Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-11-2024, 09:35 AM   #1
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
11.2 volts

I tend to drive it once every two to three months. The car started slow but it did start, got the window roll up/down pop up.

The 3 year old battery looks pristine, nothing obvious and at the battery 11.2 volts. Took it for a fifteen minute drive up to 65mph then parked and checked, 11.4 volts. Hmm.

Got my trickle charger under the hood and after four hours 11.8 volts checked under the hood too. 12 hours later 12.1 volts which seems kinda slow.

Anybody see a problem there? Admittedly I didn't check the battery clamps but I swear it all looked great. 16,523 garaged miles so I would doubt anything like an alt is going out and yes I'm planning on a float charger today.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:08 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Is the time sitting between drives on a trickle charger/maintainer?

A trickle charger isn’t really designed to charge a low battery so if the battery is still good it might take a long time to gain a charge or not at all without a full size battery charger.

And did you confirm the voltage with a separate voltmeter.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:11 AM   #3
MSgt O

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert LS3/M6
Sounds about right for a trickle charger actually...and 15 min drive isnt going to charge your low voltage battery that much. Id leave the trickle on for 2 days and then check
MSgt O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:36 AM   #4
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Letting the battery get low causes sulphation with will dramatically lower the life of the battery. Some modern chargers have a cycle to help reverse this. A trickle charger may not ever charge a battery that's too low, either take it on a long ride or borrow an actual battery charger to get it up then leave the trickle charger on it when not in use.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:10 AM   #5
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
Letting the battery get low causes sulphation with will dramatically lower the life of the battery. Some modern chargers have a cycle to help reverse this. A trickle charger may not ever charge a battery that's too low, either take it on a long ride or borrow an actual battery charger to get it up then leave the trickle charger on it when not in use.
This.
I’ve read that real damage to the battery occurs at around 10.5 volts. But, that depends on multiple factors. Age of battery, etc.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:54 AM   #6
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Ok, slow to trickle charge sounds about right since after 36 hours it's up to 12.3 volts.
Battery tender will be going on tonight.
Good to know something's not going south.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:34 PM   #7
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
This.
I’ve read that real damage to the battery occurs at around 10.5 volts. But, that depends on multiple factors. Age of battery, etc.
Lead acid cells are 2.1 V and 6 cells make up a battery. If one cell quits working that's where the 10.5 number comes from. Time for a new battery!

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:49 PM   #8
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
. Time for a new battery!
+1.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote