Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
LS9 rotating assembly in an LS3?

OK, I've done a little checking and based on my research... which isn't a whole lot... it looks like the Crank, Rods and pistons from the LS9 would be a direct replacement for the LS3...

OK. So we all know the LS3 heads flow pretty well. Is it recommended to go with the LS9 internals on a stock LS3 block????

IF so, would it be worth it???

is there a better aftermarket option out there? Am I even making any sense at all???

Tuners, sponsors and members please share your thoughts on this.

I'm thinking I might learn a few things from this discussion.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Have you looked into buying a shortblock. There are some companies out there that are making a really good product very reasonably priced...

I'm not really biased, but I do know that you can get a forged balanced blue printed LS-3 sleeved block from ERL for less than 4 grand...

There are some options for head studs etc... Those are all a personal choice... You know the power I'm putting down and other than cooking a turbo for what ever reason, I've had no issues so far... Time will tell on that of course... though they say that a motor with big power will fail pretty quickly if there is a fault.... and yes, I've pushed mine really hard already, though it is on a very conservative and safe tune...

As for the LS-3 heads, I know they have the capability to flow at least 390 CFM... Ask me how I know...

Just asking...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
GTAHVIT
Blessed

I'm really just thinking out loud here.

At some point a while from now, I'd like a bullet proof ( as much as that is possible and affordable ) 700RWHP build.

I'm just wondering about the feasability of using the LS9 internals or if anyone would even consider it?
Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
paul2010

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1278
For the price you could probably build better cheaper. Also the LS9 heads are much better. From what I understand LS9 ported heads you can run more timing and get much better flow then LS3 ported heads.
2012 ZL1 #1278

2010 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
2011 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
paul2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
GMPP catalogue has the race top end with flowed & ported head which would work fine on a stock LS3 bottom end. I'm building a NA motor & not going with a blower or turbo However as 700 hp causes lots of things to break & is not good for the bank account as you will always be fixing broken parts...

Post Tenebras Lux

full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
Irnwkrkev

Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
LS9 rotating assembly = BIG $,$$$. Titanium rods, forged crank, forged pistons, new flywheel for crank, etc. You can build a strong enough motor just by swapping to aftermarket forged rods and pistons... of course while you're at it a stroker crank is a cheap upgrade when rebuilding the shortblock. The factory crank will handle 700+ hp all day long though.
Irnwkrkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnwkrkev View Post
LS9 rotating assembly = BIG $,$$$. Titanium rods, forged crank, forged pistons, new flywheel for crank, etc. You can build a strong enough motor just by swapping to aftermarket forged rods and pistons... of course while you're at it a stroker crank is a cheap upgrade when rebuilding the shortblock. The factory crank will handle 700+ hp all day long though.
I hadn't thought about the flywheel... I did like the idea of Titanium rods... but I guess that might be overkill for what I'm thinking... I was pretty sure the stock LS3 crank would hold up but wasn't sure. So... maybe LS9 heads????

Again, I'm thinking there are just as good or better aftermarket heads for less money???
Old 05-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Does PQ know about your latest premonition...:emoticon7:
Old 05-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Does PQ know about your latest premonition...:emoticon7:
OH dude, this is so far down the road... He's got nothing to worry about...

Old 05-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
A forged shortblock from a sponsor will be cheaper and stronger. Titanium rods are not the strongest out there.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #11
Hess Motorsports
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS with WAY TOO MANY MODS
Hey guys..... I hate to burst your bubble but converting to LS9 isn't that simple or cheap. yes the parts are similar for cubic inch but that is where it all ends. Don't foget the LS9 has a 1.5" longer crankshaft snout to drive the two oil pumps for the partial dry sump AND for the larger 6/11 rib drive belts. Whcih means you will have to buy all LS9 timing components, front cover, water pump, accesories, A/C system, power steering components, a dry sump pan, AND build a custom oil reservior.

The job is a complete nightmare (we just finished a complete LS9 conversion including blower) and the misc parts required to complete it properly put the job cost well over the point where it would be worth it to 99% of customers.

For the money, use the new Darton sleeves (stronger than LSx block AND, you can keep the weight down and better cooling), port your heads, run a ZR1 cam, stroke it out to 434CID and toss forced induction on it. There is an easy 1000hp recipe that makes sense
Hess Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:38 AM   #12
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hess Motorsports View Post
Hey guys..... I hate to burst your bubble but converting to LS9 isn't that simple or cheap. yes the parts are similar for cubic inch but that is where it all ends. Don't foget the LS9 has a 1.5" longer crankshaft snout to drive the two oil pumps for the partial dry sump AND for the larger 6/11 rib drive belts. Whcih means you will have to buy all LS9 timing components, front cover, water pump, accesories, A/C system, power steering components, a dry sump pan, AND build a custom oil reservior.

The job is a complete nightmare (we just finished a complete LS9 conversion including blower) and the misc parts required to complete it properly put the job cost well over the point where it would be worth it to 99% of customers.

For the money, use the new Darton sleeves (stronger than LSx block AND, you can keep the weight down and better cooling), port your heads, run a ZR1 cam, stroke it out to 434CID and toss forced induction on it. There is an easy 1000hp recipe that makes sense
What would a 418 forged cost labor included, thinking about doing this soon
Old 05-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #13
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hess Motorsports View Post

Just for a point of discussion..

Like we've mentioned above,

What about on the stock LS3 crank??? does it make sense to go with LS9 rods and pistons?
Old 05-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
i would like to know what parts are essential for a forged ls3 and what stock parts I can keep,