The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 04-29-2019, 08:16 AM   #113
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Yah it was bad but it made it more interesting.
The playoffs are unpredictable this year and it's a toss up as to who will be in the finals. Carolina is really pushing and I could them squaring off against Boston in the East final.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:29 AM   #114
ssinister_l99

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Summit White
Vegas will make money because it’s Vegas. Financially it makes sense for the location. I don’t know how big of a fan base they have though. Either way, go bruins. Bruins in 7 over Columbus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssinister_l99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:23 AM   #115
detamble13

Chara is really getting the veterans treatment this playoff season. Hammering players half his size then drawing a penalty when someone looks at him the wrong way. The Boston area has been fortunate with Championships over the last 20 years. I think it's time for Joe Thornton to win his cup.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:24 AM   #116
ssinister_l99

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Summit White
We’ve been very lucky. Joe Thornton does deserve one.

ssinister_l99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #117
Cully77
FOUR T 5

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostySS View Post
Regardless of the bad call giving up 4PP goals in as many minutes is bad....REALLY bad. That's solely on the players and the coach.

That’s irrelevant! They shouldn’t have had to! Pavelski came out yesterday and even said it shouldn’t have been a major.

Refs have been AWFUL this entire post season. They have literally changed the outcome of the playoffs.

Bruins fan here, and also have a close connection to VGK, so I was livid. Justice for me would be the Bruins beating the Sharks in the finals (eat it Thornton) if they both make it that far.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #118
detamble13

Bruins vs Canes will be an interesting series if the refs don't mess it up.
Imagine Thornton exacting his revenge on the team that traded him.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:37 AM   #119
Cully77
FOUR T 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
Bruins vs Canes will be an interesting series if the refs don't mess it up.
Imagine Thornton exacting his revenge on the team that traded him.

Revenge for what? The Bruins were struggling and needed a major shakeup.

Joe has played for two awesome franchises and by all accounts Thornton himself says he harbors no ill will and it all worked out.

If you still hold a grudge 13 years later I’d question your hockey motivation.

Despite not having a cup I bet he’s happy to be where he is. Worked out for both.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:34 AM   #120
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cully77 View Post
That’s irrelevant! They shouldn’t have had to! Pavelski came out yesterday and even said it shouldn’t have been a major.

Refs have been AWFUL this entire post season. They have literally changed the outcome of the playoffs.

Bruins fan here, and also have a close connection to VGK, so I was livid. Justice for me would be the Bruins beating the Sharks in the finals (eat it Thornton) if they both make it that far.

Actually, it doesn't really matter what Pavelski thinks. The rules indicate that for blood, it should be a 5 min major. No one can help the fact that the NHL and it's officiating is like the 3 blind mice most nights.... you watch a close icing call waved off on one end and the same thing going the other way is called icing.

And, let's assume it shouldn't have been a 5 min major... I'll agree with that...it was going to HAVE to be called a double minor however...and two of the LVK's would have been on the hook at that point...

Either way, Vegas gave up 4 goals in 5 mins....and they still had OT to win it... they choked... just like the Sharks did a few years ago against LA...

It is what it is...
Old 05-08-2019, 07:04 AM   #121
Cully77
FOUR T 5

New NHL team: Las Vegas Golden Knights

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Actually, it doesn't really matter what Pavelski thinks. The rules indicate that for blood, it should be a 5 min major. No one can help the fact that the NHL and it's officiating is like the 3 blind mice most nights.... you watch a close icing call waved off on one end and the same thing going the other way is called icing.

And, let's assume it shouldn't have been a 5 min major... I'll agree with that...it was going to HAVE to be called a double minor however...and two of the LVK's would have been on the hook at that point...

Either way, Vegas gave up 4 goals in 5 mins....and they still had OT to win it... they choked... just like the Sharks did a few years ago against LA...

It is what it is...

It doesn’t matter what Pavelski thinks, every nhl analyst, former refs including Fraser, the NHL apologizing, the referees in question being eliminated from the playoffs... it doesn’t matter. Because they made the call they made and completely changed the momentum and tenor of the game. They —influenced— the outcome of the game and series, there is no arguing that.

You’re actually not quite correct on blood + double minor. Blood isn’t mentioned anywhere in the rule book. A double minor is enforceable BY DISCRETION, if the ref feels there has been an injury caused by the minor.

It’s gotten weird because they usually only enforce this on high sticking.

Guys get cross checked all day long causing shoulder injuries, concussions, you name it, but it remains a 2 minute minor.

That could have easily been a minor penalty, or no penalty at all because everyone cross checks after a faceoff. It was just unfortunate that he lost his balance.

The problem here has been how wildly inconsistent the refs are calling the playoffs.

IF VGK ends up with a double minor there, and they score twice, it’s back to even strength with VGK still in the lead.

I don’t ever argue about sports/hockey, but this playoffs has made it unwatchable/frustrating as hell a lot of the time. Does anyone know what goaltender interference is anymore?

The “let them play” attitude has gone too far, because one team is always going to get shafted by an inconsistent call. If it’s your team that benefits you just end up thanking your luck and are happy that you’re moving on.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:36 AM   #122
detamble13

Quote:
Revenge for what? The Bruins were struggling and needed a major shakeup.

Joe has played for two awesome franchises and by all accounts Thornton himself says he harbors no ill will and it all worked out.

If you still hold a grudge 13 years later I’d question your hockey motivation.

Despite not having a cup I bet he’s happy to be where he is. Worked out for both.

I agree that it has worked out for both teams and maybe revenge isn't the best word to use at this point but beating his old team would certainly be sweet. I just remember it was a bit of a shock, not Gretzky going to LA shocking, but surprising for sure. I read back and both clubs were at the bottom of the standings when this happened. I didn't remember that.

Officiating needs to be given a good hard look across all sports. Have you watched basketball the last few years? It depends on who you are whether or not a call will be made. I guess the Kentucky Derby is also getting in on the action although I'm not sure why they'd want to make horse racing less interesting.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #123
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
You’re actually not quite correct on blood + double minor. Blood isn’t mentioned anywhere in the rule book. A double minor is enforceable BY DISCRETION, if the ref feels there has been an injury caused by the minor.

It’s gotten weird because they usually only enforce this on high sticking.

Guys get cross checked all day long causing shoulder injuries, concussions, you name it, but it remains a 2 minute minor.

That could have easily been a minor penalty, or no penalty at all because everyone cross checks after a faceoff. It was just unfortunate that he lost his balance.

The problem here has been how wildly inconsistent the refs are calling the playoffs.

IF VGK ends up with a double minor there, and they score twice, it’s back to even strength with VGK still in the lead.

I don’t ever argue about sports/hockey, but this playoffs has made it unwatchable/frustrating as hell a lot of the time. Does anyone know what goaltender interference is anymore?

The “let them play” attitude has gone too far, because one team is always going to get shafted by an inconsistent call. If it’s your team that benefits you just end up thanking your luck and are happy that you’re moving on.

I'll certainly agree on the whole officiating being bad... but EVERY team has gotten bad/lucky calls this postseason. Las Vegas even benefited from one of those very calls to win a game against the Sharks. The Sharks even lost a challenge on what should have been a high stick that wound up being a goal scored.

And a 5 min major is not an unacceptable outcome based on the injury to Pavelski. The fact of the matter is the guy didn't play for 6.5 games in the postseason after the injury.

A minor penalty is assessed to the player. If blood is drawn, a double-minor (4 minutes) is usually called. A common (yet false) belief is that blood drawn automatically warrants a double-minor. There is no such rule; this is, however, the precedent that has been in place for years.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #124
Cully77
FOUR T 5

Quote:
I'll certainly agree on the whole officiating being bad... but EVERY team has gotten bad/lucky calls this postseason. Las Vegas even benefited from one of those very calls to win a game against the Sharks. The Sharks even lost a challenge on what should have been a high stick that wound up being a goal scored.

And a 5 min major is not an unacceptable outcome based on the injury to Pavelski. The fact of the matter is the guy didn't play for 6.5 games in the postseason after the injury.

A minor penalty is assessed to the player. If blood is drawn, a double-minor (4 minutes) is usually called. A common (yet false) belief is that blood drawn automatically warrants a double-minor. There is no such rule; this is, however, the precedent that has been in place for years.

Agree with everything you said except major still is not acceptable. If a trip results in a concussion, it’s still a minor... majors are reserved for dangerous infractions WITH intent. You can’t claim a cross check in open ice was intent to cause him to hit his head on the ice.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #125
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Agree with everything you said except major still is not acceptable. If a trip results in a concussion, it’s still a minor... majors are reserved for dangerous infractions WITH intent. You can’t claim a cross check in open ice was intent to cause him to hit his head on the ice.

Actually, being awarded a Major has nothing at all to do with intent, solely on outcome. Like I said, it isn't an unacceptable outcome. The penalty was within the guidelines of the rules. Was it perhaps unfair? Sure, I'll agree with that.

The bottom line here is that no matter the penalty, the Knights gave up 4 goals in 5 minutes....and still had a shot to win in OT. They were up 3-1 in the series despite a bad call that cost the Sharks a win. At the end of the day, the Knights are the reason they lost, not this call...
Old 05-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #126
Cully77
FOUR T 5

New NHL team: Las Vegas Golden Knights

Quote:
Actually, being awarded a Major has nothing at all to do with intent, solely on outcome. Like I said, it isn't an unacceptable outcome. The penalty was within the guidelines of the rules. Was it perhaps unfair? Sure, I'll agree with that.

The bottom line here is that no matter the penalty, the Knights gave up 4 goals in 5 minutes....and still had a shot to win in OT. They were up 3-1 in the series despite a bad call that cost the Sharks a win. At the end of the day, the Knights are the reason they lost, not this call...

Actually we are both wrong. Major is not intent nor outcome. It’s ref judgement. And yes, it was unfair.

My argument, and you’ll see many who agree is that bringing up the fact that VGK allowed 4 goals is irrelevant.

I cant this is the reason and cause for why they lost the game and series. It was simply an unfair influence. And it was a “major” influence, pun intended.

The problem with your argument is that If you can speculate about how VGK “still had a chance to win” than you can speculate on anything. The game was changed, players mental states changed, lines changed, players physical endurance/fatigue changed.

Again, if I’m being honest with myself, I can’t say that VGK “should have won” just as you can’t say “VGK shouldn’t have allowed 4 goals.”

Just an unfair influence. That’s all.