The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-21-2024, 04:56 PM   #169
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
Then good news for you is the elite don't qualify for the credits.

The Model S doesn't get the subsidies either.
But for years they did. That’s why a large portion of the population is skeptical about government spending.
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:53 PM   #170
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataphen View Post
The entry level Tesla Model 3 and Model Y are cheaper than the average price of a new car or crossover, especially if they qualify for the tax credit which is redeemed at the time of purchase as of 2024. It’s like putting $7500 cash down without any out of pocket costs. They’re not prohibitively expensive for anyone who’s in the market for a new vehicle.

It’s weird to me that so many arguments seem to leave out the charging at home aspect as well. You can’t fill up from a gas pump in your garage while you sleep. Outside of a power outage, which is rare in most cases, you’re just not going to have to think about it in typical day-to-day use. Most households would be fine having an EV for their primary runabout. Current shortcomings are lack of flexibility on roadtrips, towing, and living in apartments or extreme environments where you don’t have reliable home charging available. Outside of those things I think people would be surprised if they’d just give them a shot.
I was mostly alone posting this give it a look, in a Camaro section thread. I didn't know of this section. IDK why some people are so strongly against EVs for no intelligent reasons. There are drawbacks but not to the clickbait yahoo headline extent or some posts.
High speed very long road trips in an area without charging, ok how often does everyone do that and has not a second car or could say rent one from for $50 for that once in a year scenario? Montana charging network? Same charge in your garage if you live in town and if not you likely know a big 4wd truck is the answer for the deep snow, neither a ZL1 or Camaro in real life. Der but yur Tesla cain't swim can it..
But one time in band camp the power went out...and a hurricane was coming and a tree fell down on the road and..
I leave Tesla at least half charged, do you leave your car out of gas at home? Have you tried to fill up at the gas station when the pumps have no power? Gas costs FAR more than electricity where I live, that's mostly overlooked with the haters. Them things is gonna burn I saw it on yahoo...

Who is saying you must buy it and it is the very best option in everyone's only car situation? I got into minivans too many years back. I would cringe at the thought but after riding in one and seeing the benefits to ME I put aside my initial dislike with no experience with one.

I had a Firebird with a 2.73 geared rear and trans that didn't kick down as fast as it should and I enjoyed being able to lean into the throttle without getting attention. I had my ZL1 out yesterday and it provides a fun driving experience too but not in the same ways as a fast stealthy good enough handling and braking Tesla. Oh but they aren't good for Indy500 or my Top speed roadtrack that my ZLE is. Yep, and who is arguing that for you're very narrow usage. Just like your ZLE won't pull a utility trailer with a tractor. Different tools for different uses but most people can use an EV.

Edit: below

Last edited by silversleeper; 02-12-2024 at 04:25 PM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:34 PM   #171
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I was mostly alone posting this give it a look, in a Camaro section thread. I didn't know of this section. IDK why some people are so strongly against EVs for no intelligent reasons. There are drawbacks but not to the clickbait yahoo headline extent or some posts.
High speed very long road trips in an area without charging, ok how often does everyone do that and has not a second car or could say rent one from for $50 for that once in a year scenario? Montana charging network? Same charge in your garage if you live in town and if not you likely know a big 4wd truck is the answer for the deep snow, neither a ZL1 or Camaro in real life. Der but yur Tesla cain't swim can it..
But one time in band camp the power went out...and a hurricane was coming and a tree fell down on the road and..
I leave Tesla at least half charged, do you leave your car out of gas at home? Have you tried to fill up at the gas station when the pumps have no power? Gas costs FAR more than electricity where I live, that's mostly overlooked with the haters. Them things is gonna burn I saw it on yahoo...

Who is saying you must buy it and it is the very best option in everyone's only car situation? I got into minivans too many years back. I would cringe at the thought but after riding in one and seeing the benefits to ME I put aside my initial dislike with no experience with one.

I had a Firebird with a 2.73 geared rear and trans that didn't kick down as fast as it should and I enjoyed being able to lean into the throttle without getting attention. I had my ZL1 out yesterday and it provides a fun driving experience too but not in the same ways as a fast stealthy good enough handling and breaking Tesla. Oh but they aren't good for Indy500 or my Top speed roadtrack that my ZLE is. Yep, and who is arguing that for you're very narrow usage. Just like your ZLE won't pull a utility trailer with a tractor. Different tools for different uses but most people can use an EV.
Dude…stop making sense. You’re gonna piss off the locals.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 04:32 PM   #172
silversleeper
Big Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I'm still trying to teach my Y to swim. I think if I just flip it upside down it looks watertightEdit: then some nut drives too fast through water to watch it swim https://autos.yahoo.com/video-tesla-...152700049.html

Last edited by silversleeper; 02-21-2024 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-12-2024, 05:31 PM   #173
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Old 02-13-2024, 08:23 AM   #174
docwra

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I was mostly alone posting this give it a look, in a Camaro section thread. I didn't know of this section. IDK why some people are so strongly against EVs for no intelligent reasons.

There are drawbacks but not to the clickbait yahoo headline extent or some posts.
I actually run 3 EVs and Ive been trying to make this case on here for about 3 months. I gave up last week as I was basically being called a liar for quoting facts.
Its crazy how people can be so against something thats so obviously better in terms of pollution, running costs and usability.
docwra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 07:08 PM   #175
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
For the nth time, this is a Camaro forum, why do you expect a ton of EV enthusiasm? Do you see anyone touting the beauty of the sweet V8 noises an LT1 or LT4 produces on a Tesla forum? Of course you don't.

Also for the nth time, people generally aren't opposed to electric vehicles per se, after all, who would be against their own wallet in cases where EVs make a lot of sense; rather, they are opposed to the forceful shoving down on throats that unfortunately accompanies this technology.

Many of the so-called "intelligent reasons" are not so very intelligent once you expand your view beyond the highly localized ownership experience of zero pollution (in your house if you have one, plus on the immediate outside of your EV) and cheap electricity (because EVs are still only a drop in the ocean and the system is still geared towards fleecing ICE owners---if the majority starts driving EVs, you can bet your rear end these sweet cheap electricity rates early adopters enjoy for a while will go bye-bye).

This whole thing should be all about "live and let live", but many more EV owners exhibit this "our way or the highway, move over, dinosaurs" mentality than vice versa, no wonder people dig their heels in. As always, the questions and arguments here are complex, and everyone deals with that complexity in a way that they are best/most capable of.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 10:36 PM   #176
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
For the nth time, this is a Camaro forum, why do you expect a ton of EV enthusiasm? Do you see anyone touting the beauty of the sweet V8 noises an LT1 or LT4 produces on a Tesla forum? Of course you don't.
Actually, I do. There’s also a guy I’m familiar with from Mustang forums who is also pretty active on the same Tesla users group.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 02-13-2024, 10:44 PM   #177
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Actually, I do. There’s also a guy I’m familiar with from Mustang forums who is also pretty active on the same Tesla users group.
James, you are hereby exonerated in the case of all those EV love letters you posted here Just kidding in good cheer, of course, but you're still the (knowledgeable and very patient) exception, not the norm.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 10:58 PM   #178
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
James, you are hereby exonerated in the case of all those EV love letters you posted here Just kidding in good cheer, of course, but you're still the (knowledgeable and very patient) exception, not the norm.
Guess I’m an equal opportunity turd.

Old 02-14-2024, 01:21 AM   #179
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:
Quote:

I can imagine that guy is pretty smug that Chevy switched to their firing order.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 03:26 AM   #180
docwra

Quote:
Totally. But you dont expect wholesale rejection of the fact they are selling well, or can be totally clean, or cost less to run, there seems to be some kind of underlying hatred towards them.

Quote:
This whole thing should be all about "live and let live"
Thats all anyone is asking for. Drive what you want to drive.

Quote:
but many more EV owners exhibit this "our way or the highway, move over, dinosaurs" mentality than vice versa, no wonder people dig their heels in
And every EV owner Ive heard from acknowledges the downsides, mainly cost of purchase and range anxiety. They dont work for everyone.

But we arent the guys talking about "virtue signalling", no-one is calling for the end of ICE and as someone else pointed out this is not a mandate so why all the hate and negativity?
You can let the EVs exist, maybe even admire the tech progress and still keep driving your ZL1, its not that difficult.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:23 AM   #181
docwra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS1LE View Post
These kinds of false statements are why so many people don’t believe a word that comes out of EV supporters mouths. Plenty of people are calling for a ban on ICE vehicles including your own Prime Minister.
Are you genuinely that stupid? Theres no ban on ICE vehicles, they just wont be sold new. In 11 years time. If the law doesnt get changed again.

This is exactly what Im talking about, once again Ill leave you to it.
Old 02-14-2024, 10:49 AM   #182
silversleeper
Big Crow

If this is a Camaro only discussion why all the comments on side issues like mandates by law and electrical grid and overall mining or power supply pollution being brought up?

EV or at least hybrid isn't new. "Early adopter" doesn't apply for eg Tesla which started 20 years ago! Their roadster in 2008 was an early product and wasn't great at all. I agree with hesitancy on early products especially by a new company. There are plenty of examples even GMs first EVs and their problems despite having the advantage of a Tesla and many chinese BYD to copy. A plug in hybrid might be an ideal solution for the masses and trucks.

I might note the irony of those who argue the loudest against changing the Camaro have not voted with their dollars to get a 2023 or 2024 Camaro. So you're saying privately they aren't worth buying. I have after some many years upgraded to 3 new cars in the last year. Sales decide, not opinions or loud forum comments. I wanted to stay with GM and get a 2024 Equinox EV and waited and waited and waited (they STILL aren't available until someday), and with Y dropped prices and rebate not gone away which could happen any day as those things change with the wind I had to go with a brand that has a track record in EVs but not as long as GM in longevity.

Mandates won't happen, none of US are for that anyways, preaching to the choir.

Pollution yes that's debatable if you do high pollution mining vs drilling and accidents and coal fired power vs hydro or nuclear power and the list goes on. I don't think any of us cares to dive deep into those debates on this forum and this thread on ZL1 vs EV, which was the whole point of discussion. People who have longer experiences with both to compare. Tesla Y is the highest volume selling single car label in the world, Camaro is going out of production because of low volume sales. Yes the market dictates. Does that say to you the Camaro needs to catch up and make some changes? helloooo

Do you have an oil well on your roof and a refinery in your attic to fill your tank in the garage as you sleep? I do, got the big rebate on the EV and the solar panels I put on my roof a couple years ago after the technology greatly improved on them and price makes them worth it. Same issue; we aren't here to debate the fairness of rebates. I paid for others to get them for so many years, I'll take it now since they are handing it out, my turn and I should have no shame.

A few people don't want any changes or improvements to their lives or products. Fine but the products will then be unsellable. If someone doesn't want to entertain how an EV might improve a sports car or fit into their lives fine, don't think about it or read an EV thread or news article.

Last edited by silversleeper; 02-14-2024 at 01:23 PM.