Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-29-2018, 03:38 PM   #1
dperrone
dp77

Drives: camaro
Stock 2018 SS tires in summer rain?

Hi everyone!

My question is do the summer-only tires handle rain throughout the summer/fall/spring? Or would it be best to have all seasons in the summer and winters for the snow?

I believe the SS comes with "run flats"? Im 100% not using the summer-only tires in cold weather or snow. I live in Canada so 100% need snow tires. But are the stocks okay for summer with potential rain?
dperrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
If you drive with some common sense they're fine. Just drive a little slower and watch out for hydroplaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:48 PM   #3
dperrone
dp77

Yeah I figure when ever there is rain id just accelerate slower and also use snow/ice mode so the throttle isnt as sensitive
Old 04-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
I put these on my SS last winter with wheels.
245/50R18 Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 Run Flats and wheels. Put the summer onlys in the basement and thinking very seriously of just running these year around. Put the originals back on to sell since it’s a 50th anniversary model SS. The 18” tires with larger sidewalk are much more forgiving of those stupid potholes we have here in Michigan. Deeper tread and man do they grab on wet roads even in the cold. Only downside I can see would be in cornering which I don’t do much of. They also ride smoother and about 1/2 the price.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 View Post
245/50R18 Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 Run Flats and wheels. Put the summer onlys in the basement and thinking very seriously of just running these year around. Put the originals back on to sell since it’s a 50th anniversary model SS. The 18” tires with larger sidewalk are much more forgiving of those stupid potholes we have here in Michigan. Deeper tread and man do they grab on wet roads even in the cold. Only downside I can see would be in cornering which I don’t do much of. They also ride smoother and about 1/2 the price.
Winter tires will wear out quickly in the warmer temps. The compound isn’t made for the higher temps.

To answer the question, on just wet roads they are fine. But when there is standing water and it hydroplanes, it gets scary quick.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:21 PM   #6
srcstc

https://youtu.be/F6klPxkZ6hw

Go to 6:40 for the action.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #7
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
I live in Florida where it rains a lot and never had an issue with the stock tires until they got close to the wear indicators which meant that they needed to be changed anyway. I pushed it a few thousand miles below tread and they were very slippery if it rained when I was out (it's not my daily driver). Afterwards, I put the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on the car and they improved the ride and handle well in the rain. Same as the others said, you still need to use common sense when driving in the rain with such wide tires. You can't drive either of these tires in freezing temps per the manufacturer.
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:10 PM   #8
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I bought stock SS size Pirelli Sottozero winter tires that are mounted on identical rims (245 front/275 rear). That way the car always looks the same but I have the proper tire for the season.

Picture compares stock summer to Sottozero (rears). It’s an investment up front but then you’re covered for tires for quite a while. Drive appropriate for the conditions. No problem in four seasons
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:38 PM   #9
dperrone
dp77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 View Post
yeah im definitely planning on 2 sets of tires. just didnt know if my summers should actually be all seasons or not
Old 04-29-2018, 07:39 PM   #10
dperrone
dp77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwon View Post
I live in Florida where it rains a lot and never had an issue with the stock tires until they got close to the wear indicators which meant that they needed to be changed anyway. I pushed it a few thousand miles below tread and they were very slippery if it rained when I was out (it's not my daily driver). Afterwards, I put the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on the car and they improved the ride and handle well in the rain. Same as the others said, you still need to use common sense when driving in the rain with such wide tires. You can't drive either of these tires in freezing temps per the manufacturer.
yeah 100% im not driving them in the winter. i just wanted to be sure that summer-only run flats can handle rain. ive never had them before
Old 04-29-2018, 07:40 PM   #11
dperrone
dp77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I bought stock SS size Pirelli Sottozero winter tires that are mounted on identical rims (245 front/275 rear). That way the car always looks the same but I have the proper tire for the season.

Picture compares stock summer to Sottozero (rears). It’s an investment up front but then you’re covered for tires for quite a while. Drive appropriate for the conditions. No problem in four seasons
awesome comparison thank you! Yeah im 100% getting a good pair of snow tires the best i can afford but ive always had all seasons for summer and snows for winter on my suv. so ive never had summer-only before. was worried about their rain handling
Old 04-29-2018, 07:49 PM   #12
srcstc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post

I'm debating doing as you did vs getting 18" snow tires on 18" rims. What's the worst weather you drove those on and how was it?

Old 04-29-2018, 07:55 PM   #13
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Summer only tires are not designed for standing water. Light rain is fine, but downpours can cause issues. Just like any other vehicle, operator caution is always recommended in rainy conditions.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:01 PM   #14
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
I'm debating doing as you did vs getting 18" snow tires on 18" rims. What's the worst weather you drove those on and how was it?

I’ve driven two Wisconsin winters running them from late November to late April. Below zero temps and I’d guess around six inches. It’s amazing how well real snow tires work. I never hesitate to go anywhere in any snow conditions. FYI - I did the same thing for 11 years in an 04 GTO.

For me, it’s important that the car always looks the same so I stay with factory size on 20”

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote