Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-29-2017, 03:31 PM   #29
TRich2SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016SSimpson View Post
Guess its over mine too, care to explain for us dummies?
Not saying you are a dummy but the point of my original comment was to point out the blatant hypocrisy of your original post. You were claiming not to have a dog in this fight but then you wrote a entire essay that was clearly biased towards the product that you purchased, owned and used lol. Then you knocked the credibility of others for doing the same thing you did. And I quote "You are gonna hear the fan boys from each brand pipe in and recommend the kit they bought because it validates their decision". Your entire essay was supporting a product that you purchased. By your own words and logic you are fan boy validating a purchase you made. Just to be clear I am not agreeing or disagreeing with your review of the product, I am just pointing out that contradictory comments made throughout your post. DSX got it which is why he replied how he did.
TRich2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #30
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
I interpreted not "having a dog in the fight" as he is not a vendor pushing his own product. Certainly he's going to promote what works for him. I'm going to promote the Borla Atak exhaust because I absolutely love it, but I couldn't care less if someone buys it because I don't have a financial interest in it.
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:15 PM   #31
2016SSimpson

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRich2SS View Post
Not saying you are a dummy but the point of my original comment was to point out the blatant hypocrisy of your original post. You were claiming not to have a dog in this fight but then you wrote a entire essay that was clearly biased towards the product that you purchased, owned and used lol. Then you knocked the credibility of others for doing the same thing you did. And I quote "You are gonna hear the fan boys from each brand pipe in and recommend the kit they bought because it validates their decision". Your entire essay was supporting a product that you purchased. By your own words and logic you are fan boy validating a purchase you made. Just to be clear I am not agreeing or disagreeing with your review of the product, I am just pointing out that contradictory comments made throughout your post. DSX got it which is why he replied how he did.
by no dog in this fight, I am not dsx or smg or rpm ...
Thought my 1st paragraph set the expectation that I likely know more on these than most consumers, the 2nd explained my experience with all of the leading brands, the remainder went to explain the logic I used in my decision process, that as you can see, is a little more in-depth than saying just what brand I bought. My goal was to inform, educate and add something positive to this thread, not ridicule or disparage. Sorry you choose to do the later.

I wouldn't call myself a fan boy of any brand, rather an educated consumer that knows the value of the hard earn dollar.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:15 PM   #32
2016SSimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by parbreak View Post
I interpreted not "having a dog in the fight" as he is not a vendor pushing his own product. Certainly he's going to promote what works for him. I'm going to promote the Borla Atak exhaust because I absolutely love it, but I couldn't care less if someone buys it because I don't have a financial interest in it.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:32 PM   #33
DSX Tuning

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
I'd like to know what makes the coupler a "precision" fitting.

Careful answering this one, because there are actually two serious flaws in that Golden Bloom fitting.
DSX Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #34
2016SSimpson

Quote:
You'll also hear from vendors that pay to be here that their kit is best, be wary of any that disparage their competition. Lastly, read up on the customer service stories of each. I've seen numerous on this site and many on the fb pages too. I personally buy from vendors that do right by their customers, even more so after the sale has been completed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX Tuning View Post
I'd like to know what makes the coupler a "precision" fitting.

Careful answering this one, because there are actually two serious flaws in that Golden Bloom fitting.

walked right into that one...

but since you want to challenge my use of words, here is the term "precision" defined: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/precision

If you want to challenge a billet aluminum part made on a cnc with exacting tolerances, "not precision" by all means... but as history repeats itself, so does your attack on anyone that has a differing opinion than you or a company that makes a product that competes with yours...

You probably lose more customers by your demeanor online than the price of your kit compared to others
Old 11-29-2017, 05:37 PM   #35
DSX Tuning

Quote:

but since you want to challenge my use of words, here is the term "precision" defined: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/precision

If you want to challenge a billet aluminum part made on a cnc with exacting tolerances, "not precision" by all means... but as history repeats itself, so does your attack on anyone that has a differing opinion than you or a company that makes a product that competes with yours...

You probably lose more customers by your demeanor online than the price of your kit compared to others
I'm actually looking for you to define what really makes it a "precision" piece and why that is important. To most reading, it comes off as just an attempted buzz word. Do you know what the tolerances are on that piece? Do you know how often the tooling is changed out to compensate for wear? Do you have the design dimensions for everything? FYI, I do CAD and CAM, and I've done a good chunk of work on CNC equipment personally.

However, here's the concern with the Golden Bloom fitting. For reasons I can't fathom, seeing as how the Parker handbook is readily available to anybody with an internet connection, the gland for the o-ring is far too narrow in those fittings. They use 2.1mm width (0.083") which is too narrow for a 3/8" x 0.070" o-ring. It prevents it from being able to expand correctly and also doesn't allow it to easily seat, and ultimately over time, it can leak after cyclic loading. Per Parker, it should be 0.093" to 0.098" in width. Unfortunately, they use FKM o-rings which actually will swell under exposure to ethanol. EPDM is the best choice, but o-rings that cost over $1 a piece aren't really something people want to pay for, which is why I use fluorosilicone in my fittings.

The second concern is the clearance cut in the backing nut goes right through a side of the hex. This eliminates the option for a full length set of parallel sides for a wrench to grab onto, which is a serious bummer since the height is also very low. The end result is that the nut can deform before it properly torques out, especially since they use very soft metal. It is definitely not billet 6061.

After doing my due diligence, there was no way I was going to use those which is why I manufacture all of my own pieces as purpose-made units. I only use 6061 for everything which is then anodized to offer corrosion resistance against ethanol. I control the models, dimensions, and tolerances of everything as opposed to just getting something off the shelf and hoping it was done right. The glands for each dual o-ring seal are done exactly according to Parker specifications and use fluorosilicone o-rings which are rated as excellent for anything that could pass through the fitting (no swell). For the fittings that do have a backing nut, I have two full length parallel surfaces with significant depth to allow good bite with a wrench, and since they are genuine 6061, the backing nut doesn't deform, even if you really crank on it. However, I don't supply anything where somebody needs to worry about a wrench because ultimately, I'd rather eliminate the potential for somebody to not properly tighten a fitting. It's a lot easier to listen for the click and do a push-pull test to make sure it is fully seated. This is why I prefer the stainless retaining clip inside the housing (although using them directly on a sensor presents a huge pain in the event you want to remove it because there isn't room for a disconnect tool).

The whole tone of your posts in this thread is funny. At first, you talk about having no dog in this fight and talk about how people will ultimately defend whatever they buy (and that vendors pay to be heard), and in the next breath you go on to validate your own purchase and try to demean other things that are offered, just as TRich2SS pointed out. You're right, I do pay to advertise on this forum just as EFI Tuning does. I operate my business according to the rules. This way, I can talk about my products without having to go through a third party and can explain what makes the things I do unique and appropriate for an application.

As far as replacing the entire line, I do it just because I don't like the way the factory line fits with the sensor extending the connection point. I use a PTFE line that's crimped and pressure tested as a replacement along with my own fittings, but if people want to reuse the stock line, they can use the much cheaper $250 option for a Camaro SS on my site.

I'm curious where your examples of my attitude towards customers online come from. I actually get a lot of people telling me that they appreciate my availability and tech support as well as the knowledge I share. Have you had an opportunity to listen to the Speed and Power podcast I was a guest on? I've walked lots of people through installations over the phone to make sure everything is done correctly. I do free HP Tuners edits for anybody who buys my stuff to help them get their tune set up... No charging for credits or the time. I've somehow ended up tuning a few people's vehicles for free via e-mail and still can't figure out how it progressed to that point.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:59 PM   #36
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Quote:

Are you aware DSX is an actual engineer, with an engineering degree, and who has worked in different ways, shapes, forms, and iterations for many years in the engineering field?

You also mention his online demeanor. Dave is not like that in real life at all. I drove to St. Louis when he was living there so he could tune my car. We were not what I would have called "friends" at that point as our interactions prior were based solely on me wanting him to tune my car. We battled a problematic fuel rail/intake manifold issue for a bit and thought we fixed it. On the way home, it let go and I lost a bunch of gasoline. I had no one to call for help because I didn't live there. I was able to bandaid it (again) to get home but I had lost a lot of gas and didn't think I could make it to a gas station. I called Dave as he was the only person I knew in the area. He brought me a can of gas in his twin turbo Z06. He wouldn't let me compensate him for his time/fuel to do it or for the fuel he gave me.

When he moved to Austin, I took my car to him (KCMO to Austin) for tuning because of his knowledge and actual personality.

Last edited by blake-b; 11-29-2017 at 06:17 PM.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:11 PM   #37
2016SSimpson

I had to google "golden bloom" because i'd never heard that term before, but by your use, you must assume that is the brand of the connector that came in my smg kit, I assure you, it is not, it is made by a very, very reputable name in fuel fittings and systems...their brand, its stamped directly on it. They make a good deal of AN fittings for private label too and per their site, it is indeed a precision piece, double viton orings, designed specifically for the use in GM style quick disconnect and 100% ethanol compatible. They are even made here in NA not off shore which the golden bloom name implies.
Addressing your concern of the tightening of the caps, no significant torque is needed as its simply a retainer, not a torqued fitting. they are very sturdy and I imagine you'd be able to crank on it pretty good before it deformed. So being your assumption is incorrect on the fitting, its likely you are also incorrect on the specs, I'd take the word of the manufacturer over yours on that.

as to your attitude, if you are not aware of it, there's nothing I can do to persuade you otherwise, I'm far from the 1st to call you on it, feel free to look around. This thread isn't about "you" its about a fellow enthusiast asking opinions on e85 kits. Your contributions to the flex fuel world are notable, but that doesn't give a free pass to be a condescending jerk

This thread was started by a fellow enthusiast asking for advice of other enthusiasts.
I gave mine to him and you felt it necessary to take it to a personal level and engage me.

My mother told me one thing that stuck when the internet 1st came about... the internet is forever, don't ever post something publically you may have to apologize for later, because once its written, it is forever.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #38
2016SSimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
Are you aware DSX is an actual engineer, with an engineering degree, and who has worked in different ways, shapes, forms, and iterations for many years in the engineering field?
I don't doubt his experience nor education, but he is speaking of things he doesn't make and speaking of it as if he knows it intimately. unfortunately he is incorrect, despite his vast knowledge in this general field
Old 11-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #39
DSX Tuning

Quote:
I had to google "golden bloom" because i'd never heard that term before, but by your use, you must assume that is the brand of the connector that came in my smg kit, I assure you, it is not, it is made by a very, very reputable name in fuel fittings and systems...their brand, its stamped directly on it. They make a good deal of AN fittings for private label too and per their site, it is indeed a precision piece, double viton orings, designed specifically for the use in GM style quick disconnect and 100% ethanol compatible. They are even made here in NA not off shore which the golden bloom name implies.
Addressing your concern of the tightening of the caps, no significant torque is needed as its simply a retainer, not a torqued fitting. they are very sturdy and I imagine you'd be able to crank on it pretty good before it deformed. So being your assumption is incorrect on the fitting, its likely you are also incorrect on the specs, I'd take the word of the manufacturer over yours on that.

as to your attitude, if you are not aware of it, there's nothing I can do to persuade you otherwise, I'm far from the 1st to call you on it, feel free to look around. This thread isn't about "you" its about a fellow enthusiast asking opinions on e85 kits. Your contributions to the flex fuel world are notable, but that doesn't give a free pass to be a condescending jerk

This thread was started by a fellow enthusiast asking for advice of other enthusiasts.
I gave mine to him and you felt it necessary to take it to a personal level and engage me.

My mother told me one thing that stuck when the internet 1st came about... the internet is forever, don't ever post something publically you may have to apologize for later, because once its written, it is forever.

I have a bag of their o-rings. I know all about that fitting. It's not a stamping though (it's a laser engraving).

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...8F38CL&eq=&Tp=

The fitting Racetronix sells is made by Golden Bloom. I've done the torque testing, and they actually do deform fairly easy. You do need to torque it tight so it can't back out in service and potentially come apart. I assure you... I have done my homework and a few other's on that component.

I'm perfectly fine with anything I've said or written. I seriously question your presence on this forum though, as it seems your agenda has been to just promote one company. It looks very suspicious.

I'll give you $500 right now if you can produce a print with tolerances and material specifications of that fitting.

Edit: time's up.

Last edited by DSX Tuning; 11-29-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #40
PackersFan26

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Well this thread got interesting now didn't it.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:24 PM   #41
2016SSimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX Tuning View Post
I'm perfectly fine with anything I've said or written. I seriously question your presence on this forum though, as it seems your agenda has been to just promote one company. It looks very suspicious.

I'll give you $500 right now if you can produce a print with tolerances and material specifications of that fitting.

Edit: time's up.
Unfortunately, I don't work on your timelines nor have to dig up spec on something, I don't give 2 shits what you think.

As for promoting someones product, sure I'll promote anything that I believe is a good deal, especially when someone like you gets butthurt about it.
When my borla exhaust gets installed I'll promote them too, and my k&n intake... yeah not a single thing I can say is better about buying one of the other ones popular on here over mine.

deflect all you want, you are arguing on the internet with someone you don't even know, thousands of miles away as if its going to win some internet trophy for you. and all the while losing your potential customers respect. again this thread is not all about you. I'm out as this one has derailed far enough. sorry OP for getting your thread all off track
Old 11-29-2017, 07:39 PM   #42
Swagger
DaWolfOfAllStreets

Drives: 17 C Coupe, 17 1LE, 16 Scion iA
Wow that digressed... Bottom line here is that DSX threw out facts, specs and details. Whether one uses their product or not, you have to respect the info and intent in sharing it.
Swagger is offline   Reply With Quote