Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-27-2019, 01:23 PM   #1
Satin Steel ZL1

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 (M6)
3rd Gear Lockout?

Hello all, I am a new ZL1 owner and coming from only mustangs prior, (And a bout with a salvage 2010 SS) its been quite the change. I've had a lot of fun so far, however I have ran into a few issues. When I drive I typically bang gears pretty hard and have never had an issue except on the high rpm MT82 lockout, and recently on my new ZL1. When I am shifting near redline, (Has happened while using NLS and a few times without NLS), when I try and put it in third gear its almost like I am hitting an obstacle in the transmission. I get a cringey high rev when I miss the gear (using NLS) and when the RPM's drop and my foot gets off the gas it goes into gear just fine. It hasn't happened all the time, maybe 4-6 times so far out of an uncertain amount of runs. I even had a one time extremely weird happening where I was driving hard and revved out 1st gear and then shifted into 2nd, car still accelerated slightly and then it popped out of 2nd into neutral and the revs shot up as my foot was still planted into the gas. I obviously took my foot off as soon as the revs shot up and put it back into 2nd gear without any issues. That has only happened once. Note: Thankfully, I haven't money shifted, nor have I ever, but perhaps thats what next. My question is, are my problems all driver related? Did I forget to drive stick? Am I just getting used to this car? Or, is there some sort of issue with my transmission. Any help would by greatly appreciated. I am in love with everything else about this car, I love the looks, I love driving it, I love staring at in my garage. I just want to be able to beat on it a bit. Thanks for any help.
Attached Images

Satin Steel ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Sounds like , atleast for the 3rd gear issue that if you are shifting really fast you could be hitting between 1st and 3rd gates. I used to do that in my 2010 SS and I installed a MGW shifter and never happened again. In my 2012 ZL1 I use my palm of my hand and that seemed to help. But now with the A10 I don't have to worry about missing a gear. As far as the 2nd gear pop out, maybe someone else has had that issue.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:51 PM   #3
Satin Steel ZL1

Thanks man. Thats probably the issue as its only happened a few times. Typically if I think about avoiding it prior to shifting I do. Looks like I'll have to get that MGW. Hopefully these missed shifts haven't damaged my car. I am a bit paranoid when it comes to that front. I'll search around for any posts about the 2nd gear issue. Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:41 PM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I haven’t had that problem with my 2017 and of course I don’t bang thru the gears at redline either. MGW doesn’t make a shifter for our 6gens or Barton but from all the info I have read about the Hurst shifter it is an excellent choice for a aftermarket shifter. Replacing the shifter is a bitch too but can be done! Hope you don’t have transmission issues but you have a warranty so it will be taken care of!! Good luck and I like that Satin Steel gray color!!
Old 08-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
Satin Steel ZL1

Thanks. Too bad they don't make shifters for the 6th gen. I'll look around and see if its worth it. Perhaps I am hitting the 1st gear gate when shifting into 3rd? I'll try and adjust my shifting a bit. I love that color as well. Thanks again.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:09 PM   #6
SouthFloridaGTO

Drives: 2005 GTO, 2019 Camaro ZL1
I've done what you're talking about when shifting from 2nd to 3rd near redline. As some above said, I believe it was just not going over far enough and hitting in between 1st and 3rd.
SouthFloridaGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:15 PM   #7
Satin Steel ZL1

I'm thinking thats what it must be. Today I was driving around and tried to avoid it. Granted, I wasn't shifting at redline all the time. Still, had no issues. Thought about putting it farther over. I'll be going to the track soon and hopefully it won't happen there haha. Will continue to log any other issues. Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 09-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #8
vy427

Drives: '21 ZL1 A10 Convertible
Proper hand placement when gripping the shift knob can significantly improve shift accuracy and help avoid hitting the gate (especially helpful during the center-forward throw into third gear). Gripping with the palm/fingers on top of the shift knob can improve shifting accuracy, whereas gripping with them on the side of the knob can reduce accuracy.

Last edited by vy427; 09-01-2019 at 01:40 PM.
vy427 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual transmission help, zl1