Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 04-29-2018, 08:06 PM   #15
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Didn’t have any issues with factory tires in rain down to 40*
Old 04-29-2018, 11:43 PM   #16
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
A set of summer tires, with appropriate tread depth and air pressure, will perform well in the rain.

It’s when your tread depth gets low and you encounter rain that the tires basically turn into slicks.

I live in a warm to moderate climate geographic region. I have have factory summer set that I switched to last month. I also have a set of all season 19s for the fall/winter months.

I tend to avoid driving in the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:13 AM   #17
dperrone
dp77

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
A set of summer tires, with appropriate tread depth and air pressure, will perform well in the rain.

It’s when your tread depth gets low and you encounter rain that the tires basically turn into slicks.

I live in a warm to moderate climate geographic region. I have have factory summer set that I switched to last month. I also have a set of all season 19s for the fall/winter months.

I tend to avoid driving in the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
thanks thats basically what i was hoping for. Im going to daily drive but im not the type of person to do any type of racing and hard acceleration or burnouts or anything so my tires should all last me a very long time.

i really just wanted to know if the run flats actually could handle rain or not. because i have no experience.

thanks!
dperrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:08 AM   #18
Billabongi

Drives: '17 SS 50th Camaro
I'm not sure why folks are saying summer tires are not designed for rain when that's exactly what they are designed for.

Here's a quote from bridgestone "Dimensional characteristics (such as the tire’s width, aspect ratio, and rim diameter), speed capability, and other design features make summer tires more suitable and capable for increased performance in wet and dry conditions on high-performance, sports-oriented vehicles. Surprising to some, summer tires provide better performance in wet driving conditions, thanks to unique tread patterns that help evacuate water and resist hydroplaning."

Now it also comes down to the tire some summer only tires have horrendous rain characteristics but for the most part summer only tires are designed for dry and wet conditions.
2017 50th Anniversary 2LT\RS - #1583 SOLD
2017 50th Anniversary 2SS - #3410
Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:19 PM   #19
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
Winter tires will wear out quickly in the warmer temps. The compound isn’t made for the higher temps.

To answer the question, on just wet roads they are fine. But when there is standing water and it hydroplanes, it gets scary quick.
And the stock summer onlys don’t wear fast? I’d say a toss up but at less cost.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote