Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-10-2023, 02:21 PM   #1
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
What do you look for in a Cold Air Intake.

Hey Camaro5! Phastek here.
We wanted to get a fresh perspective on the Cold Air Kits you have and
how you feel about them. On our store we offer a wide range of Cold Air Intake
Kits for the 5th Gen and we know what we like, but we want to know what you guys are running and what sold you guys on the kit you selected as well as how is it performing over time? Has it been easy to clean/maintain? Did you choose Open Box or Closed Box. Oiled filter or Dry filter? Do you feel the HP gains advertised were true. Was the installation easy?
Please feel free to answer one or all questions. Any feedback is always welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Here are some Bullet Points to go off of

• Submodel (V6, SS, ZL1) -
  • Brand and Type (Open or Closed Box, Oiled or Dry) –
  • Experience over time
  • Pros -
  • Cons -
Old 10-10-2023, 02:37 PM   #2
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
    2010 SS
    Airaid, open top, dry filter
  • Experience over time
    It was on the car when I purchased it so its just kinda what I stuck with. Id like to eventually switch to a sealed box, probably CAI brand.
    Occasionally the elbow slips off the throttle body and causes limp mode. Its been happening more and more lately no matter how much i adjust or retighten.
  • Pros -
    It was free since it was on the car at purchase.
    Looks decent when hood is open but not the best
    With the vented hood, i can hear it sucking air which i mean, is always cool
  • Cons -
    With my new vented hood, i worry about water but no issues yet
    Occasionally the elbow slips off the throttle body and causes limp mode. Its been happening more and more lately no matter how much i adjust or retighten.
    The fit isnt PERFECT even after multiple adjustments but again, i didnt do the original install so maybe the PO messed something up.
    Filter replacement is pricey but seems inline with others.
    The rubber weather-stripping that seals it to the hood kinda looks like crap and bothers me when the hood is open at shows.
[/QUOTE]

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 02:43 PM   #3
ABM2SS

Drives: 2010 SS M6 ABM
I look for the OEM type replacement filters. They do better job of filtering out the small particles that get past the Piston Rings and wear on Bearings. I'm not the type to sacrifice long engine life for a couple of extra horsepower.
ABM2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 02:58 PM   #4
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
-I have a 2010 2SS
-I am using the Cold Air Inductions intake, closed box, oiled
-Definitely loving it, as I understand the intakes on these cars are already pretty good, so gains are not massive unless you start pushing the engine more, so I went with the one that looked the best and I still get compliments on it, plus those induction sounds alone make it worth it.
-pros are pretty much outlined above
-i have two major cons and both are kind of my fault, one is that I switched to a rotofab windshield washer fluid reservoir and forgot to get the parts you need specifically for this kit and of course you can't buy them separately, so now the air box and the reservoir push off each other which makes it hard to close the lid, the weird bolts don't help either. Second con is the recharge kit, I got one before the oil bottle was a spray one so it's just a pour spout method and I cannot for the life of me get the thing oiled properly, I end up using too much oil and making this huge puddle and then somehow the whole thing is still not covered evenly.
Old 10-10-2023, 03:48 PM   #5
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM2SS View Post
I look for the OEM type replacement filters. They do better job of filtering out the small particles that get past the Piston Rings and wear on Bearings. I'm not the type to sacrifice long engine life for a couple of extra horsepower.

I run a dry panel cleanable filter in my sig, filters very well when Overkill Will did the tests. Extra engine wear in exchange for that phantom one horsepowers not worth it. The 20 to 30 HP they claim?

And i've been nice and not thrown around words like 'snake oil' or 'scam'.
I'm trying achieve an inner peace plus be more socially acceptable.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:58 AM   #6
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
I have used a Cold Air Inductions intake for many years, and more recently a Vararam OTR. Both with oiled filters. Both filter fine, both are pretty simple to maintain. The Vararam, or any OTR, is definitely going to out-perform (in terms of intake air temps) intakes that live with a fresh air source under the hood, box or not. They also tend to have a shorter, straighter path for air to enter the engine.

What the industry needs is a good options for all model year 5th gens for an OTR (over the radiator) option. New Era made one for a bit that was super high quality and desirable - I'd redesign and build that!
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 09:42 AM   #7
SS_CTS-V

Drives: 2015 SS, 2006 CTS-V (wrecked...)
Submodel (V6, SS, ZL1) - 2015 SS
Brand and Type (Open or Closed Box, Oiled or Dry) – CAI, closed box, oiled filter
Experience over time - Never saw much of an actual performance gain, but the induction noise is great (when I keep the NOWEEDS closed). Looks great too and is super easy to service. Works well with the air scoop, but tends to get dirty pretty quick. Just for looks and sounds alone I feel it was a good investment.
Pros - Looks great, sounds good. Fitment is excellent when used with a washer bottle relocation/replacement.
Cons - When paired with an air scoop, the filter gets dirty/clogged quick

Installation was pretty easy with minimal skill needed to swap out the washer bottle and change the PCV hose connection. Super glad I installed the air scoop at the same time, otherwise it would have been a bit of a repeat later. I don't see much that could be improved from a functional standpoint, as the intake tube size and filter size exceed what just about any N/A motor could need. The quality is excellent from the coating inside and out, smooth bends and insulated air box. The low profile allen head quick fasteners on the lid are a great touch that makes servicing the filter less of a hassle, and they look great. I honestly like the window in the top of the air box, zero performance difference, but it's nice to be able to see the filter. Cost is always a concern, but given the level of build and overall quality, of the CAI brand, the price is justified.

For something to improve, I think you'd have to take a radically different approach. Possibly integrate a hood insert intake for the 14-15 SS, inspired by the intake on E90 snorkel that draws air from the hood? Or come up with an effective ram air intake like Banks has been pushing for the diesel crowd? Just some thoughts. I like acammer's suggestion for a quality OTR intake.

Last edited by SS_CTS-V; 10-11-2023 at 10:15 AM.
SS_CTS-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 10:39 AM   #8
Sales@Phastek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arogg View Post
    2010 SS
    Airaid, open top, dry filter
  • Experience over time
    It was on the car when I purchased it so its just kinda what I stuck with. Id like to eventually switch to a sealed box, probably CAI brand.
  • Pros -
    It was free since it was on the car at purchase.
    Looks decent when hood is open but not the best
    With the vented hood, i can hear it sucking air which i mean, is always cool
  • Cons -
    With my new vented hood, i worry about water but no issues yet
    The fit isnt PERFECT even after multiple adjustments but again, i didnt do the original install so maybe the PO messed something up.
    Filter replacement is pricey but seems inline with others.
    The rubber weather-stripping that seals it to the hood kinda looks like crap and bothers me when the hood is open at shows.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for your feedback. Information like this really helps us out. You might try this trick for the elbow slipping off of the throttle body. Take a red scotch bright pad and rough up the surface on the throttle body where the elbow attached and make sure the inside of the elbow is clean and dry. When you get ready for the CAI you can use discount code Welcome5
Old 10-11-2023, 11:18 AM   #9
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6

Thank you very much for your feedback. Information like this really helps us out. You might try this trick for the elbow slipping off of the throttle body. Take a red scotch bright pad and rough up the surface on the throttle body where the elbow attached and make sure the inside of the elbow is clean and dry. When you get ready for the CAI you can use discount code Welcome5[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip and code! Looks like ill be placing another Phastek order sooner than I thought!

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 02:53 PM   #10
Sales@Phastek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddymel1998 View Post
-I have a 2010 2SS
-I am using the Cold Air Inductions intake, closed box, oiled
-Definitely loving it, as I understand the intakes on these cars are already pretty good, so gains are not massive unless you start pushing the engine more, so I went with the one that looked the best and I still get compliments on it, plus those induction sounds alone make it worth it.
-pros are pretty much outlined above
-i have two major cons and both are kind of my fault, one is that I switched to a rotofab windshield washer fluid reservoir and forgot to get the parts you need specifically for this kit and of course you can't buy them separately, so now the air box and the reservoir push off each other which makes it hard to close the lid, the weird bolts don't help either. Second con is the recharge kit, I got one before the oil bottle was a spray one so it's just a pour spout method and I cannot for the life of me get the thing oiled properly, I end up using too much oil and making this huge puddle and then somehow the whole thing is still not covered evenly.

Thank you very much for your feedback. We do offer the CAI Recharge Kit that comes with the spray bottles.
Old 10-11-2023, 03:07 PM   #11
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I know I'm in the minority around these parts but aside from perhaps a little added expense, a GM product essentially designed for the hood / location, and the 'Z/28' unit was a no brainer. Had it on about 6 years. Never looked back. Do y'all carry it?

Name:  IMG_2440.jpeg
Views: 345
Size:  367.6 KB
Old 10-11-2023, 03:50 PM   #12
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I know I'm in the minority around these parts but aside from perhaps a little added expense, a GM product essentially designed for the hood / location, and the 'Z/28' unit was a no brainer. Had it on about 6 years. Never looked back. Do y'all carry it?

Attachment 1138208
The CAI was probably the first mod I did on my Camaro that wasn't something basic maintenance related, back then I didn't even know the z\28 intake was an option, feel like I did might have looked for one, I do see them popping up on eBay every now and again, but between current intake and various parts to fit in the scoop I'm in too far to change now.
Old 10-11-2023, 05:23 PM   #13
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I use the Cold Air Inductions set up but I did the scoop and the roto fab washer relocation kit at the same time. The roto fab washer relocation kit that goes next to the master cylinder is by far the best one out there. I think that you should sale everything in a kit for maybe a discounted price of course.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 05:25 PM   #14
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
I have a 2010 SS with a Whipple and Blower Cam, and "assorted performance items". Tuned by T. Jannety - and it is nasty.

My Set - Up is a CAI with the Washer Bottle relocate and optional Air Duct Option, all from Phastek of course, and the Whipple Blower pipe interconnect kit.
It is a great set-up, I recommend you take it further and seal off everything that the kit dosen't. By that I mean any gap you can see at every point of any external intake air path not sealed off.
Mine has LEDs mounted internally, which is some nice bling at car shows.

The CAI Intake System, to me, is the best choice out there.
Attached Images

Last edited by hesster; 10-13-2023 at 06:13 AM.
hesster is offline   Reply With Quote