Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #1
DazednConfused

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Stainless Works Retro vs. Solo axleback with J pipes

Hello everyone, I've seen a bunch of threads on both of these exhaust systems, but wanted more input on what your opinions are between the two. These seem to be two of the most popular exhaust for the sound that I'm looking for, just torn between the two.

I have a 2015 SS auto with the L99, and I don't plan on doing headers anytime soon. I have the AFM tuned out already, so that's not an issue. Right now I'm running the MRT v8 version with a Jegs X-pipe resonator delete, and I'm not to sure im really happy with the sound or drone.

It's hard to really get the actual sound from YouTube videos even with stereo headphones. If you have videos of the v8 without headers with either of these two, please feel free to post. Just mainly want input on your thoughts if you have either of these or have heard both in person. Thanks in advance and really look forward to your posts.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Here is the Retro Chambered cat back on a bone stock SS. We need to do one with the Solo as well. I can tell you the Retro has a deeper tone and will be louder.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 12-07-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
DazednConfused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
Here is the Retro Chambered cat back on a bone stock SS. We need to do one with the Solo as well. I can tell you the Retro has a deeper tone and might be just a little louder.

Cool thanks. I've been checking out the SW Retro on your site, which is the best price I've found so far. I'll be looking to buy my exhaust over the next few months. I'm definitely leaning towards the SW right now, but I've seen a lot of threads about people loving the Solo's as well.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
Mongo36

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I was torn between the two also, I went with the Solo Mach XL with J pipe. I feel the same way about the video sound. I made my decision to go with the Solo because everyone said it eliminated the drone. I love 'um, no drone! Nice deep sound.

http://http://youtu.be/sM4VsLYcbfs
'14 2SS/RS Cold Air Induction CAI - Solo Preformance ultra high flow Cats - Solo Performance Mach XL cat back exhaust - Opt7 HID fog lights - Headlight Armor headlight protection and smoked side markers - 3M Scotchgard clear bra - ZL1 Rock Guards - Autobot gas cover and side emblems - Autobot console lid - Permagrin :u
Mongo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #5
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
I went through the same thing, took Me forever to decide. I finally went with Solo and actually driving up and getting it installed tomorrow.
Check your pms
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:38 PM   #6
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Go loud or go home. Longtube headers no mufflers
Old 12-05-2015, 05:05 PM   #7
Mongo36

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Go loud or go home. Longtube headers no mufflers
Do you drink a lot? Just wondering, because your post does not apply to the original question.
'14 2SS/RS Cold Air Induction CAI - Solo Preformance ultra high flow Cats - Solo Performance Mach XL cat back exhaust - Opt7 HID fog lights - Headlight Armor headlight protection and smoked side markers - 3M Scotchgard clear bra - ZL1 Rock Guards - Autobot gas cover and side emblems - Autobot console lid - Permagrin :u
Mongo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:30 PM   #8
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
If performance upgrades aren't planned, save some $$$s and do an axle back.

I went with the SW retro chamber exhaust and am very pleased with it, but lots of mods.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:41 AM   #9
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazednConfused View Post
Cool thanks. I've been checking out the SW Retro on your site, which is the best price I've found so far. I'll be looking to buy my exhaust over the next few months. I'm definitely leaning towards the SW right now, but I've seen a lot of threads about people loving the Solo's as well.

I have a buddy who just installed SW Retro catback and I've been running Solo since April. Both systems sound great. He has a LS3 I have a L99. Mine has zero done even with AFM and IMO a little more kick on startup. His he said experienced a little done, not maddening, but a little done. You can't go wrong with either, but obviously I love Solo and wouldn't go any other way.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:24 AM   #10
DazednConfused

Thanks everyone for the posts and please keep them coming. I have another 1-2 months before I purchase mine. So far it seems I can't go wrong either way between the two.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #11
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Why the axle back and not the solo catback? They're both around the same price?
Old 12-06-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
jdrop01

Drives: 05 GTO
Stainless retro here and I love it to death. Sounds great,no drone and I just drove from Nevada to Texas.
jdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #13
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
I have the SW retro mated to long tubes so not sure how it sounds without headers. With my headers I have a slight drone around 2K RPM. Also, drone is different from driver to driver. Each driver has a different level for what they consider drone. I have got nothing but positive reactions to my exhaust. It sounds like a true muscle car now. Deep growl and great sound when giving it some gas. The Solo catback would little to no drone due to the J pipes. I haven't heard it in person, but hear great things about it too. I picked SW retro because it is 3" and loved the sound.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #14
Thawilster

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS L99 Vert
After a year of contemplating, I purchased the Solo Mach XC kit and had it installed this weekend. Deep mello tone, zero drone and no regrets!