The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-31-2014, 07:51 PM   #29
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
Oh wow, thanks! Pm me with a link or links to your story's, I would love to read them!

Lol, I've already shamelessly posted one up on the first page here. I make it free as often as amazon lets me (about 5 days for every fiscal quarter), I'll post here when it goes free again.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #30
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
An early Stephen King short story:
Quote:
"And I don’t think it actually concerns you. All I want you to do is trot back out there and tell them what I said. Will you do that, Tom?”

“I have no choice, do I?”

“No, that’s right. You don’t. And there’s something else, Tom.”

“What?” He asked it very hesitantly.

“I don’t like you very much, Tom, as you have probably realized, but up to now you haven’t had to give much of a rip how I felt. But I’m out of your filing cabinet now, Tom. Have you got it? I’m not just a record you can lock up at three in the afternoon. Have you got it?” My voice was rising into a scream. “HAVE YOU GOT THAT, TOM? HAVE YOU INTERNALIZED THAT PARTICULAR FACT OF LIFE?”

“Yes, Charlie,” he said in a deadly voice. “I have it.”

“No you don’t, Tom. But you will. Before the day’s over, we are going to understand all about the difference between people and pieces of paper in a file, and the difference between doing your job and getting jobbed. What do you think of that, Tommy, my man?”

“I think you’re a sick boy, Decker.”

“No, you think I’m a sick boy, Charlie. Isn’t that what you meant to say, Tom?”

“Yes…”

“Say it.”

“I think you’re a sick boy, Charlie.” The mechanical, embarrassed rote of a seven-year-old.

“You’ve got some getting it on to do yourself, Tom. Now, get out there and tell them what I said.”
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #31
Muscle Car Lover

Changed my signature, and I think it's worth a read if you like mind blowing stuff, give "Simulacra and Simulation" by Jean Baudrillard a chance. Tjis book was required reading for the cast of "The Matrix" films and it really is interesting, most especially looking around today. Case in point, Facebook, which mimics real relationships but is in itself just a copy of a real relationship.

That said Jean Baudrillard is a nut and I don't recommend giving too much weight to much of his ideas. Still this work is important.

The first time I saw it referenced was by a good friend of mine, Kevin Depew in this article:
http://www.minyanville.com/businessm.../2008/id/16645
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Old 08-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #32
Muscle Car Lover

I have been slacking! Well, I at least like this thread

From Joe Hill's "NOS4A2":
Quote:
“Christmas was almost four months in the rearview mirror, and there was something awful about Christmas music when it was nearly summer. It was like a clown in the rain, with his makeup running.”
And his epic novel "Horns":
Quote:
“IGNATIUS MARTIN PERRISH SPENT the night drunk and doing terrible things. He woke the next morning with a headache, put his hands to his temples, and felt something unfamiliar, a pair of knobby pointed protuberances. He was so ill--wet-eyed and weak--he didn't think anything of it at first, was too hungover for thinking or worry.

But when he was swaying above the toilet, he glanced at himself in the mirror over the sink and saw he had grown horns while he slept. He lurched in surprise, and for the second time in twelve hours he pissed on his feet.”

Old 08-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #33
Muscle Car Lover

Nobody reads anymore. Makes me sad.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #34
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
True story.

I was talking to a girl a few months ago while we were watching the movie Phantoms. I mention how absolutely terrifying and suspenseful the book was. She responded with "How could a book be scary? It's just, like, paper." She and I no longer hangout.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #35
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6bangerBOOM View Post
True story.

I was talking to a girl a few months ago while we were watching the movie Phantoms. I mention how absolutely terrifying and suspenseful the book was. She responded with "How could a book be scary? It's just, like, paper." She and I no longer hangout.
The only film that has truly terrified was was "The Exorcist". You can read my take on it here:
http://economicdisconnect.blogspot.c...-exorcist.html

The book was WAY worse and Blatty's novel "Legion" scared me something awful.

BTW, Blatty's "Dimiter" was great too.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #36
Muscle Car Lover

Very chilling story, the movie was no where close:

Quote:
"..there is an idea of a Patrick Bateman, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.”