The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-01-2021, 08:45 AM   #1
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
If you were going to buy a C7....

I'm curious what sort of guidance would be offered up towards buying a C7. Which specific model/trim and why?

When I was originally looking to see what was out there for Camaro's last year, a local dealer showed me info for a C7 GS manual that was pretty interesting to look at, but I know nothing about the various versions of that car to know which ones would be considered more/less desirable or reliable. Does anyone have any input on any of the details that I might want to know about?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:12 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
I have owned 3 C7's.....loved them all.

as far as the different Trims (LT1, LT2, & LT3) and models....it truely depends on how you intend to use/drive your car. The GS (Grand Sport) you mentioned is a great mix of track and luxury.

If you intend to track your car you need to ensure the car you are looking at has the Z51 package (handling pkg)
If you don't intend to track the car, its not needed, and when new, was a $5000 option.

with the Z51 pkg...one gearing is slightly different, such that the car would be quicker but its top end would be slightly lower. and your gas milage would be about 2-3 mpg lower. (this is from my experience as I have had both Z51 cars and those without).

as far as the trim levels.....the LT2 is the most popular as you get leather seating, with the LT3 the intire interior is leather.

with the Z51 pkg....as part of that package, you also get the Performance Data Recorder, the PPF exhaust, and rear spoiler. DEPENDING on the car you are looking at, all of those could be added to a NON-Z51 car as options.

As I mentioned before, I have had 3 C7's....all three were my daily drivers, and I ordered them, so I opted for a LT2.

as for realiablity issues....the ONLY time any of the 3 cars were at the dealer was for an oil change.....and had clocked in a total of 114000 miles (my '15-46000, my
17-42000, anf my '19-26000).

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 07-03-2021 at 07:30 AM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:06 PM   #3
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Thanks for the first-hand info.

Any specific experience with the convertible version of the car? The LT2 or LT3 trims would be what I would be after for the leather. NPP (I'm guessing that's what you were referring to?) would also be a requirement as would a rear spoiler. I'm really just trying to decide if I should consider sending the Camaro on its way and looking for something different being that I can sell the Camaro and lose only the operating costs (dealer fees, taxes, reg, insurance, etc.) over the past year. There's never an opportunity to do that! lol
Old 07-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #4
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I can sell the Camaro and lose only the operating costs (dealer fees, taxes, reg, insurance, etc.) over the past year. There's never an opportunity to do that! lol
Except C7 owners are saying the same thing about their cars.

That being said you can't go wrong no matter what C7 you end up with. They are great cars.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:21 PM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Except C7 owners are saying the same thing about their cars.
I don't doubt it. But there are a number of nuisances and irritations about my/the Camaro that just aren't going to ever get fixed with the model basically going away. The Camaro is likely getting sold. I just don't know if I want to replace it with another new camaro (hoping that GM finally irons out some of the issues), and different GM completely (like the Corvette), or just finally give up all hope on GM and be done with them (unless I find an awesome classic).
Old 07-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #6
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
there are a number of nuisances and irritations about my/the Camaro that just aren't going to ever get fixed with the model basically going away.
What would those be out of curiosity?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #7
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
What would those be out of curiosity?
Here are some, in no particular order:

- The window auto-up controls are not reliable (the switches do not always pull all the way up), AND the rear window sensors don't always operate properly (preventing the rear window from closing)
- The doors rub the body, and wear through the clear coat and paint (the TSB that addresses this results in a gigantically ugly piece of PPF that wraps out onto the body panel)
- The Infotainment system "remains on" (after opening the doors) when there is an OTA update but seldom actually informs you there's an update waiting to install
- The USB connectors have no official spec's available anywhere for what would and would not be supported for connected media. My HUD, connected phone, AND media from USB all worked in an oddly unreliable manner until I tried removing the flash drive I had installed in the car for music. Problem solved, but I no longer have to access to any of my music and there are no details about what drives should work (GM only lists supported filesystems).
- Charging capacity from the USB ports is abysmal and my Android Auto-connected device barely charges on longer drives when using any connected feature like Maps or Waze.
- No ability to add media via SD Card unless you have the Nav-enabled system and are willing to pull the maps card out.
- Wireless charging area is completely useless for 90% of modern phones because of size.
- HUD display is blurry and distorted in one area of the windshield (my car only, likely)
- HUD doesn't change brightness based on headlights on/off, makes it virtually invisible in the day when wearing polarized sunglasses
- The "top down" control on the key fob (convertible only, obviously) is useless from more than 10' away - fob keeps losing communication with the car and it keeps stopping.
- ZERO locations to put a phone so that it can be wired in for charging / AA / CarPlay.
- No place for something as simple as a pair of sunglasses.

As mentioned... many are little more than nuisances. But GM has no fix for any of them.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:57 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Thanks for the first-hand info.

Any specific experience with the convertible version of the car? The LT2 or LT3 trims would be what I would be after for the leather. NPP (I'm guessing that's what you were referring to?) would also be a requirement as would a rear spoiler. I'm really just trying to decide if I should consider sending the Camaro on its way and looking for something different being that I can sell the Camaro and lose only the operating costs (dealer fees, taxes, reg, insurance, etc.) over the past year. There's never an opportunity to do that! lol
first off....to give a litte perspective....I have been a member since 2009, its when I ordered/bought my Camaro, it was my daily driver for a number of years. One evening, a few days after a friend of mine had a massive heat attack and passed, I was just looking around the net and my wife looked over my shoulder and I just happened to be on chevrolet.com and was on the Vette page....she said to me "what cha doing? looking to get a vette?" It led to a conversation about "you never know what tomorrow will bring, if you put things off, sometimes tomorrow never comes"..... two days later I walked into the dealer that I do business with and ordered my first one....8 weeks later I was in it! and have never turned back.

NOW back to your questions. I have no experience with a convertible at all, here in Texas, its not at all practicle, its way to hot here, and I rarely take the top off of my coupe, when I do its usually for a show, or the odd nice day that its not hot. YES I was refering to the NPP exhaust....and not only did I have the rear spoiler on mine, I had the front splitter and side scirts, on my '19, I had the Z06 ground effects and the wicker bills on the back, even thought it wasn't a Z06, just a standard Stingray. OH and btw....my gas milage was WAY better in the Vette than the Camaro too!! I do a lok of highway....but on average through a tank of gas, I average 25 to 27 mpg.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:22 PM   #9
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Just judging from your current and above car you have some great taste Sir Nuke.

Quick question as I've been looking at C7s lately as well, Came across a 2017 Chevrolet Z06 3LZ Z07 convertible stage 3 with a salvage title asking $62000 with 9500 miles on it. Owner claims it to be a theft recovery with "no damage and nothing stolen off the car" and 7 VIN reports to back this. Car has a bumper to bumper until 2028. Any thoughts or advice as I've never heard of such a high end car getting a salvage title as he describes it?
Old 07-04-2021, 08:28 AM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
Just judging from your current and above car you have some great taste Sir Nuke.

Quick question as I've been looking at C7s lately as well, Came across a 2017 Chevrolet Z06 3LZ Z07 convertible stage 3 with a salvage title asking $62000 with 9500 miles on it. Owner claims it to be a theft recovery with "no damage and nothing stolen off the car" and 7 VIN reports to back this. Car has a bumper to bumper until 2028. Any thoughts or advice as I've never heard of such a high end car getting a salvage title as he describes it?
I would be VERY leary.....if it had no damage or anything stolen off the car, their would be NO REASON for it to be a salvage title.....that is unless your state has some strange rules/lawes like no other. IF you know someone that in that business that you could talk to that could clear up those questions and run some carfax results and the like and get a totally clear picture/answer....but Personally I would run away.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:26 AM   #11
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post

Salvage titles are most often for cars that were totaled out by insurance companies. Do your research to understand WHY it was totaled - flood damage from a hurricane? Did it go in a lake or something?

The reason they are totaled out is because they literally are not worth repairing and/or they will never provide the correct safety again. Some insurance companies won't touch a car that has a salvage title, in other cases you'll pay a hefty premium. In the end, you're probably better off finding a non-salvage car.
Old 07-05-2021, 12:31 AM   #12
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Agree think I'll stay away.
Have had a couple salvage title cars in the past when younger but only purchased because the rebuilder had before pics with the damage and documents of repairs. When my daughter totaled hers think the rule was damage had to be over 60% of the value. That's what really made me scratch my head on this theft recovery ZO6. Anyway appreciate the input.