The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 01-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
CHANGED 2014 ORDER TO 2015 ZO6 CONVERTIBLE

Given that Chevy continues to work out 2014 bugs, the advent of the 2015 Performance Data Recorder and ZO6 Vert, and the fact I likely shall continue to wait on a 2014 given constraints and allocation problems, I changed my 2014 order to a 2015 ZO6 Vert w/ZO7 performance package with other goodies to come as available. Deferred gratification is the key here and I have the patience to wait on what may be the crème de la crème of sports cars, dare I say race cars, of all time. Anyone else thinking of changing to a 2015 and/or ZO6 Vert?

Last edited by Richardlord; 01-15-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #2
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Z06 vert? Did GM announce they will produce a Z06/Z07 Convertible for the '15 MY? That would be a cool beast! Personally I haven't ruled out on upgrading to a Z06 coupe (targa version)... but too early to tell, I'm gladly enjoying my Z51 for at least another 12 months or so.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Where did you see anything about a Z06 convertible? Every press release I've seen, including those from Chevrolet, only indicate the targa panel is removable. No mention of a full convertible. Cool if true, though convertibles aren't allowed by any race sanctioning body without rollbars. Seems a little odd Chevy would offer a race capable car that couldn't weekend race without modifications.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
Richardlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
Where did you see anything about a Z06 convertible? Every press release I've seen, including those from Chevrolet, only indicate the targa panel is removable. No mention of a full convertible. Cool if true, though convertibles aren't allowed by any race sanctioning body without rollbars. Seems a little odd Chevy would offer a race capable car that couldn't weekend race without modifications.
ZO6 Vert link - Hope its true!
http://www.gtspirit.com/2014/01/11/e...ongside-coupe/
Old 01-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I'd take that with a grain of salt.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
Richardlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I'd take that with a grain of salt.
I'd take a C7 ZO6 Vert with any amount of salt - I remember when the C7 was first introduced with the Z51 Package and some wondered if the Vert could possibly come as a Z51 - The 2013 427 Vert at over 500hp was a breakthrough - With the C7 ZO6 chassis, I expect a Vert is very possible - The world of Vert performance possibilities has changed dramatically with the new C7
Old 01-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
1stcorvette

Drives: None at present
2014 Z51 Vert, to 2015 Z06 Vert....by then the '16 Vert, then the '16 Z07/08

If you are willing to wait, GM will eventually make a vehicle that you might be satisfied with. I can see this as a never ending quest, but good luck either way...
Old 01-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
Richardlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stcorvette View Post
2014 Z51 Vert, to 2015 Z06 Vert....by then the '16 Vert, then the '16 Z07/08

If you are willing to wait, GM will eventually make a vehicle that you might be satisfied with. I can see this as a never ending quest, but good luck either way...
Has to be a Vert and so that limits choices - A C7 Vert ZO6, if a reality, is probably the Vert limit - I can't see a ZR1 Vert - If not for a ZO6, like others, I would wait for the 2015 Performance Data Recorder - If I can get a 2015 ZO6 Vert, I would be satisfied with that - If it did not have cylinder deactivation, I would not go to a ZO6 if the gas mileage was significantly lower - I have been reading that some with a 2014 already are planning to update to a 2015.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
bowtiefamily

Drives: Chevrolet
Well, anything is possible. I think it is a huge step that the top is going to be removable. It says a lot about the engineering that went it to the chassis. So a vert? Ok, I could believe it.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Hadn't seen that article, but I'm a little sceptical of its veracity, especially since it was posted prior to the official unveiling. The Z06 is generally marketed as a weekend track car, and a convertible would require a 4-point or more roll bar in order to be allowed on track, for safety. While it certainly could be built with the current architecture, I suspect it wouldn't sell well. Only time will tell. Perhaps a convertible would be the next Grand Sport?
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #11
Richardlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
Hadn't seen that article, but I'm a little sceptical of its veracity, especially since it was posted prior to the official unveiling. The Z06 is generally marketed as a weekend track car, and a convertible would require a 4-point or more roll bar in order to be allowed on track, for safety. While it certainly could be built with the current architecture, I suspect it wouldn't sell well. Only time will tell. Perhaps a convertible would be the next Grand Sport?
Chevy has the C7 as a Coupe and Vert with the Z51 option. In 2015 there shall be the ZO6 at least in a Coupe. There is nothing in between these two option in a Vert and I can't see how there could be one. I can't see a Grand Sport. What would a Grand Sport or 427 type have that surpasses a C7 Z51 except on a ZO6 scale? I read that a ZR1 is probably out of the question as the C7 ZO6 surpasses past ZR1 performance. Where does Chevy go on a ZR1 except perhaps to an insane 1,000 HP.

If the ZO6 also comes as a Vert, that would fill in the void of a super high performance Vert that other car manufacturers have or are introducing. Even the Camaro and the new Mustang shall have super high performance Verts. I can't see anyone buying a ZO6 Vert for the track but I do see folks wanting a super high performance Vert that is street friendly. What Vette Vert person would not want a ZO6 Vert? Well, gas mileage may be one factor. I probably would not contemplate a ZO6 Vert if it did not have cylinder deactivation and the other engine enhancements of the C7 to justify more than occasional usage. I expect gas mileage still in the 20s - not 29 MPH but more than 20 MPH - and probably somewhere in between. Expect the first 600 HP super car with astonishing gas mileage. Price may be another factor, but only to the Porsche or Viper range and likely below.

The bottom line is that I think Chevy shall come up with a super high performance Vert to compete with future SRT Vert products as well as foreign super Verts. A ZO6 Vert would well fit the bill and be very possible. Maybe Chevy comes up with a lesser Grand Sport or 427 type Vert between 460 HP and that of the ZO6, but unless on a ZO6 level, I think most as I would be satisfied with a C7 Z51 Vert. A non ZO6 Vert above that of a C7 Z51 that would have to have more going for it than HP to get me to buy it over a C7 Z51 Vert.

With the C7 technology, a ZO6 Vert is within the realm of possibility. I am an optimist for a CO6 Vert. If not, the 2015 at least have the Performance Data Recorder. So, not a bad wait even if a ZO6 Vert does not materialize.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #12
Stingray
just can't get enough

In regards to speculation, here's MT's excerpt referencing (predicting) a twin-turbo LT1 in a CTS-V and on a future ZR1... debatable as why not hope & hold out for this one too? Maybe even a vert version... for 2016, 2017, etc.

"Better yet, it’s slated to get a seven-speed manual gearbox option. Even better than that is Cadillac's plan for an ATS-V+, which will get an even more powerful V-8, and could arrive as soon as 2017. Could the V-8 be the new supercharged, "625+ hp" LT4 from the 2015 Corvette Z06? We sure hope so. What's not getting the LT4 is the new Cadillac CTS-V. Instead, it gets a new twin-turbo version of the Corvette’s LT1 V-8, an engine that's also slated for the next Corvette ZR1."

Source: http://m.motortrend.com/wot/1401_cad..._turbo_v6.html

In any case or whatever GM'a plans are... what a great opportunity to have so many choices! A good problem IMO.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #13
Richardlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
In regards to speculation, here's MT's excerpt referencing (predicting) a twin-turbo LT1 in a CTS-V and on a future ZR1... debatable as why not hope & hold out for this one too? Maybe even a vert version... for 2016, 2017, etc.

"Better yet, it’s slated to get a seven-speed manual gearbox option. Even better than that is Cadillac's plan for an ATS-V+, which will get an even more powerful V-8, and could arrive as soon as 2017. Could the V-8 be the new supercharged, "625+ hp" LT4 from the 2015 Corvette Z06? We sure hope so. What's not getting the LT4 is the new Cadillac CTS-V. Instead, it gets a new twin-turbo version of the Corvette’s LT1 V-8, an engine that's also slated for the next Corvette ZR1."

Source: http://m.motortrend.com/wot/1401_cad..._turbo_v6.html

In any case or whatever GM'a plans are... what a great opportunity to have so many choices! A good problem IMO.
Here is a 2015 ZO6 Vert Rendering by Hansen Art - beautiful Car - Can anyone not like this Vette?

http://news.boldride.com/2014/01/stu...endered/42533/
Old 01-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #14
Stingray
just can't get enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardlord View Post
Here is a 2015 ZO6 Vert Rendering by Hansen Art - beautiful Car - Can anyone not like this Vette?

http://news.boldride.com/2014/01/stu...endered/42533/

Indeed, very nice. If I would go the droptop route, I'll gladly take that new fantastic grayish/silverish color... it's another perfect color to accentuate the contrasting CFM vents.