Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #1
Goohead
Horsepower whisperer

Drives: Camaro
Whipple and procharger canned/stock tune: how aggressive

Curious to see if anyone who has the whipple and the procharger kit and used the stock time can give some feedback around how aggressive or conservative the tune is regarding a/f and timing.

Only interested in the tune the kits are shipped with instead of any custom tuning.

I know in the past for other platforms the whipple tunes I heard has been very aggressive

Also is there a trend of quality control issues with the whipple? Seems their 2.9 blower for this car has been seeing issue after issue from what I'm reading
Goohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:50 AM   #2
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
The ProCharger tune with the P1SC is VERY conservative. There's a lot of room left. It's great for the average guy, but those of us that race them in any way shape or form will be wondering where the rest is. Lol
Old 07-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goohead View Post
Curious to see if anyone who has the whipple and the procharger kit and used the stock time can give some feedback around how aggressive or conservative the tune is regarding a/f and timing.

Only interested in the tune the kits are shipped with instead of any custom tuning.

I know in the past for other platforms the whipple tunes I heard has been very aggressive

Also is there a trend of quality control issues with the whipple? Seems their 2.9 blower for this car has been seeing issue after issue from what I'm reading
All supercharger companies tune for 91 octane and on the conservative side.

These systems ship all over the world so better safe than sorry.

I offer supercharger tuner kits then provide the necessary upgrades and tuning equipment plus provide FREE custom tuning for your local fuel and through data logging optimize the tuning on your car.

I have a whipple on my shop car and it is amazing no complaints, made 616 RWHP 621 RWTQ on E-60.

Feel free to give me a call. 203-753-7223

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
All supercharger companies tune for 91 octane and on the conservative side.

These systems ship all over the world so better safe than sorry.

I offer supercharger tuner kits then provide the necessary upgrades and tuning equipment plus provide FREE custom tuning for your local fuel and through data logging optimize the tuning on your car.

I have a whipple on my shop car and it is amazing no complaints, made 616 RWHP 621 RWTQ on E-60.

Feel free to give me a call. 203-753-7223

Ted.
Hi Ted. I didn't realize you did this. With the Procharger kit I ordered from you, would you be willing to work with me for a remote tune in my car? I ordered the kit that does come with the x4 (I think) tuner, but I also have HP Tuners software as well. I only run 93 in my car, and this will be only for a couple months because eventually I'll do the ZL1 in tank / lt4 hpfp / injectors and at the point I'm going to drive down and see you for an on site tune / dyno. But meanwhile I would like to get as much out of it as possible.

To the OP: if you read through Ted's posts (he has a dedicated thread for Q&A where my above question should probably be) you will see if you do in fact want tuning whether remote or on site, Jannetty is probably a good place to start.
Eyefixstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:12 AM   #5
Goohead
Horsepower whisperer

Thank for the update cdflyer

Ted I used to live in north haven, and used to go out tonwaterbury a lot wasn't a ls guy back then, more of the 2jz back then.

Would call you'd but my free times are usually not biz hours.

What is the stock whippple time making to the wheel?
What kind of #s for your tune on 91/93 I think the only way I would consider running ethanol is if I can have a 2nd tank to switch over to e85 and run a flex fuel sensor?
Old 07-26-2017, 12:19 AM   #6
Hyper SS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Are you playing games? Why chinsy on a tune? Especially after going FI?
Hyper SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:47 AM   #7
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I don't understand why you are limiting it to Whipple and Procharger. I run the Magnuson and you can get the SCT hand held tune with the 2300 Heartbeat Kit. There have been no quality control issues with the Maggie. My car runs awesome and I've made a bunch of 10.70 passes at Gateway Motorsports in St Louis. I think you need to be open to the Magnuson also. It also has great street manners and gets 25 mpg at 80 mph. What more could you want? Check it out before you make your decision and if you need more info about the Magnuson let me know. I just live 150 miles from you so pm me if you need to. I may be at gateway this weekend for some bracket racing.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #8
Goohead
Horsepower whisperer

Thanks for the feedback.

Hyper- was going to use the stock tune for a conservate timing and fuel till I can pull the engine and build the bottom end with a lower compression piston and forged rods, at which point I would like to tune it on the dyno, didn't want to pay 2x. Does this help explain?

I was thinking about the heartbeat originally but the size of the blower will limit me later, frankly I was concerned about the 2.9l as well. Original plan was to get a f series procharger and just run Low boost until I can button up the bottom end, but through I might have some fun with the whipple and maybe sell it used if I max it out later
Old 07-26-2017, 08:32 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyefixstuff View Post
Hi Ted. I didn't realize you did this. With the Procharger kit I ordered from you, would you be willing to work with me for a remote tune in my car? I ordered the kit that does come with the x4 (I think) tuner, but I also have HP Tuners software as well. I only run 93 in my car, and this will be only for a couple months because eventually I'll do the ZL1 in tank / lt4 hpfp / injectors and at the point I'm going to drive down and see you for an on site tune / dyno. But meanwhile I would like to get as much out of it as possible.

To the OP: if you read through Ted's posts (he has a dedicated thread for Q&A where my above question should probably be) you will see if you do in fact want tuning whether remote or on site, Jannetty is probably a good place to start.
I can help you with either device I custom remote tune with both.

HPtuners does have an edge with more tools on this model.

Contact me at tedj@jannettyracing.com or call me directly at 203-753-7223 and we can discuss a plan to get you the best tuning money can buy.

Ted.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #10
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goohead View Post
Thank for the update cdflyer

Ted I used to live in north haven, and used to go out tonwaterbury a lot wasn't a ls guy back then, more of the 2jz back then.

Would call you'd but my free times are usually not biz hours.

What is the stock whippple time making to the wheel?
What kind of #s for your tune on 91/93 I think the only way I would consider running ethanol is if I can have a 2nd tank to switch over to e85 and run a flex fuel sensor?
Tuning is a lot more than a peak number it is a complete driving experience from the moment you hit the start button.

But to answer your question I made 560 RWH on 9 psi boost on old pump gas, then added the E-85 which worked out to E-60 and made 616 RWHP-621 RWTQ with no other changes.

You can also email me tedj@jannettyracing.com

Ted.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:10 AM   #11
nick_casper

Drives: 16 2SS
I'm still trying to clear some time to install my wide band but once I do I'll post full logs. From what I can log now I get zero KR. The Whipple canned tune does not feel conservative at all but we'll need wideband logs to see exactly what she is doing. My plan was to use the canned tune to make the long drive to a tuner but the experience is so good I'm keeping it.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #12
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Mike has went 9.92@140 with the Magnuson Camaro. How fast do you want to run. At some point you need to have a cage and most tracks won't even let you run. I've already run into that at a couple tracks. I'm changing the pump in mine soon and plan to run really low 10 or high 9's with what I got and the 2300 will be able to make well into the 730 or above range with the stock internals.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #13
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
Mike has went 9.92@140 with the Magnuson Camaro. How fast do you want to run. At some point you need to have a cage and most tracks won't even let you run. I've already run into that at a couple tracks. I'm changing the pump in mine soon and plan to run really low 10 or high 9's with what I got and the 2300 will be able to make well into the 730 or above range with the stock internals.
Mike doesn't have stock internals (I don't think anyways). From everything I've gathered, pushing past 650 whp on stock internals can be very bad with the ring gap problems. My brother broke a piston on his.
Eyefixstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:23 PM   #14
Goohead
Horsepower whisperer

Ted thanks, I know it's not all about peak #s but I figure the power and torque curves would be very similar with the same blower, I'm assuming those 91 #s are your own tune on the dyno and not their canned tune? Do you know what the kit puts out with the stock canned tune? Definitely will be hitting you up when it comes time for a tune I hear great things about your shop

Nick let me know, yeah from other platforms I used the whipple canned tunes were always a little more aggressive than the competition, curious to see if the same applies.

Layno- yeah I would be hesitant to push past 600 on the stock compression and internals. everything I seen points to otherwise.

My goal and timeline was to
Run a stock tune with the blower
Later (3-6 month of daily driving) pull the block and upgrade internals and cam, and tc
Then tune/upgrade fuel and pulley for lower compression higher boost