Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-08-2024, 04:25 PM   #1
Steve65

Drives: 2013
Warranty options help needed

Have a 2020 RS convert. It's out of warranty...looking to see if there is an Actual GM warranty avail. Car has 45k miles...wife was able to get a extended Mopar warranty on her jeep. Added 5 years and 70k....just need to know if something like this exists for our cars
Steve65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:06 PM   #2
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
GM doesn't offer anything similar if the car is already out of warranty. You're probably better off looking for one of those insurance/repair programs that you pay a monthly deal on unfortunately.

What I would say is confirm with the dealership that there wasn't any additional service/warranty package purchased (assuming you're not the original owner).
Old 02-08-2024, 07:39 PM   #3
Caerus

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve65 View Post
Have a 2020 RS convert. It's out of warranty...looking to see if there is an Actual GM warranty avail. Car has 45k miles
Yes there is an official GM warranty available for your out of warranty Camaro. See the last page of this thread. Also, look at the sample GM warranty contract attached (read after yellow high light). There is a waiting period of 1,000 miles or 30 days.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=536064&page=4
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CHVSC_230524_GM SAMPLE 5-2023.pdf (742.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 02-08-2024, 07:42 PM   #4
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
No idea, but here’s an idea - start the Steve Self-Warranty Program.

Take whatever you think you would have spent on this - or add $100 per month for 1 or 2 years - to your OWN warranty fund. Invest your fund in something - I like Fidelity/Vanguard S&P 500 for low fees and great service. If you need it, it’s there. If you don’t need it, great.

These warranty programs are very likely and probably without exception a bad value - I would even suggest rip-off.

Lehto’s Law:
https://youtu.be/sdQ3jx9QtNk?si=uW7v8Iba_N5CdcgZ

Consumer Reports (they mention the field-fund idea too!):
https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...r-a1570471227/
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 10:01 AM   #5
Caerus

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasar View Post
No idea, but here’s an idea - start the Steve Self-Warranty Program.

These warranty programs are very likely and probably without exception a bad value - I would even suggest rip-off.
The third party warranty programs are the main types that are a bad idea and bad value overall. The GM backed programs that extend the original warranty can still be a good overall program and a good value for people that will keep their car long term. As long as you don't get ripped off paying the high mark ups that some dealers will charge.

The idea of investing and self insuring is a good idea for some. But a GM extended warranty is a small price to pay for not having to worry about any repairs for seven years or so. I typically don't get extended warranties, since I have not in the past kept cars long term. But I probably will keep this ZL1 long term, so I am thinking about getting a GM extended warranty.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:14 AM   #6
Bigredwing

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS
You can try emailing Dennis Fichtner - dfichtner@laurelchevy.com. He might be able to help you.
Bigredwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 12:07 PM   #7
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerus View Post
The third party warranty programs are the main types that are a bad idea and bad value overall. The GM backed programs that extend the original warranty can still be a good overall program and a good value for people that will keep their car long term. As long as you don't get ripped off paying the high mark ups that some dealers will charge.
Statistically speaking, all extended warranties are a bad value. It’s rare that an owner gets more than the cost of the warranty back in repairs. It’s a bargain for the rare owners that do encounter huge repairs. Certainly the “peace of mind” has a dollar value too.

The GM extended warranty doesn’t extend the “bumper to bumper” warranty. Even the GM warranty has exclusions such as the convertible top, trim pieces, and other assorted items that were covered by the original warranty. You’ll want to read the details carefully to understand what is covered.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:34 PM   #8
sklippi2018

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS 1LE
Might also want to look here.

https://caredge.com/extended-warranty
sklippi2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 03:40 PM   #9
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
You can get the GM platinum warranty EVEN IF your bumper to bumper expired. Source: I did it with my last 6th Gen. Bought a GM platinum warranty at 3.5 years old and 4xxxx miles. The warranty paid for itself as I had a decent amount of work done under it and when I got rid of my 2016 I was able to cancel the remaining portion of the warranty and get a prorated portion back (thus technically making money from the whole ordeal).

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote