Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-28-2017, 01:53 AM   #1
Goohead
Horsepower whisperer

Drives: Camaro
Whipple install questions

Ran into a couple of questions working on this Whipple install.

1) the hub for the atomic damper, when pressing on how far does it sit out from front seal and the lip? (Pics below) feels like I bottom it out but from the looks of it it should go in more? (Also pic of ID for reference.

2) was the replacement 160 thermostat suppose to look like the factory one with the seal? One I got looks like it an all copper front without any seal

3) i really don’t like the coolant expansion tank design where the bolts go into the holes in the tank, but there is no metal insert supporting it etc. has anyone found a way to install a ID sleeve or something of the sort?

Pics below:

Goohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:07 AM   #2
brettman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
3/8 fuel line, perfect fit, and you don't crush the tank overnighting.
My thermostat was exactly the same as OEM. I had no problem with lower pulley.
I just installed it as directed, but after laser-ing, I had to shim tensioner pulley.
Attached Images

2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

Car Journal http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490975

SC build http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492656

Drive, Ride, Fly It Like You Stole It

GO BIG OR GO HOME
brettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #3
Goohead
Horsepower whisperer

Hey thanks I think I got sent the wrong thermostat.

Also do you remember or know the clearance between the back of the damper and the timing cover?
Goohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #4
brettman

No I don't Sir, My thought was if it was wrong (to align with pulleys) for tracking,
I would remove it and correct. As stated, only problem was tracking on tensioner.
Just take your time, CK every part. Install it once.....Unlike the first ones..LOL
2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Old 11-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #5
Charles@ Whipple SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goohead View Post
Ran into a couple of questions working on this Whipple install.

1) the hub for the atomic damper, when pressing on how far does it sit out from front seal and the lip? (Pics below) feels like I bottom it out but from the looks of it it should go in more? (Also pic of ID for reference.

2) was the replacement 160 thermostat suppose to look like the factory one with the seal? One I got looks like it an all copper front without any seal

3) i really don’t like the coolant expansion tank design where the bolts go into the holes in the tank, but there is no metal insert supporting it etc. has anyone found a way to install a ID sleeve or something of the sort?

Pics below:

The brass thermostat supplied by us that you have in your hand is the correct one. Just toss the old seal out, it is not needed with our thermostat.
Charles@ Whipple SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:09 PM   #6
nick_casper

Drives: 16 2SS
I looked at mine and you can't tell how far the hub is on with the pulleys in place. I took a pic the best I could. Torque it right and you will be ok: it won't move in our out from there. You may have to adjust after for perfect alignment. My belt was on the tensioner but not centered, I used a few washers to space it out for peace of mind. I lined the coolant tank holes with tubing. What I actually used was a cheap tire pressure gauge gutted and epoxied in place (it fit and was on hand) but in retrospect I doubt you need additional support. Holler if you have more questions. Edit to add: I wasn’t familiar with how to use the insert nuts so I used longer bolts to go all the way through the crash bar.
Attached Images

Last edited by nick_casper; 11-28-2017 at 09:45 PM.
nick_casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:24 AM   #7
brettman

I highly recommend that you bend these lines to to drivers side before you install the SC. You will have room to work. I was lucky (or unlucky) I had to remove the SC to send it back. So I fixed the fuel lines. Good luck on your install.
Attached Images

GO BIG OR GO HOME