Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
dperrone
dp77

Drives: camaro
Is a cat-back without a tune safe to do? (SS with AFM)

Trying to decide between borla atak axle back and cat back. I have an SS with active fuel management. Im not looking to tune the AFM out and possibly void my warranty. I know the v4 mode has valves to help with the back pressure.

If i get a cat back which replaces the valves with straight pipes, can any damage come to the engine with a less restrictive exhaust? The car will still be free to cut off half the engine

The catback is way more expensive so I want to be sure
dperrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
Might throw codes with the AFM valves being disconnected.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:03 PM   #3
dperrone
dp77

Quote:
Originally Posted by drperry View Post

Pretty sure you plug them into dummies or something like that to not throw error codes
Old 10-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #4
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by drperry View Post

Then you should be good.... V4 mode can sound odd, though

drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
MrRuss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
You can't get dummy plug in's and most who take the AFM exhaust valves out leave the valve solenoid/motor pugged in and tucked up out of the way, zip tied or clamped.

Tuning is the only way to remove them altogether and not get CEL's. You can disable the AFM with a Range OBDII plug in, no tune and keeps the warranty. The Range still won't allow you to remove the AFM exhaust valves without CEL's but eliminates the V4 issue.

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero

My Garage:
'16 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS, Summit White, Adrenaline Red
-- Rotofab CAI, Soler TB, 1 7/8 coated LT's, Full 3" mids, 3" Stainless Works NPP mufflers, Flex Fuel, E85/91 tuned
'20 Honda Oddysey Elite 25th Anniversary Edition
--wifes car, she said "No more SUV's" after the 2 CX-9's totaled
MrRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
dperrone
dp77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRuss View Post
You can't get dummy plug in's and most who take the AFM exhaust valves out leave the valve solenoid/motor pugged in and tucked up out of the way, zip tied or clamped.

Tuning is the only way to remove them altogether and not get CEL's. You can disable the AFM with a Range OBDII plug in, no tune and keeps the warranty. The Range still won't allow you to remove the AFM exhaust valves without CEL's but eliminates the V4 issue.
Okay I guess just keeping them intact and hiding them away is what I meant by "dummy". I saw an installation but I didnt realize they just kept it intact.

I've just been worried because I haven't seen much information and I figure most people who did the catback actually tuned or disabled AFM.

Im really trying to decide between the borla atak axle or catback lol
Old 10-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #7
CodeCody

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
I got the catback when EFI tuning was still selling the AFM plugins that got rid of the check engine light but kept the functionality. I could have sworn Borla mid pipes had AFM actuator mounts.
CodeCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #8
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
With Borla, you get the axle back then the correct midpipe that keeps the AFM. That makes it the cat back package.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #9
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Yes it is safe to do on any car and despite what you read it will increase performance and gas mileage (if you keep your foot out of it). I have installed CAT backs on a lot of cars I have owned over the last 40 years and always see immediate results in performance and gas mileage. Most recent was my 2016 Miata ND- performance increase I noticed idling and starting off and all throughout the RPM range and MPG went up 4 MPG. And on my 2017 FIST- much more upper end and gained at least 2 MPG. And of course as an added benefit you get sound. My favorite and best mod I always do first.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:20 AM   #10
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
ATAK catback includes AFM valves if you get that option. You would have nothing to worry about if that's the one you're planning to pull the trigger on.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #11
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
all of the passive valves related to AFM are for aesthetic sound purposes. They serve no performance purpose.

Remove them if you want, you just start hearing a slightly different tone when you switch to V4 mode.

Since you're only ever in v4 mode when cruising at no throttle, who cares what it sounds like. 1 less obstruction is worth it. Tuning it out fully is only something i'd consider if you never drove on the highway. Contrary to some forum opinion, V4 mode does save significant fuel while cruising and it's worth retaining. Plenty of ecu tuning options out there and it is possible to have afm tied to a switch. That's how I'm setup.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #12
gmw0181

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Stainless Works has cat back with afm delete and with afm valves. You choose. I have the Stainless Works cat back with afm delete. The motors bolt to the exhaust to ground them. The car does not know any the valves are gone.
gmw0181 is offline   Reply With Quote