Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 11-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #1
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Feedback needed. SS Verts running a SOLO catback.

Solo is having a Black Friday special this week and I'm very interested in picking up a Mach XC catback. My concerns are that I don't want anything loud unless I'm on it. I want something that is very quiet at cruise. They advertise this and I'm wondering for those running this system on your SS convertibles if you are satisfied with the noise levels at cruise. My current setup is ARH shorties, Solo high flow cats running through the stock catback. I'm supercharged with 530rwhp. I actually like how quiet it is especially on the freeway. Adding a little rumble, but, not at cruise would be nice. Any other pros and cons are welcomed. TIA.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
SS PANTHER

Anyone?
Old 11-22-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
LaN-

Drives: 2014 SS Convertible
Get the npp it's the best with the exhaust controller. Real quiet with the flaps closed.

628/525

Suspension: Koni orange, (BMR everything) 1" drop springs, toe rods, trailer arms, non adjustable LCR, FE4 sway bars, sub frame connectors, delrin sub frame bushing and upper control arm bushings. Front bushings.
LaN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:24 PM   #4
SS PANTHER

I love the NPP. It was available for the LS3 Camaro's in 2013, but, not the L99. I hear though that it is an expensive mod with the electronics and vacuum lines especially if you can't find a used one.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #5
Thawilster

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS L99 Vert
I had the Solo Mach XC cat back installed last year...caught the Black Friday deal. At cruise speeds it's very mellow, even with the top down. Nice bark on start ups and nice deep growl during acceleration. I'm pleased! It's probably a great choice considering your mods because you can adjust the j-pipes if needed to cancel out any drone.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:03 PM   #6
SS PANTHER

Thanks for your feedback. At 70mph how is the sound/rumble compared to the stock exhaust? Any complaints?
Old 11-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #7
Thawilster

I'd say the tone is deeper and more pronounced than stock. At cruise speeds you kinda feel the rumble more than you hear it, if that makes sense. You can still talk with your front seat passenger and/or hear your radio when cruising at 70 with the top down. Although I wish it was a little louder at normal cruise speeds, I do love the tone.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:26 PM   #8
SS PANTHER

Again, thank you for your input. I'm probably going to pull the trigger.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:53 PM   #9
JLGO

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS convertible L99
I was told by phastek that any exhaust for the gen5 V8 that is 2.5" piping will fit and with 3" there is clearing issues. Again I was told, no need to go to a catback because the stock one is already 2.5". You can get the solo just the axleback, there is no need to buy a catback unless u want a few pounds off the car.

Last edited by JLGO; 11-25-2016 at 03:01 PM. Reason: None
JLGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:54 PM   #10
SS PANTHER

Well, I pulled the trigger and purchased the Solo Mach XC catback. I have been eyeing this for a couple of years. This will give me better flow with an x-pipe over the factory h-pipe, j-pipes to eliminate drone, 4.5" polished tips and this will eliminate the butterfly valves, huge muffler cans and shed 15lbs.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:19 PM   #11
Thawilster

Congrats! I'd be interested to know your thoughts after installing, especially in terms of volume with your headers and HFCs. I've yet to find a vert in my area with that set up to hear it in person.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:57 AM   #12
SS PANTHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thawilster View Post
Congrats! I'd be interested to know your thoughts after installing, especially in terms of volume with your headers and HFCs. I've yet to find a vert in my area with that set up to hear it in person.
Right now I have mixed feelings. Pros: The rattling from the AFM valves in the exhaust is gone, this system is 15lbs lighter than stock, Tips look great, easy install and good fit. Not obnoxious sounding. Deep tone, nice sounding going through the paddle shifts and nice at WOT. My wife heard me coming up the hill coming home and says it sounds like a sports/performance car now. I have shorties with the Solo high flows and it now sounds like a V8 muscle car. Cons: Not sure as today was the first day installed, but, I think it is about personal preference. I find the system to be a little on the loud side as I was so use to the factory quiet, which, I actually liked. I will have to see if I get accustomed to the sound. I will post clips when I get a chance. Quick update. Just started it remotely from in the house to the garage in front and it is considerably louder. It is a deep powerful sound. She said the same thing. My young son will probably love it. My wife and I felt like I can wake the neighbors now.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #13
Thawilster

How would you describe the difference in the cabin now at cruising speeds...top up and down?
Old 12-14-2016, 09:37 PM   #14
SS PANTHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thawilster View Post
How would you describe the difference in the cabin now at cruising speeds...top up and down?
More of a hum, whereas there was nothing before. Since it is just a weekend car, I have not had a chance to evaluate it more. My best friend who has a Huracan thinks it sounds much better from the outside than it did, but, he has not ridden inside yet. The Huracan is loud on the inside, so, it probably will be quiet to him.