The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
Fruitay

Drives: 2001 Z06 Corvette
Have any of you owned or own a C5Z?

I'm looking for a car to mostly road race and take some long drives in.
Whats your impression of the Camaro after owning a C5 Corvette?
Does it have better handling?
How does the speed feel?
Do you think I will regret selling the Corvette? I got this one hooked up pretty good but I gotta get rid of it and get a house with a garage. After that, I'll be ready to put something in that garage! Do you feel the 1LE will be a good choice?
I could save a little longer and get a Z/28.... But part of me is thinking 1SS 1LE as light as I can get.
I would like some good opinions from those with experience

Fruitay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
save up for a c7. maybe by the time you are ready to buy, you can pick up a good used c7.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
Fruitay

I do love the C7s! I figure I'll be having a kid or two in the next five years so maybe the back seats of a Camaro could accommodate them? Hopefully I could save the awkward moment of picking one person to come along for a joy ride.
That is a great idea though! Thank you for the input!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitay View Post
I do love the C7s! I figure I'll be having a kid or two in the next five years so maybe the back seats of a Camaro could accommodate them? Hopefully I could save the awkward moment of picking one person to come along for a joy ride.
That is a great idea though! Thank you for the input!
Well, our C5 Z06 also had engine oil overheating issues like the 1LE also does, but it seems like C7 Z51 has overheating issues on multiple components:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-t...d-the-bad.html

You might want to wait until C7 Z06 is released and retrofit/upgrade kits come out to upgrade C7 Z51 to keep it cool at the track. The rear scoops that are supposed to cool down the transmission and engine seem to be inadequate.

I also think that 1LE is the best bet in the market for a good track car. If you're after passing everyone, you'd obviously get something else, but for the money, I think it provides best performance. I always race against myself, focusing on improving my own driving and times, so 1LE would be perfect for me. If your EGO will be hurt by not being the fastest (and C5 Z06 is considerably faster than 1LE), then you might consider keeping the C5 Z06, or perhaps getting a cheap NA Miata and turbocharging it (which would be less fun to drive with non-linear power output, but faster than anything else).
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
I had a 2002 Z06. It was bone stock when I bought it, then I had fun adding all the bolt ons and a mild cam before I sold it. I now drive a 2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE. The Camaro obviously has a nicer interior, updated technology and better ride all around.

Even though the Camaro is 600lbs heavier it feels like it handles the same as the Z06.

As for power, the Vette was quicker due to the reduced weight. After the mods I was in the high 11's. The Camaro 1LE has the 3.91 rear and makes it feel a bit lighter than it really is. The most noticeable difference is down at low rpm, the vette just goes from launch where the camaro shows its weight in the 2-4k rpm range. Once at around 4k rpm in the camaro the LS3 really pulls hard. The ZL1 with the supercharger fixes all this with tons of torque at low rpm.

There is a big spread between the cost of a 1le and a Z28. IMO, the Z28 is really a race car and you have to track it in order to fully appreciate it. The 1LE is the expensive daily driver that folks can take to the track on the weekends to get their grins. If money is not an issue then yeah the Z28 all the way. Some will argue that for less money you can get a loaded C7 Vette, which is what I would probably do in that case.

If you want the gauges, HUD and leather then you probably should spring for the 2SS. If you don't care then get a 1SS, NPP Exhaust, upgraded stereo if you need it and backup camera option since the visibility is pretty rough. Those are the bare essentials for a low cost 1LE.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
Fruitay

Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
Well, our C5 Z06 also had engine oil overheating issues like the 1LE also does, but it seems like C7 Z51 has overheating issues on multiple components:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-t...d-the-bad.html

You might want to wait until C7 Z06 is released and retrofit/upgrade kits come out to upgrade C7 Z51 to keep it cool at the track. The rear scoops that are supposed to cool down the transmission and engine seem to be inadequate.

I also think that 1LE is the best bet in the market for a good track car. If you're after passing everyone, you'd obviously get something else, but for the money, I think it provides best performance. I always race against myself, focusing on improving my own driving and times, so 1LE would be perfect for me. If your EGO will be hurt by not being the fastest (and C5 Z06 is considerably faster than 1LE), then you might consider keeping the C5 Z06, or perhaps getting a cheap NA Miata and turbocharging it (which would be less fun to drive with non-linear power output, but faster than anything else).
Huh, I have yet to hear of that. I was surprised at how cool mine kept at the track. Granted, I'm in the NW and most of my days were very cool and I am just a beginner so my skill level was no sweat for the thing.
I want to stick with the lovely rawness of a V8 Chevy so a Miata wouldn't be my choice but I love the input!
Thank you very much for the link and reply!
Old 07-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
Fruitay

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
I had a 2002 Z06. It was bone stock when I bought it, then I had fun adding all the bolt ons and a mild cam before I sold it. I now drive a 2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE. The Camaro obviously has a nicer interior, updated technology and better ride all around.

Even though the Camaro is 600lbs heavier it feels like it handles the same as the Z06.

As for power, the Vette was quicker due to the reduced weight. After the mods I was in the high 11's. The Camaro 1LE has the 3.91 rear and makes it feel a bit lighter than it really is. The most noticeable difference is down at low rpm, the vette just goes from launch where the camaro shows its weight in the 2-4k rpm range. Once at around 4k rpm in the camaro the LS3 really pulls hard. The ZL1 with the supercharger fixes all this with tons of torque at low rpm.

There is a big spread between the cost of a 1le and a Z28. IMO, the Z28 is really a race car and you have to track it in order to fully appreciate it. The 1LE is the expensive daily driver that folks can take to the track on the weekends to get their grins. If money is not an issue then yeah the Z28 all the way. Some will argue that for less money you can get a loaded C7 Vette, which is what I would probably do in that case.

If you want the gauges, HUD and leather then you probably should spring for the 2SS. If you don't care then get a 1SS, NPP Exhaust, upgraded stereo if you need it and backup camera option since the visibility is pretty rough. Those are the bare essentials for a low cost 1LE.
I'd like to keep away from navigation, for sure. I do like the sound of a nicer interior. Heads up also seems nice to have! A good stereo would be sweet as well. The main reason for the car would be the track but heads up would be nice to keep the speed down and the tickets at a minimum for my vacation drives. The stereo would be nice for that reason as well. I guess the Z/28 has some serious lack in that aspect which would be a bummer at times.

Maybe a C6 Z06 would be something to consider since I would like to keep the speed up!

Thank you, 1Le's!