Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-07-2024, 09:24 PM   #1
Celticclark

Drives: 2010 CamaroSS 1954Belair 28 Model A
coil pack mismatches

I recently purchased a 2010 L99 LS. This is my 1st LS. I was changing out the spark plugs when I noticed that the coil packs on each bank were different. I don't believe either one is correct. The correct one, if I am correct is D510C. It runs fine, has a service stabilitrack warning with an EVAP code, but this post is about the coil packs. It does have a slight miss at idle. I took it to a tuner who hooked it up to a laptop. He showed me a graph, separated by right side/left side. the right side graph line was smooth, but the right side was erratic. He suggested I have my injectors cleaned and that many problems can be solved right there. I had that done, but the idle didn't improve. I was changing plugs tonight and noticed the different coils. Would this cause the issue? I'll be looking for some correct replacements. Thanks for any info. I'll include pics of the coils.
Attached Images

Celticclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 08:21 AM   #2
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
A coil that is failing can certainly cause a misfire, but the mismatch itself is necessarily a problem. The round one in the first picture is a cheap version you find some people use as a replacement when they have a failure. Of course, if one failed, then others might on the way out. I've not had a coil fail on the Camaros, but I had a few on my 02 Silverado and one was a cheap round one a shop used before I started doing all my own work.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 09:13 AM   #3
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
I would buy a set of 8 matching coils from a brand like Summit racing just so that you have the correct matching coils. I think the set summit offers comes in black or red and is only around $200 for a set of 8.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 09:19 AM   #4
AlisoBob

Drives: Camaro 2SS Gen 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
I would buy a set of 8 matching coils from a brand like Summit racing
Chinese junk.

You can get Bosch or NGK's for a few pennies more.
AlisoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 10:05 AM   #5
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
Chinese junk.

I believe I read that Summit uses Accel for there coil packs, but I could be mistaken. If we wanna talk about what's best, find a set of used or new factory ACDelcos. I was just offering a cheap solution.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:39 AM   #6
Celticclark

CamaroCracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
A coil that is failing can certainly cause a misfire, but the mismatch itself is necessarily a problem. The round one in the first picture is a cheap version you find some people use as a replacement when they have a failure. Of course, if one failed, then others might on the way out. I've not had a coil fail on the Camaros, but I had a few on my 02 Silverado and one was a cheap round one a shop used before I started doing all my own work.

So you are saying any LS coil pack is interchangeable? 4.3, 4.8, 5.3, 6.2 Also to be clear it isn't a misfire, like a dead cylinder, but a slight miss. From what I have researched they either work or they don't. Is that correct? Thanks for your help!
Old 02-08-2024, 10:42 AM   #7
Celticclark

AlisoBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
Chinese junk.

So Bosch or NGK are comparable to the factory AC Delco? I definitely do not want junk.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:45 AM   #8
Celticclark

The_bald_eagle_machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
I would buy a set of 8 matching coils from a brand like Summit racing just so that you have the correct matching coils. I think the set summit offers comes in black or red and is only around $200 for a set of 8.
I searched on here and found bad reviews on Accel packs. have you used them?
Old 02-08-2024, 11:32 AM   #9
AlisoBob

Buy what you can afford..... I went with the Denso's. Runs perfect
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2024, 11:35 AM   #10
AlisoBob

The AC Delcos are marked "Delphi".

Delphi's are half the cost
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2024, 11:48 AM   #11
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticclark View Post
I searched on here and found bad reviews on Accel packs. have you used them?
I have not. I am still using my factory coils, mine have 45k miles on them and I don't have any issues. Honestly the factory coils are the best, my best recommendation is to find a used coil pack set on ebay or something. I'm just offering an option by mentioning the Summit brand coils, they have alot of great reviews and in my experience Summit is great to deal with as far as customer service. I'm sure someone will chime in about how Summit is junk and I wouldn't use them for anything but, that's not helpful to your question. I don't care what aftermarket you use, most of them are not as good as the factory options. Factory meaning the original coils from 2010 - 2015. Any kind of aftermarket is probably made with inferior parts. I don't pretend to be an expert. I just wouldn't recommend running 2 different types of coils on each bank.

Last edited by The_bald_eagle_machine; 02-08-2024 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2024, 12:17 PM   #12
Celticclark

Agreed and thanks!
Old 02-08-2024, 12:18 PM   #13
Celticclark

Sweet! Thank you!
Old 02-08-2024, 01:59 PM   #14
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticclark View Post
So you are saying any LS coil pack is interchangeable? 4.3, 4.8, 5.3, 6.2 Also to be clear it isn't a misfire, like a dead cylinder, but a slight miss. From what I have researched they either work or they don't. Is that correct? Thanks for your help!
Yes, I have interchanged between Gen3 and Gen4 LS. The coils all work but some are better than others. Not sure on the either work or they don't. I was getting intermittent misfire codes on my truck so I swapped coil and wire between cylinders to see if it followed the coil and wire. It did and it ended up being the coil. Yours is a bit more difficult since you are not getting a code, which also means it could be an injector issue.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.

Last edited by CamaroCracka; 02-08-2024 at 07:31 PM.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coil packs help