The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #29
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
It's only a matter of time before this thread gets moved. I was the guy who started a thread just like this one and it got moved. That and people were getting but hurt about me freely talking about my license.

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #30
M3hta1
USMC OIF 06-08

Drives: My wife crazy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
It's only a matter of time before this thread gets moved. I was the guy who started a thread just like this one and it got moved. That and people were getting but hurt about me freely talking about my license.
Oh well good info while it lasted. I am in NC. I can legally open or conceal carry so if it is in plain sight it doesn't matter. (of course if I have to leave it in my car ie going into a secure building, I lock it up or not bring it at all) We have security vault in our building where we store our personal weapons.

What really matters if I get pulled over, I keep my hands 10&2 with my window down tell the officer I have a concealed weapons permit and I am carrying.
M3hta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #31
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hta1 View Post
Oh well good info while it lasted. I am in NC. I can legally open or conceal carry so if it is in plain sight it doesn't matter. (of course if I have to leave it in my car ie going into a secure building, I lock it up or not bring it at all) We have security vault in our building where we store our personal weapons.

What really matters if I get pulled over, I keep my hands 10&2 with my window down tell the officer I have a concealed weapons permit and I am carrying.
Good ideas you have there..I received mine around 3 weeks to a month ago and have been super responsible with it. I notice myself reading signs WAY more than I ever have. Just be safe, be responsible, be aware, and you'll do fine. By they way, if you find a holster that's fit for your firearm, you can find a holster that has belt clips and clip it on top of the knee blocker and under the steering wheel. There's a gap there.

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #32
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
I'm a HPDE coach, another instructor told me once he had a student at the track, forgot has 357 was under his seat, 1st hard braking and it slide right under the pedals. Wouldn't recommend that one without some restraint.
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:40 AM   #33
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster View Post
Hey guys, I'll be 21 in a couple months and I'm going to be getting a CCW. Wondering about options on where and how to holster the gun with easy access from the driver seat, obviously. Also, this would *not* be the one carried on my person, it would be an entirely separate one strictly for my car. I know some of y'all have car guns, so how do you do it?

I had seen holsters situated under the steering wheel/dashboard, leaning towards that. Also seen people squeeze it between the seat and console, but frankly I don't want a passenger to even know about it.

Recommendations?
You sir should NOT be approved for any type of concealed pistol license. NOBODY leaves, stores, has a "system" for a handgun for a car with an approved concealed pistol license.

CCW (carry concealed weapon) is the criminal charge

CPL (concealed pistol license) is the permit to carry.

Secondly, as a LEO for 25 years, it is absolutely idiotic to have some sort of contraption, device or other area within a vehicle other than on your PERSON to have a pistol.

I have had fellow police officers killed by dumbass CPL holders forgetting their guns in cars using these contraptions. People forget their "Constitutional" right in their vehicles. CONCEALED pistols mean JUST THAT! Concealed on your PERSON.

HOWEVER....if you choose to transport your gun in a vehicle...NOT ON YOUR PERSON, LOCK it in a container WITH keys, unloaded and broken down in the trunk out of the access of any person within the passenger compartment.

Too many guns getting stolen by CPL holders wanting to go to sporting events, bars, leaving it loaded in a vehicle and forgetting it. And too many criminals getting their hands on these guns.

My opinion? If you want to carry concealed, learn and adhere to what the meaning of concealed means. There are provisions for transporting a handgun which, for the most part, is not inclusive of the concealed pistol licensing.

Mind you, my opinion is based on personal experience based on actual factual shootings where a person with a CPL has used his/her pistol. One is an absolute fool to have a gun in a car, not on his person, when needed. If the damn gun bugs you that much on your body while driving, lose some weight, loosen your belt or buy a shoulder holster.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:58 AM   #34
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post

OP There is a spot right next to the front seat. When you are driving your right leg covers it up.
Love it.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:05 AM   #35
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
OP, I've been a CHL holder going 10 years. When I first got my permit I went through several carry types before finally finding my best carry. I now carry my handgun on my person 99% of the time regardless of clothing or vehicle. My advice is find one handgun you can live and breath by confidently. Learn tactical shooting methods. Always avoid putting yourself at risk. If you are concerned about protecting your Camaro, you have insurance and onstar for that. Learn to maneuver your vehicle having a way out of different situations if you spot trouble. Good luck.
eymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:19 AM   #36
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
You sir should NOT be approved for any type of concealed pistol license. NOBODY leaves, stores, has a "system" for a handgun for a car with an approved concealed pistol license.

Secondly, as a LEO for 25 years, it is absolutely idiotic to have some sort of contraption, device or other area within a vehicle other than on your PERSON to have a pistol.

I have had fellow police officers killed by dumbass CPL holders forgetting their guns in cars using these contraptions. People forget their "Constitutional" right in their vehicles. CONCEALED pistols mean JUST THAT! Concealed on your PERSON.

HOWEVER....if you choose to transport your gun in a vehicle...NOT ON YOUR PERSON, LOCK it in a container WITH keys, unloaded and broken down in the trunk out of the access of any person within the passenger compartment.

Too many guns getting stolen by CPL holders wanting to go to sporting events, bars, leaving it loaded in a vehicle and forgetting it. And too many criminals getting their hands on these guns.

My opinion? If you want to carry concealed, learn and adhere to what the meaning of concealed means. There are provisions for transporting a handgun which, for the most part, is not inclusive of the concealed pistol licensing.

Mind you, my opinion is based on personal experience based on actual factual shootings where a person with a CPL has used his/her pistol. One is an absolute fool to have a gun in a car, not on his person, when needed. If the damn gun bugs you that much on your body while driving, lose some weight, loosen your belt or buy a shoulder holster.
Wow...I respectfully disagree with you on, well, almost everything you wrote and you even sounded a little bitter towards the guy asking an innocent question. We have no reason to believe he's irresponsible or undeserving of a license.

These laws vary significantly from state to state. I don't know about your state in particular, but in my state of Kentucky, we don't have a pistol license. We simply have a single ccdw license which covers everything from throwing stars to pistols to shotguns. To the best of my knowledge, we (along with many states) have no CPL designation. Generically, in many locations, CCW is indeed synonymous with CCDW and isn't a designation for a type of crime -- perhaps it's different in your specific state.

Next, while you may consider it "idiotic" to place a weapon in an automobile for easy access, many people (dare I say most people licensed to conceal carry) disagree and believe it's a possible good thing. Too many people have been robbed at stop lights or have been involved with car jackings, etc. A personal weapon would be useless in such situations if they were broken down and stored in secured containers as you suggest. In fact, there simply would be no purpose of having a weapon in an auto (other than for mere transportation from point A to B) if it were stored in your preferred manner.

It is interesting to note that as a former LEO, you put quotes around the word "Constitutional" which perhaps suggests you don't respect the Second Amendment. Certainly that's your right and I respect your opinion, but it concerns me when law enforcement displays seemingly cynical views about people exercising their basic rights. It's also unfortunate, in my opinion, that your refer to them as "dumbass CPL holders".

It is indeed reasonable to be concerned about car break-ins and criminals procuring poorly stored firearms. However, I would argue (without really knowing, of course) that this is far from the primary way criminals get guns. If criminals want guns, they will get guns...

Lastly, I disagree that "one is a fool" for wanting to put a firearm within easy access inside their vehicle. A conveniently located Glock under a steering wheel would surely be much more accessible than the same Glock hidden under layers of a shirt, jacket and seatbelt surrounded by a tight bucket seat.

So -- respectfully, I disagree that people who want to make their firearms easily accessible are "dumbasses," "fools," or "idiots." Rather, they're simply different people making different choices....and probably in different states with laws different than the ones with which you're familiar.

After reading the other thread, I think I too might just use one of the magnetic "contraptions" to keep my piece within arm's reach when I so feel the need to do so. It appears to be a good product with lots of recommendations.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:45 AM   #37
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
You sir should NOT be approved for any type of concealed pistol license. NOBODY leaves, stores, or has a "system" for a handgun for a car with an approved concealed pistol license. What? It's actually a very, very common practice, at least down here and other gun-friendly states... Hell, there's plenty that keep semi auto rifles.

Well, here in Florida it is often referred to as a CCW. Sorry. I don't live in Michigan, thank god. All states are different.

It would not be left in the car indefinitely, 24/7, though I understand the concern and things may/probably will change. I'm new to carrying, not new to firearms. My father had two shotguns stolen from his truck before I was born, one of which had the barrel sawed down and was used to shoot up a local high school. Things were different back then. It was an old Browning A5, I own it now.

I would be carrying a compact 9mm at my appendix as well. The "car gun" would become my primary when in it and would only be brought along if I felt the need. Reason being, and I was keeping this to myself, is that I don't want to carry a full size .45 or possibly 10mm, on my person, far too large as I tend to wear, not tight, but "fitted" clothes. Drawing from that position, my appendix, sucks while seated. My body fat percentage is also fine, thanks, I lift 5 days per week and have been regularly for the last year.

As I said though, this could, and likely will, change. I have two months until I'm 21 and another, what, six until I get the license in the mail. Plenty of time to brainstorm and figure the rest out. Truth be told, I simply like to be prepared. I keep a "get home bag" and medical supplies in my car just in case. Used the medical supplies once when I had a buddy with me and we saw a guy get hit by another car, shin bone broke through skin. My buddy, an EMT, helped him. There's a good chance I'd put the car gun in that bag. Maybe even an AR pistol with the Sig brace.

Please don't think I'm ignoring your advice though, I'm soaking everything in. As I said, I'm learning. I don't have anyone that I know personally to teach me this stuff as my father died a while ago and my mom doesn't care for guns, though I have her signed up for a CCW class with me.

Also, I know you're a LEO (i.e. public servant) and my elder, but please refrain from speaking to me in that manner. I don't appreciate it whatsoever. Public servant or not, you're my equal as far as I'm concerned. If you fail to adhere to this request in your next post, then kindly screw off, officer. I'm entirely serious.

Last edited by Synyster; 08-08-2014 at 02:59 AM.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:56 AM   #38
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Respectfully, I would recommend keeping it simple and know your drills for jams and failures for one carry piece, and train with that one pistol. A defensive firearm is different from a range gun; while I know the manual of arms for five or six pistol types and four rifles, that's different from relying on a defensive firearm while under stress.
But I love so many!

I know what you mean though and I agree entirely. Been shooting for 17 years thus far, mastered the AK, extremely fluent with an AR, absolutely awful with handguns haha. Practice makes perfect though, I'll get there. Pistol ammo requiring being 21 has been an issue for me
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #39
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Sounds like a bitter cop who worked in the cesspool of America, Detroit, and witnessed the death of his city. He should worry about all the crack heads, drug dealers, and gang-bangers that inhabit his city, not law abiding citizens who want to protect themselves when the cops can't.

Keep in mind that I come from a long line of NYPD, dating back to the late 1800s. I am definitely not anti-cop.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #40
SabotAndHeat

Drives: 2010 Camaro
There is an passenger seat, floor bolt mounted, adjustable goose neck holster that I've seen online. That might be the way to go. You can adjsut it to stay just to the right of the parking brake handle, or up by the guage cluster.
SabotAndHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:00 AM   #41
2010abmss

Drives: 2010 ABM SS
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Hey you said it!
Old 08-09-2014, 03:52 AM   #42
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenburg View Post
Wow...I respectfully disagree with you on, well, almost everything you wrote and you even sounded a little bitter towards the guy asking an innocent question. We have no reason to believe he's irresponsible or undeserving of a license.

Bitter no, logical yes. Innocent question? This poster needs to read up on quite a bit of material before he asks an inane question.

These laws vary significantly from state to state. I don't know about your state in particular, but in my state of Kentucky, we don't have a pistol license. We simply have a single ccdw license which covers everything from throwing stars to pistols to shotguns. To the best of my knowledge, we (along with many states) have no CPL designation. Generically, in many locations, CCW is indeed synonymous with CCDW and isn't a designation for a type of crime -- perhaps it's different in your specific state.

Next, while you may consider it "idiotic" to place a weapon in an automobile for easy access, many people (dare I say most people licensed to conceal carry) disagree and believe it's a possible good thing. Too many people have been robbed at stop lights or have been involved with car jackings, etc. A personal weapon would be useless in such situations if they were broken down and stored in secured containers as you suggest. In fact, there simply would be no purpose of having a weapon in an auto (other than for mere transportation from point A to B) if it were stored in your preferred manner.

It is interesting to note that as a former LEO, you put quotes around the word "Constitutional" which perhaps suggests you don't respect the Second Amendment. Certainly that's your right and I respect your opinion, but it concerns me when law enforcement displays seemingly cynical views about people exercising their basic rights. It's also unfortunate, in my opinion, that your refer to them as "dumbass CPL holders".

I am NOT a former LEO...I am a current LEO which holds current certification in 2 states (Michigan and Florida) and former certification in Texas and Alaska. Is not the second amendment a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT?

It is indeed reasonable to be concerned about car break-ins and criminals procuring poorly stored firearms. However, I would argue (without really knowing, of course) that this is far from the primary way criminals get guns. If criminals want guns, they will get guns...

Lastly, I disagree that "one is a fool" for wanting to put a firearm within easy access inside their vehicle. A conveniently located Glock under a steering wheel would surely be much more accessible than the same Glock hidden under layers of a shirt, jacket and seatbelt surrounded by a tight bucket seat.

So -- respectfully, I disagree that people who want to make their firearms easily accessible are "dumbasses," "fools," or "idiots." Rather, they're simply different people making different choices....and probably in different states with laws different than the ones with which you're familiar.

After reading the other thread, I think I too might just use one of the magnetic "contraptions" to keep my piece within arm's reach when I so feel the need to do so. It appears to be a good product with lots of recommendations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster View Post
Well, here in Florida it is often referred to as a CCW. Sorry. I don't live in Michigan, thank god. All states are different.

Regardless of nomenclature, the "relative jargon is the same. If you want to get nitpicky on semantics, so be it. If you choose to argue semantics, so be it.

It would not be left in the car indefinitely, 24/7, though I understand the concern and things may/probably will change. I'm new to carrying, not new to firearms. My father had two shotguns stolen from his truck before I was born, one of which had the barrel sawed down and was used to shoot up a local high school. Things were different back then. It was an old Browning A5, I own it now.

I would be carrying a compact 9mm at my appendix as well. The "car gun" would become my primary when in it and would only be brought along if I felt the need. Reason being, and I was keeping this to myself, is that I don't want to carry a full size .45 or possibly 10mm, on my person, far too large as I tend to wear, not tight, but "fitted" clothes. Drawing from that position, my appendix, sucks while seated. My body fat percentage is also fine, thanks, I lift 5 days per week and have been regularly for the last year.

As I said though, this could, and likely will, change. I have two months until I'm 21 and another, what, six until I get the license in the mail. Plenty of time to brainstorm and figure the rest out. Truth be told, I simply like to be prepared. I keep a "get home bag" and medical supplies in my car just in case. Used the medical supplies once when I had a buddy with me and we saw a guy get hit by another car, shin bone broke through skin. My buddy, an EMT, helped him. There's a good chance I'd put the car gun in that bag. Maybe even an AR pistol with the Sig brace.

Please don't think I'm ignoring your advice though, I'm soaking everything in. As I said, I'm learning. I don't have anyone that I know personally to teach me this stuff as my father died a while ago and my mom doesn't care for guns, though I have her signed up for a CCW class with me.

Also, I know you're a LEO (i.e. public servant) and my elder, but please refrain from speaking to me in that manner. I don't appreciate it whatsoever. Public servant or not, you're my equal as far as I'm concerned. If you fail to adhere to this request in your next post, then kindly screw off, officer. I'm entirely serious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010abmss View Post
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Hey you said it!
Reading these post pubescent "what if" video game supposition scenarios has me worried about some of you who believe this bullshit. My OPINION is based on COMMON sense. I support 100% a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to carry, bear, buy, purchase, brandish and use. However, I am AGAINST pure supposition, rhetoric, idiocy, "what if's and neglecting to responsibly contain the provisions of your constitutional right with childlike bullshit based on fantasy

I have been a Detroit Police Officer for 16 years...80% of that time in Special Operations, Fugitive recovery. From my time on the job...and the dangers I face daily, foolish fantasy of gun systems in cars for whatever reason is purely a risk I would NEVER wish upon ANYONE for any reason. I have never had a NEED or REASON to use such a system within my own personal car...let alone a state of the art patrol car putting my life at risk daily...again for the past 25 years. So let's educate and refrain from attempting "cool gun systems in my Camaro" I have never had a use or need for it...and I have been and am within an element of danger EVERY day and do not need nr would EVER want to store or carry my sidearm anywhere else than on my body..why the hell would you want to store or leave a gun in a car when it should be on YOU?

This entire thread is dangerous.... Not because I disagree with it...I disagree because storing a weapon other than on your person that holds a constitutionally provided right to carry concealed could get someone killed.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

Last edited by Banshee; 08-09-2014 at 04:38 AM.
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote