The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-21-2021, 01:16 PM   #15
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Yeah overpriced and unproven. I will just hang on to my 2011 Silverado.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:29 AM   #16

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
One other thing to consider....These EV Ford trucks will all be eligible for the $7,500 Tax Credit....The EV Silverado will not as Chevy has previously used up their quota of eligible tax credits...

My guess is the Ford EV MSRP is artificially high, as buyers will factor in the Tax Credit, and Ford will take advantage, basically using the tax credit as a ADM. A Silverado EV MSRP should be significantly less than the

Ford, due to no customer tax credit. The tax credits and incentives are skewing the actual cost and popularity of one vehicle vs. another. Chevy's EV Silverado will have to be much lower priced than Ford's EV truck

just to compete for a market share...Just a thought.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #17
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
One other thing to consider....These EV Ford trucks will all be eligible for the $7,500 Tax Credit....The EV Silverado will not as Chevy has previously used up their quota of eligible tax credits...

My guess is the Ford EV MSRP is artificially high, as buyers will factor in the Tax Credit, and Ford will take advantage, basically using the tax credit as a ADM. A Silverado EV MSRP should be significantly less than the

Ford, due to no customer tax credit. The tax credits and incentives are skewing the actual cost and popularity of one vehicle vs. another. Chevy's EV Silverado will have to be much lower priced than Ford's EV truck

That's an interesting point I wasn't aware of. I didn't know GM had already burned through their credits. If the person isn't a diehard ("never buy a Ford") type of buyer, that is a pretty huge reason for someone to go with Ford over the Silverado EV when the time comes. I still think the Silverado EV may offer more distance (at least as an option) and may also offer faster charging. I don't seem GM beating Ford much on price, so they are going to have to have some reasons to buy Silverado EV over Lightning.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:46 AM   #18
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
300 mile range in a truck is definitely a yuppy truck.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
That's an interesting point I wasn't aware of. I didn't know GM had already burned through their credits. If the person isn't a diehard ("never buy a Ford") type of buyer, that is a pretty huge reason for someone to go with Ford over the Silverado EV when the time comes. I still think the Silverado EV may offer more distance (at least as an option) and may also offer faster charging. I don't seem GM beating Ford much on price, so they are going to have to have some reasons to buy Silverado EV over Lightning.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...t-ev-revealed/

GM is pathetically crying "foul" that the tax credit is ending. And magically the price of the Bolt gets dramatically reduced after the incentive ended. An EV Silverado should have a smaller MSRP right out of the gate.

The tax credit for the "customers" basically goes into the pocket of the manufacturers, and Chevy has gotten their share already, but want to double-dip.

Likely the same will happen with the Ford EV truck. This whole nightmare of subsidies pricing games needs to end. The sooner the better.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:04 AM   #20
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
This whole nightmare of subsidies pricing games needs to end. The sooner the better.
That's right. The consumers should be picking the winners and losers.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:12 AM   #21

If I were buying a Ford EV truck or any vehicle eligible for the tax credit, I would tell the dealer, "Take $7500.00 off the MSRP and I'll buy it. I want to get the Tax Credit, not the manufacturer."

Or wait until the incentives are gone, and the MSRP will likely get reduced accordingly.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:49 AM   #22
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
300 mile range in a truck is definitely a yuppy truck.
for people that use their trucks for truck stuff I agree

You know what most pick up trucks around me do though? They haul air, and one driver to and from work, and maybe the occasional trip to home depot. Occasionally take the family out to dinner.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:41 AM   #23
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Really not sure what to make of it. I am glad that Ford kept the overall look of their F150. It is an attractive pickup (even though I am not a ford fan) and it is in a very strong position to advocate and support the electric car field.

However, I am not yet convinced that electric cars and trucks are the end all of vehicles. I am assuming that charge time for cars have or will improve, yet the dependability of current gas powered cars is at a very good level and will be difficult to match by the current technology of electric cars. I really think that we need at least two energy type alternatives to progress from fossil fuel cars (if we will ever do this).

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:02 PM   #24
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
I applaud Ford for keeping it on the same F-150 chassis and making it look normal. They could've changed everything and make it look stupid (i.e. Tesla..). The frunk under the 'hood' is a great idea and the price is attractive too.
Overall, I don't see this selling well. The 300 mile distance is not really impressive and the miles must drop quickly if you tow/haul anything with some weight. I just don't see this EV trend catching on until the infrastructure increases to support long-distance EV travel. I can definitely see most gas stations sometime in the future having charging stations that can charge EV's quickly but, until that happens, EV's won't be successful.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #25
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
So, apparently the 230 and 300 mile range versions are achieved with 1000lbs of payload in the truck. So, if you're talking empty (driver only) weight, you'll see quite a bit more range.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #26
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
So, apparently the 230 and 300 mile range versions are achieved with 1000lbs of payload in the truck. So, if you're talking empty (driver only) weight, you'll see quite a bit more range.
Saw that on autoblog or something, they calculated out that it should be closer to 400 if its just driver and truck but take that with grain of salt
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:07 AM   #27
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
The Ford does have me intrigued - ASSUMING!!! you believe the specs, and they are accurate. 300 miles range is kind of crappy. But if it can power my house for 3 days it could easily power my camper for a lot longer. I visit people and this would be an awesome way to travel.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:46 AM   #28
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
The difference should be (and the reason for the incentive in the first place) is that GM should be further down the learning curve and have a better developed economy of scale in bringing Silverado EV to market. GM's several years of headstart in developing and producing EVs should result in more than a $7,500 per unit improvement in development and production costs. So arguably, Ford may be under more pressure to price their truck so that the $7,500 credit can still keep it at price parity with GM. We'll see when prices are announced. GM should have more flexibility than Ford in terms of pricing. And if the Biden Administration is successful in restoring the credits for GM and Tesla (the only two companies who've sold enough product to exhaust their allotment) GM will have a bigger pricing advantage.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote