#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-04-2019, 07:35 PM   #1
jcocke23

Drives: '17 1LE
HELP! Crazy Stabilitrak PTM TC ABS at the track

Hey guys,
I need some help here. I just finished a track day today, but not without a lot of drama. Hard left-handers would cause the stabilitrak and all associated systems to go crazy. While in a hard left-hander only, the gauges would drop as if losing power, the PTM would reset, the TC and stabilitrak would reset back to super conservative, and I would get a ton of errors: ABS, power steering, eLSD.

I took it to the guys onsite at VIR in Quantum Motorsports, and we put it on the lift to check to see if there was a lose wire, connector, something underneath it. We couldn't find a smoking gun.

It acts like something in the body control circuits is grounding out in hard left handers. All fuses were checked and were fine. All the codes that were thrown were related to "loss of communication" with the body control module. Battery was secure, ground in the front fuse box was re-tightened...nothing seemed to help.

Does anyone have any insight or similar issue? Of course I thought it might be something related to a mod I did, so I checked all around the headers for anything that might be hitting them. The car is a FB with an e85 kit...the e85 sensor is the only thing electrical I have done to the car, but all those wires were re-checked and secured...but doesn't explain the left hand only issue.

So now I am wondering where to start diagnosis. All the suspension sensors, the shocks, the eLSD, the power steering are on the list. Its also very hard to replicate on the street, as it didn't seem to happen until it was over .8g.

I am afraid to take it to my local dealership b/c I am sure they will give me the deer in the headlight look. Does anyone between DC to Charlotte NC have someone that is magical in understanding the electronics associcated with this car?

Car:
'17 1LE with 5200 miles
Stock Goodyears
Stock suspension
Track Day brake pads
LT headers
Stock NPP
Ported intake and ported throttle body
Pray performance e85 kit
Rotofab intake

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
jcocke23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Have you checked all the wires around the headers. I know there has been some issues after installing headers that some wire harness could touch the header and cause all kinds of issues. Hope you find out what it is.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
jcocke23

Yea, as best I could at the track...once I get it on our lift, the headers will definitely be a point of emphasis.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:37 PM   #4
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
So I was just talking to my buddy Danny on Sunday about a VERY similar issue he had with his car. Long story short in his case the headers were the culprit, basically they are bigger than the factory headers and are closer to the starter/alternator, if they are too close the alternator can arc to the headers when under load and that is causing the system to short (he described the exact same thing with the gauges going black, etc...)

I would start there and see what you find.

Also to add: I had an issue with my power steering "loosing communication" when I was down there a couple weeks ago (did Josh and the guys at Quantum mention that to you by chance?). We couldn't diagnose it but it turned out to be a loose ground bolt that the power steering was connected to. Though I suspect this was cause by one of the techs that out my new engine in back in April not taking their time.... so I doubt that's what is going on for you but it's another possibility.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #5
nasbagoat

Drives: 17 SW 1LE
Pull the underhood fuse box cover and make sure all relays and fuses are fully depressed into place. I had some funny gremlins once and when i went to start checking things i found every relay in the box touching underside of the cover. Clicked them back into place and no more problems, not sure if my box was installed that way from factory or if tracking it caused things to move around.
nasbagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
jcocke23

That is very interesting...in fact, when I was under there yesterday, I said, “Damn, that starter is really close to the headers”...kinda makes sense, b/c in a hard left the driver side header will move closer to the starter. I will definitely check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
So I was just talking to my buddy Danny on Sunday about a VERY similar issue he had with his car. Long story short in his case the headers were the culprit, basically they are bigger than the factory headers and are closer to the starter/alternator, if they are too close the alternator can arc to the headers when under load and that is causing the system to short (he described the exact same thing with the gauges going black, etc...)

I would start there and see what you find.

Also to add: I had an issue with my power steering "loosing communication" when I was down there a couple weeks ago (did Josh and the guys at Quantum mention that to you by chance?). We couldn't diagnose it but it turned out to be a loose ground bolt that the power steering was connected to. Though I suspect this was cause by one of the techs that out my new engine in back in April not taking their time.... so I doubt that's what is going on for you but it's another possibility.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:11 AM   #7
jcocke23

I’ll check that too, it is a Chevrolet after all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasbagoat View Post
Pull the underhood fuse box cover and make sure all relays and fuses are fully depressed into place. I had some funny gremlins once and when i went to start checking things i found every relay in the box touching underside of the cover. Clicked them back into place and no more problems, not sure if my box was installed that way from factory or if tracking it caused things to move around.