Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-19-2021, 08:28 AM   #29
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious_Ivy1LE View Post
that's precisely it.. in GM world GM DOES want dealers to drive volume. I can't speak for Ford and Dodge as I've Never worked there but at the GMC store I worked at the dealer hand picked 100% of it's inventory. which isn't a sustainable business model to increase sales. the exception (to my knowledge) are wanting an additional allocation of "X" vehicle and they might push some holdover units of "Y" vehicle onto you that haven't been picked up because whoever ordered it hasn't been selling.

GM is the one who does all this research prior to introducing, modifying or deleting trim/option packages so why let dealers be in control. they only know their market and truthfully they don't know it all too well which is why they end up doing dealer trades left and right.
But it doesn't matter what GM "wants", it matters what they incent the dealers to actually DO. And quite frankly, I can't stand manufacturers like Toyota that make all of the decisions on what lands on dealership lots so the consumer has ZERO CHOICE in what they can buy.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:29 AM   #30
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
The dealer by me has seven 1LT in the 28K to 30K range and one 2SS 52K - so a total of 8.

Dodge dealer has 26 Challengers ranging from 32K to mid 50K
Ford Dealer has Five Mustangs ranging from 32K to 100K (but that is one GT500) the rest are EcoBoosts

The GT500 sticker is 78K they are asking $99,500

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:38 AM   #31
Envious_Ivy1LE

Drives: Krypton Green V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
But it doesn't matter what GM "wants", it matters what they incent the dealers to actually DO. And quite frankly, I can't stand manufacturers like Toyota that make all of the decisions on what lands on dealership lots so the consumer has ZERO CHOICE in what they can buy.
that business model clearly sells cars. and just like any other brand, if you want a car a certain way you can order it.

makes more sense to me to have people who want Purple car with a red interior and a sunroof but base level speakers to have to order the car than making someone who just wants a base model car with a manual order it.
Envious_Ivy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:41 AM   #32
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
that business model clearly sells cars. and just like any other brand, if you want a car a certain way you can order it.

makes more sense to me to have people who want Purple car with a red interior and a sunroof but base level speakers to have to order the car than making someone who just wants a base model car with a manual order it.
You can not order a Toyota "how you want it." The best you can do is to place what is called a "Preference Order" where, IF they build one that way, they will attempt to get it to your local dealer. The dealership will TELL you they're ordering it, but that isn't how it works.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:42 AM   #33

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...chip-shortage/

FWIW Car and Driver thinks things will still get worse before they get better....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:44 AM   #34
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...chip-shortage/

FWIW Car and Driver thinks things will still get worse before they get better....
And other articles have started to say that there's an end in sight for the shortage based on Taiwan Semiconductor's most recent quarterly filings. In other words, everyone has a crystal ball and they're all on the fritz.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:45 AM   #35
Envious_Ivy1LE

Quote:
You can not order a Toyota "how you want it." The best you can do is to place what is called a "Preference Order" where, IF they build one that way, they will attempt to get it to your local dealer. The dealership will TELL you they're ordering it, but that isn't how it works.
interesting. didn't know that. but it doesn't change the fact the road is littered with Toyotas.. so either they are doing something right or ordering a car really isn't that important to most people. both options mean GM should change it's business model
Old 07-19-2021, 08:49 AM   #36
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
interesting. didn't know that. but it doesn't change the fact the road is littered with Toyotas.. so either they are doing something right or ordering a car really isn't that important to most people. both options mean GM should change it's business model
It is simply the perception (real or not) that they are trouble free.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:49 AM   #37
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
People have bought into the hype about how "great" Toyota cars are. And they've been pushing their "best resale value" crap so hard for so long that they have ALSO changed their business model to where everyone pays the same price for a car. Toyota not only determines MSRP, but they also essentially mandate the actual selling price as well (and it's based on the market).

I tried to negotiate a deal on a Highlander about four years ago for my in-laws and the dealership was super snobby about the pricing and wouldn't budge. I thanked them for their time and told them I was heading for the Subaru lot. The salesperson called two days later fully expecting that we were ready to cave and literally had no words when he was told - "Sorry, can't talk as we're heading to sign the papers and delivery of the new Subaru."
Old 07-19-2021, 08:57 AM   #38
Envious_Ivy1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
It is simply the perception (real or not) that they are trouble free.
hopefully we can get a Ford / Dodge salesman to pipe in on how cars are handled for them

Quote:
People have bought into the hype about how "great" Toyota cars are. And they've been pushing their "best resale value" crap so hard for so long that they have ALSO changed their business model to where everyone pays the same price for a car. Toyota not only determines MSRP, but they also essentially mandate the actual selling price as well (and it's based on the market).

I tried to negotiate a deal on a Highlander about four years ago for my in-laws and the dealership was super snobby about the pricing and wouldn't budge. I thanked them for their time and told them I was heading for the Subaru lot. The salesperson called two days later fully expecting that we were ready to cave and literally had no words when he was told - "Sorry, can't talk as we're heading to sign the papers and delivery of the new Subaru."
they aren't exactly wrong. high resale because things rarely change so people know what to expect. but that's kind of besides the point. hopefully a Ford / Dodge rep who happens to be on the forum will chime in on how they handle ordering vehicles at the dealer level
Old 07-19-2021, 09:15 AM   #39
ckt227

Drives: CHEVROLET CORVETTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
Auto trader in Southwest FL has v8 Camaros listed. Roger Dean, Estero Bay, and also I saw a few in the Bradenton and Sarasota areas.
The red 2SS 1LE in transit to Roger Dean in Cape Coral FL is the car I ordered in February. Still toying with the idea of not getting it. If anyone is interested let me know. MSRP was around $53k. Just about every option but sunroof and PDR and its an A10.
ckt227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:07 AM   #40
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
Auto trader in Southwest FL has v8 Camaros listed. Roger Dean, Estero Bay, and also I saw a few in the Bradenton and Sarasota areas.
weird...only thing i can think of is since stingray is in "poorer" central florida the southern dealers are getting their cars first? are these camaros brand new off the transporter?
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:38 AM   #41
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Quote:

They are still same. We give you 0 apr or little discounts but apr. some models wont offer 0 apr anymore. My family owned pretty much every Toyota since 1998. We still “like” them but i wont say they are best like before. Drives feels same old. Some how every Toyota we bought had sorta alignment issues. Btw there are only two holds their value are 4runner and Tacoma, rest are just…
Old 07-19-2021, 12:56 PM   #42
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Yes, understood and agreed on what the statement was. Dealers don't drive volume, manufacturers do. If GM genuinely wanted to move units of the Camaro, they would be incenting the dealerships to push certain trims. Otherwise, dealerships are going to focus on reducing selling costs and increasing margin per unit because each dealership can only help themselves.

True. Also, GM offers sh*tty incentives for their cars generally. Hell, even last Sept when the shortage was just starting but not bad, Ford still was offering great incentives on the Mustang GT. 0 percent and also had rebates, cash back as well. I nearly considered a base model new GT.

At the same time Chevy had jack sh*t for the Camaro. I think the only think I saw was $1000 on left over model year.

Dodge offers some great incentives as well.

Does GM just not want to sell cars?
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote