it some more when I get back in early April though. Maybe it will all have been figured out by then! Best of luck!
Old 03-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #69
RedRyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netraa View Post
I only have the button on the center console since it's a 2010 but it does nothing after the engine turns off/power is cut.

Quote:
Good detective work! I *think* I may have been able to get it to not lock on engine shutdown before, but it has been so long I can't remember off the top of my head. I do remember I was trying different combinations of turning on/off the door lock behavior on the car vehicle settings AND turning on/off the door lock behavior at the Advanced Keys module (there was an option in the manual, had to remove the main connections to the AK keyless module, hold down the car brake, then plug it back in... or something similar to that... it's definitely in the AK Keyless manual).

I also noticed that the "AK Camaro 10-14.pdf" on that thread is a document I hadn't seen before this. I'd definitely like to check my install to that doc when I have time.

I would help out more by trying it on my car, but as fate would have it, I'm about to go out of the country for 2.5 weeks on vacation. I'll definitely tinker around with it some more when I get back in early April though. Maybe it will all have been figured out by then! Best of luck!
I checked mine with it and all the wiring is the same. I forgot about the vehicle personalization menu... I'll have to dig out my stock headunit and play with the options to see if I can change anything. You might have been on to something though, if both the stock and the advanced keys systems are controlling the door locks when the car is turned on and off, it's possible that some signals are getting crossed.

Have a good vacation, I'll keep at it
Old 03-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #70
RedRyder

So bad news all around:

Coincidentally, I got an email back from Advanced Keys today saying to try turning off all the stock lock settings like we had mentioned but no matter the combination of settings (with or without the Advanced Keys ignition locking enabled) that last lock signal is still coming across and arming the car after shut down.

As for the ACC Mode, they said it's a wiring issue and the ACC out needs to be connected to the ignition switch ACC wire, which it is, so that's no help.

I tried wiring the aux cable to the trunk release and setting it to aux mode but holding the remote start button only unlocks the car

I'll keep in contact with Advanced Keys but it's looking like we might have to live with these issues until AK sorts them out since I'm out of ideas.