Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 02-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
RobRiot88

Drives: 2010 SS 6m, black on black.
Diff Swap, Mix and match driveline

OK, so some of us like testing the limits of stock components and others like spending their dollars for the piece of mind. Either way, there's several good options for beefing up these rear-end components for street/strip.
I like the idea of swapping parts for cheap to get the performance I was looking for. But with all these different parts and lack of specs it gets confusing. Besides the driveshafts the ls3 and l99 diffs can be swapped correct? Is the zl1 diff is completely different? I assume the axles are different as well as the driveshaft.
I know the hammerhead diff uses different axles and driveshaft than the the rest. Can anyone give me insight on what some options would be. right now i have DSS 1000hp axles on my stock diff. I need a driveshaft so I'm trying to plan out what my future diff upgrade or build could be. I want to stick with lower gearing like the L99 or even the zl1's. Then i'd like it to be rated to 1000hp. What would work best? Thanks guys
Old 02-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiot88 View Post
the ls3 and l99 diffs can be swapped correct?
Yes, they can be swapped. We keep factory differentials with 3.45 and 3.91 on the shelf for those looking to do exactly what you are asking about

Quote:
I want to stick with lower gearing like the L99 ...What would work best? guys
The LS3 has the lower final ratio at 3.45 compared to the L99 at 3.27. The 1Le has a final drive ratio of 3.91

The L99 transmission is geared more aggressively than the manual transmission in the LS3 cars. So, you don't have to go with a gear that is as low in the L99 to achieve the same results with a slightly lower gear in the LS3.

Example: A 3.73 in a L99 car is about like a 3.91 in the LS3. A 3.91 in an L99 is about like a 4.11 in the LS3

What is best is all going to depend on your goal.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6
I did the ZL1 diff swap, with ZL1 axles and driveshaft and they are different. The diff bolts right up with no mods, there are some high hp ZL1's with the stock driveline and havent heard of any breaking the rears yet, for me the 3.73 gears and the larger ring gears are a little peace of mind. It comes down to what you want to spend and how much power you plan on making.
Tech AFX Heater Hose Relocation Kit, Black Chrome Wheels
Pfadt trailing and toe arms, Pfadt solid subframe mounts, Pfadt diff bushings, Street Slayer Twin Carbon
Technostalgia Camaro LED taillights, CTS-V Front Brakes, Powder Coated Calipers By ME
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Complete ZL1 Rearend Swap
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
RobRiot88

Drives: 2010 SS 6m, black on black.
well for me the lower the final gear the better. I think i'm going to get the DSS Aluminum shaft. and keep an eye out for the l99 diff or a deal on some reinforced gears and posi. I wish i could do the zl1 swap but i already have the dss axles. If i ever strike the lotto ill send it all off to dss and get the right parts for the hammerhead. But if im correct the stock diff is the lightest still.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #5
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6
You could probably have them rebuild your axles to the ZL1 diff, but it's all about $ and what your power goals.
Tech AFX Heater Hose Relocation Kit, Black Chrome Wheels
Pfadt trailing and toe arms, Pfadt solid subframe mounts, Pfadt diff bushings, Street Slayer Twin Carbon
Technostalgia Camaro LED taillights, CTS-V Front Brakes, Powder Coated Calipers By ME
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Complete ZL1 Rearend Swap
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
forklord

Drives: 2010 2SS
i was told my level 4 1000hp DSS half shafts will fit a hammerhead when the time comes...thats why i bought them. dunno about the aluminum driveshaft thought. i doubt it.
2010 2SS- 562whp/634wtq 12 psi on3 turbo 78mm magnum /w aem truboost, pat g cam, Kooks 3" catback, Factory Rep 41s with 285/315 20" michelin PSS, Snow Meth, Hex Hood Vents, ZL1 FP & ADM FPCM /w JMS BAP, ID 850s, DSS lvl 4 axles & aluminum 1 piece D/S, Total Pro BMR bushings, fe4 sways, toe rods & trailing arms, Prothane engine mounts, MGW shifter, eaton true trac, mantic 9000 clutch, idealg master cylinder, JDP clutch oil reservoir, ram clutch pedal adjust, Tick clutch & bleed lines, Dewitts Rad
forklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Quote:
well for me the lower the final gear the better. I think i'm going to get the DSS Aluminum shaft. and keep an eye out for the l99 diff or a deal on some reinforced gears and posi. I wish i could do the zl1 swap but i already have the dss axles. If i ever strike the lotto ill send it all off to dss and get the right parts for the hammerhead. But if im correct the stock diff is the lightest still.
Your axles will work with the Hammer head .I can help you out on the DSS shaft and the Hammer Head when your ready.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
forklord

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
Your axles will work with the Hammer head .I can help you out on the DSS shaft and the Hammer Head when your ready.
You talking about my shafts?? Will my true trac or 3.91s still work with a hammerhead?
2010 2SS- 562whp/634wtq 12 psi on3 turbo 78mm magnum /w aem truboost, pat g cam, Kooks 3" catback, Factory Rep 41s with 285/315 20" michelin PSS, Snow Meth, Hex Hood Vents, ZL1 FP & ADM FPCM /w JMS BAP, ID 850s, DSS lvl 4 axles & aluminum 1 piece D/S, Total Pro BMR bushings, fe4 sways, toe rods & trailing arms, Prothane engine mounts, MGW shifter, eaton true trac, mantic 9000 clutch, idealg master cylinder, JDP clutch oil reservoir, ram clutch pedal adjust, Tick clutch & bleed lines, Dewitts Rad
forklord is offline   Reply With Quote