Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Excitement vs Progress

Are performance cars becoming too good? The first reviews and initial PR for the ZL1 talked about the car allowing a novice to look like a hero. Porsche's latest Boxster was praised as an all around better car, and worse for it. People who complained of the Shelby's lack of grip now find the new GT500 boring and editors have slammed the new Aventador as the best Lamborghini ever while asking if it's still a Lamborghini. Has technology made better performing cars that simply fail to excite the Neanderthal inside all of us? I got rid of my last BMW because, aside from typical annoyances, the car was simple unexciting to drive during the daily commute. I bought a Boss based on what it was capable of but love it more for exploring its limits. I considered both a ZL1 and a GT500 but cooled on one, and haven't fallen for the other as I've learned more about them. Personally I wonder if it isn't time for self driving cars for the weekdays and hobby cars for the weekend that stop trying to do it all and instead excel at given me a driving hard on. Camrys and Ariel Aroms are starting to look more sensible that the 4 door Porsche and SUV Bentleys that automakers are starting to build in order to please the largest number of buyers.

Oh, and hey kids, "get off my lawn!"

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Or to put it another way, no one ever became a legend by being pretty damn good at everything. No, true legends are exceptional, truly exceptional at one thing. Greatness is not achieved through compromise.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
Mjolnir
"Crusher"

Drives: Kawasaki Ninja 250r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Are performance cars becoming too good? The first reviews and initial PR for the ZL1 talked about the car allowing a novice to look like a hero. Porsche's latest Boxster was praised as an all around better car, and worse for it. People who complained of the Shelby's lack of grip now find the new GT500 boring and editors have slammed the new Aventador as the best Lamborghini ever while asking if it's still a Lamborghini. Has technology made better performing cars that simply fail to excite the Neanderthal inside all of us? I got rid of my last BMW because, aside from typical annoyances, the car was simple unexciting to drive during the daily commute. I bought a Boss based on what it was capable of but love it more for exploring its limits. I considered both a ZL1 and a GT500 but cooled on one, and haven't fallen for the other as I've learned more about them. Personally I wonder if it isn't time for self driving cars for the weekdays and hobby cars for the weekend that stop trying to do it all and instead excel at given me a driving hard on. Camrys and Ariel Aroms are starting to look more sensible that the 4 door Porsche and SUV Bentleys that automakers are starting to build in order to please the largest number of buyers.

Very interesting point. It's as if skill is being replaced by technology these days.
Mjolnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
MichaelH
SOCAL HT5

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 M6
this really is true all the stuff the critics bashed on about cars in the past have been fixed and now the cars are being bashed on b/c they did fix the problems in the past haha its a never ending cycle it seems

Old vehicles
2010 CGM Camaro (sold)
Other Vehicles:
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R-115 RWHP in mid summer
2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS- For Sale; Lots of extras
MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Someone will always find something to bitch about. Half the camp will praise something, the other will despise it to the core. Just like the GT-R. Car has an incredible combination of mechanical and technical prowess that allow it to turn the times it does, both in the 1/4 mile and around a road course, and yet, half the people that talk about that car focus how they believe "it drives it'self and it's an automatic". You can't make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time. It's great news that we have cars that suit everyone's tastes and budgets, for the most part, out there to be had.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #6
brandonrr
LFX is not the average V6

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0
are you seriously complaining about cars becoming too powerful now?

10 years ago, a $24K car with a 3.6L V6 naturally asperated engine making 323HP stock was completely unheard of, even with the higher costs of cars these days. shoot, many V8s 10 years ago didn't even make that power.

being the speed demon that i am, i'm all for the increasing power output of all these new engines as time progresses. now there's even 4-bangers making over 200hp, V6s making 300HP+ and V8s making 400HP+. i can't wait to see what power engines will be making 10 or even 20 years from now. (i'm a young fellow, so hopefully, i'll be able to witness technology advance for quite some time, assuming we all don't die in december lol)

if you are talking about all the traction control, torque management, automatic parking, and other "auto-pilot" features coming out on all these new cars, than i agree with you. those features are best saved for family and luxury vehicles, not camaros and other "fast cars".
brandonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonrr View Post

10 years ago, a $24K car with a 3.6L V6 naturally asperated engine making 323HP stock was completely unheard of, even with the higher costs of cars these days. shoot, many V8s 10 years ago didn't even make that power.

being the speed demon that i am, i'm all for the increasing power output of all these new engines as time progresses. now there's even 4-bangers making over 200hp, V6s making 300HP+ and V8s making 400HP+. i can't wait to see what power engines will be making 10 or even 20 years from now. (i'm a young fellow, so hopefully, i'll be able to witness technology advance for quite some time, assuming we all don't die in december lol)

if you are talking about all the traction control, torque management, automatic parking, and other "auto-pilot" features coming out on all these new cars, than i agree with you. those features are best saved for family and luxury vehicles, not camaros and other "fast cars".
Unfortunately with the new CAFE regulations phasing in we may be at the peak or very close to the peak in the Horsepower wars. Going forward more emphasis is going to be for More efficient cars. Some engines still have not reached their total potential but the days of big V8s with high HP is numbered. My advice is if you want on buy it sooner than later.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
brandonrr
LFX is not the average V6

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Unfortunately with the new CAFE regulations phasing in we may be at the peak or very close to the peak in the Horsepower wars. Going forward more emphasis is going to be for More efficient cars. Some engines still have not reached their total potential but the days of big V8s with high HP is numbered. My advice is if you want on buy it sooner than later.
i already have

i am the proud owner of a very powerful and advanced (direct injection is still new technology) V6 323HP engine in a beautiful camaro. sure, it's not as powerful as the all-mighty SS, but 323HP is still a lot of power and more than a lot of the small block V8s from 10 years ago. the 2002 mustang GT only made 240HP. the 2002 camaro SS was ahead of the curve at 310HP. the 2002 V6 camaro only made 200HP and the 2002 mustang only made 190HP.
brandonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonrr View Post
You kinda missed the point he was trying to make, he wasn't complaining about that at all.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
MichaelH
SOCAL HT5

i thnk what he means is that they make the cars now a days so dumby proof that its now no fun anymore. Like how they were in the 60's and 70's with alot of power and no nannies just you and the machine so it made it much more fun and thrilling

Old vehicles
2010 CGM Camaro (sold)
Other Vehicles:
Old 06-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
I agree. I hate how technology is used as a crutch for less than perfect skill. I appreciate the skill of a motogp rider much more knowing that the corner he just took was all skill and not his traction control kicking in.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
I do want to add that I have no problem with street cars utilizatiob of tech because we all know 99% of people on the road really aren't good drivers. I'm only agianst it at the professional level.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
MichaelH
SOCAL HT5

^^^ so true and are you watching the motogp race tom. morning at like 5am i think it starts for us in cali haha

Old vehicles
2010 CGM Camaro (sold)
Other Vehicles:
Old 06-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post

I don't think camaros have the lack of excitement problem you describe. Maybe fellow camaros owners can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

I could see how you would be bored with a BMW. They are nice and cute and perform well, but I prefer my SS all day long.
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote