Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 01-02-2018, 11:52 PM   #57
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I got mine with a email tune fro EFI Tuning. Could not be happier. Probably get the RotoFab intake from them too. I'll do a heads and cam soon and will get them to retune via email. Simple.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:36 PM   #58
red6.2

Drives: 2010 camaro
what do you mean about email tune? Do you have to do pulls in the backroad or is like the mustangs where where you you just upload a map to a tuning device and upload the tune to the car. If anyone knows about this please elaborate.
red6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:32 AM   #59
oldman

The email tunes are for your specific car and combination. EFI will email you a base tune and then you will do a few data logs and upload. I don't have an N-Gauge, from what I understand the N-Gauge is a little easier loading the tune into the car and then datalogging it. N-Gauge is also your a/f monitor among other things. I use my laptop.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:18 PM   #60
red6.2

Drives: 2010 camaro
Thanks for the explanation. Seems very straight forward.
red6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:12 PM   #61
oldman

It is kind of fun trying different tunes. And you can get things like program on skip shift and different tire size..
Old 01-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #62
GP86

Drives: 2017 2SS
I really want an ethanol kit for my car, but as I've stated numerous times before, nobody has ever proven or questioned the capability of the rest of the fuel system to handle higher concentrations of ethanol. There are several other components that contact your fuel from the time you insert the fuel pump at the station to the time it blows up inside your engine. There is a lot of risk of premature failure if the rest of the components are not validated to be compliant with ethanol.

That being said, I'd love to know if DSX Tuning (or anyone) has done some research into the rest of the Camaro's fuel system. The mention of replacing FKM with flourosilicone sounds great for your kit. What about the rest of the stock system? One may assume that many fuel system parts are shared between vehicle platforms. If some GM vehicles are Flex Fuel rated there is a chance that some of those components might make their way into a Camaro. But so far nobody has been able to corroborate whether or not putting ethanol through the entire Camaro fuel system will have long-term effects. Marketing an aftermarket kit for the Camaro does not place the liability for the rest of the system on the kit's creator. However, just because this aftermarket kit exists does not mean that it's a safe option for the car.

Here is an example of some common ethanol and methanol blends that may be specified on OEM parts. Unfortunately, I've not yet reviewed a spec from GM. My best guess is that they must design to these as well according to industry standards.
  • Fuel -- Spec
  • ASTM D471 Fuel C -- 50% Toluene / 50% ISO-Octane
  • CE22 -- 78% ASTM D471 Fuel C and 22% MS-12064
  • California Phase 2 E85 -- MS-A0114
  • E100 -- MS-13354
Old 01-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #63
DSX Tuning

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP86 View Post
I really want an ethanol kit for my car, but as I've stated numerous times before, nobody has ever proven or questioned the capability of the rest of the fuel system to handle higher concentrations of ethanol. There are several other components that contact your fuel from the time you insert the fuel pump at the station to the time it blows up inside your engine. There is a lot of risk of premature failure if the rest of the components are not validated to be compliant with ethanol.

That being said, I'd love to know if DSX Tuning (or anyone) has done some research into the rest of the Camaro's fuel system. The mention of replacing FKM with flourosilicone sounds great for your kit. What about the rest of the stock system? One may assume that many fuel system parts are shared between vehicle platforms. If some GM vehicles are Flex Fuel rated there is a chance that some of those components might make their way into a Camaro. But so far nobody has been able to corroborate whether or not putting ethanol through the entire Camaro fuel system will have long-term effects. Marketing an aftermarket kit for the Camaro does not place the liability for the rest of the system on the kit's creator. However, just because this aftermarket kit exists does not mean that it's a safe option for the car.

Here is an example of some common ethanol and methanol blends that may be specified on OEM parts. Unfortunately, I've not yet reviewed a spec from GM. My best guess is that they must design to these as well according to industry standards.
  • Fuel -- Spec
  • ASTM D471 Fuel C -- 50% Toluene / 50% ISO-Octane
  • CE22 -- 78% ASTM D471 Fuel C and 22% MS-12064
  • California Phase 2 E85 -- MS-A0114
  • E100 -- MS-13354
If you trust me, you'll believe the following... I spoke with the director of the Camaro Z28 program from GM at PRI a little over a year ago, and I asked him why GM doesn't do flex fuel on factory vehicles. I specifically said "Is it because the components aren't compatible?"

He replied that there is no issue with the fuel system components and their compatibility to ethanol. They don't do it because of dynamic fuel system range required for high horsepower applications.

You'll find tons of people who will tell you that FKM (more commonly known by one company's tradename of Viton) is suitable for ethanol. In a static seal, it's probably fine, and fuel line connections are ideally static sealing systems anyway. However, I prefer something better than "fine" which is why I use fluorosilicone. It carries an excellent rating for ethanol from Parker (who is essentially the authority on o-rings) and is worth the extra thirty cents per unit that they cost IMO.
DSX Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:05 AM   #64
oldman

ain't blown up yet...
Old 01-15-2018, 02:32 AM   #65
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
they all use the same manufacturer components just some include a cross over tube to make it easier to take off. They all use a GM sensor and same adapter.
I prefer the EFI tuning kit.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #66
GP86

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX Tuning View Post
If you trust me, you'll believe the following... I spoke with the director of the Camaro Z28 program from GM at PRI a little over a year ago, and I asked him why GM doesn't do flex fuel on factory vehicles. I specifically said "Is it because the components aren't compatible?"

He replied that there is no issue with the fuel system components and their compatibility to ethanol. They don't do it because of dynamic fuel system range required for high horsepower applications.

You'll find tons of people who will tell you that FKM (more commonly known by one company's tradename of Viton) is suitable for ethanol. In a static seal, it's probably fine, and fuel line connections are ideally static sealing systems anyway. However, I prefer something better than "fine" which is why I use fluorosilicone. It carries an excellent rating for ethanol from Parker (who is essentially the authority on o-rings) and is worth the extra thirty cents per unit that they cost IMO.
This is a good start. Hopefully I can convince myself to get a kit this year. There's a Valero with E85 right between my house and work. It is too tempting to hold off for much longer. I hope to find someone at GM directly who can give me some more insight.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:55 AM   #67
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
David Steck all the way. DSX tuning.
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #68
DSX Tuning

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18ss376 View Post
Just ordered a DSX flex fuel kit.
Thanks Greg! It’ll be on the way today.