Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-24-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
Doug Halsey
Toy Collector

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Lawsuit on Shelby GT350

The hits keep on coming! First it was no new Z/28 and now the GT350 customers are upset that their car is not a track car! So does this help the value of the z/28 or it doesn't matter?

Here is the link: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...d-go-limp-mode

Old 03-24-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
vitkusbuckeye

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #155
The main issue I see is that this only affects the Shelbys without the track pack. Kinda makes sense. If you were planning on tracking the car, buy the track pack with the coolers so it doesn't overheat. The people that choose not to buy the track pack option, or just preferred the tech pack instead knew what they were getting. I'm more interested to see if the voodoo engine is reliable in the long run. Ford already had a recall on an oil line that would come loose from the engine oil cooler, and some people are having issues with the oil pump failing. Partly because it's the same cast pump used on the 5.0 coyote.

I was on the fence on getting the gt350, with track pack, but because I couldn't find one for msrp at the time I got my Z. Couldn't be happier and haven't thought about trading it for the gt350 once!
vitkusbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
D2M

Drives: Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitkusbuckeye View Post

I was on the fence on getting the gt350, with track pack, but because I couldn't find one for msrp at the time I got my Z. Couldn't be happier and haven't thought about trading it for the gt350 once!

I was in the same exact situation. I actually traded my 2014 Mustang for the Z/28. I know Ford had delayed initial production of the GT350 because they had a harmonics issue with the engine. Some production cars still have this issue. I love my Z/28 but I still miss my Mustang once in a while..
D2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:01 PM   #4
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2M View Post
I was in the same exact situation. I actually traded my 2014 Mustang for the Z/28. I know Ford had delayed initial production of the GT350 because they had a harmonics issue with the engine. Some production cars still have this issue. I love my Z/28 but I still miss my Mustang once in a while..
What do you miss about the Mustang vs. the Z28?
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #5
maguilar496

Drives: 96 camaro
My guess is plowing into crowds........lol
maguilar496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #6
D2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
What do you miss about the Mustang vs. the Z28?
( flame suit on ) I purchase both my Mustang and Z brand new ( 1 easy payment ) I had to order the Stang as nobody had what I wanted in stock. This was going to be my No compromise street car that I could take to the track. From my experience the initial quality was a bit better on the Mustang, it just was ( I found many small assembly flaws in the Z ). I had done a full suspension and had adjustable shocks so I miss the comfortable street ride and back road manners as the softer setup let the tire actually stay in contact with the road on bumpy back roads. The Shaker sound system was phenomenal. The gearing was very short so you car actually rip through gears and not go to jail. The LCD dash readout on the dash was very cool and quick to respond and easy to navigate. This car was only 2sec slower than my Z28 ( both on street tires ) at my local track. The paint must have been made of diamonds as it was extremely hard to chip or scratch. The pedal box was perfect and the brake pedal was not over boosted like it is in the Z. The steering feel was also better, there was actually steering feel. Steering ratio was also a bit quicker. Tires were rotatable so they lasted a long time.

Had NO engine mods, bone stock 5.0

In hindsight would I trade back for the Z/28..... No, thankfully I traded right before all the memes came out.. But ultimately I would love to own them both.

Last edited by D2M; 03-24-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitkusbuckeye View Post
The main issue I see is that this only affects the Shelbys without the track pack. Kinda makes sense. If you were planning on tracking the car, buy the track pack with the coolers so it doesn't overheat. The people that choose not to buy the track pack option, or just preferred the tech pack instead knew what they were getting. I'm more interested to see if the voodoo engine is reliable in the long run. Ford already had a recall on an oil line that would come loose from the engine oil cooler, and some people are having issues with the oil pump failing. Partly because it's the same cast pump used on the 5.0 coyote.

From what I've read it seems some of these non track pack GT350's are going into limp mode on the street with spirited driving whereas the regular GT 5.0 does not which a member on mustang6g described as being the case on the same road at the same time on a fun twisty road. That is crazy if true.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #8
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
( flame suit on ) I purchase both my Mustang and Z brand new ( 1 easy payment ) I had to order the Stang as nobody had what I wanted in stock. This was going to be my No compromise street car that I could take to the track. From my experience the initial quality was a bit better on the Mustang, it just was ( I found many small assembly flaws in the Z ). I had done a full suspension and had adjustable shocks so I miss the comfortable street ride and back road manners as the softer setup let the tire actually stay in contact with the road on bumpy back roads. The Shaker sound system was phenomenal. The gearing was very short so you car actually rip through gears and not go to jail. The LCD dash readout on the dash was very cool and quick to respond and easy to navigate. This car was only 2sec slower than my Z28 ( both on street tires ) at my local track. The paint must have been made of diamonds as it was extremely hard to chip or scratch. The pedal box was perfect and the brake pedal was not over boosted like it is in the Z. The steering feel was also better, there was actually steering feel. Steering ratio was also a bit quicker.

Had NO engine mods, bone stock 5.0

In hindsight would I trade back for the Z/28..... No, thankfully I traded right before all the memes came out.. But ultimately I would love to own them both.
Talking up a Mustang on a Z/28 forum...blasphemy...ban him!! LOL. I had a black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca. I miss it at times (mainly because it'd be paid for by now..), but when I really stop and think about it the Z/28 is better in every way. GT350 doesn't do a whole lot for me. 2018 Shelby GT500 might....
Old 03-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #9
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
I actually feel bad for Ford. The customers did not buy a GT350r they bought GT350's. I know very little about them but I knew not to get the base one and track it. You have to get the R version. I feel Ford is being sued falsely.

As for the insane dealer markups, why not just order a car and wait a few months. You get what you want at a lower price. I bet if you found the right dealer you could get one for $100 over invoice just so the dealer could get the allocation of one.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #10
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
A buddy of mine bought a GT350 with the technology package. He told me it says right in the manual that if you take it to the track you should have the track package.
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:10 AM   #11
rcandiloro

Here is what's in the GT350 manual. I wonder how the lawyers will spin this for their clients.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #12
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro View Post
Here is what's in the GT350 manual. I wonder how the lawyers will spin this for their clients.
Hmmm... I would say that pretty much sums it up completely.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #13
D2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post

As for the insane dealer markups, why not just order a car and wait a few months. You get what you want at a lower price. I bet if you found the right dealer you could get one for $100 over invoice just so the dealer could get the allocation of one.
Ford gives one " order allocations " or two if you are a high volume SVT dealer to each dealer for the GT350. If you come in and place a custom order before they order the allowed allocation for their dealer stock then you get what you want, otherwise you are stuck with what they order, but still have to pay a dealer markup. When I was looking 2 years ago all allocations were sold and " in stock units " were 10K to 15K over sticker for the NON R and the R was over 100K. Today they are going for 4k to 5k over sticker weather you order one or in stock, the R is still right under 100K. This system is bad for the initial buy for the first owner but the cars do seem to hold their value.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:30 AM   #14
rcandiloro

Quote:
Ford gives one " order allocations " or two if you are a high volume SVT dealer to each dealer for the GT350. If you come in and place a custom order before they order the allowed allocation for their dealer stock then you get what you want, otherwise you are stuck with what they order, but still have to pay a dealer markup. When I was looking 2 years ago all allocations were sold and " in stock units " were 10K to 15K over sticker for the NON R and the R was over 100K. Today they are going for 4k to 5k over sticker weather you order one or in stock, the R is still right under 100K. This system is bad for the initial buy for the first owner but the cars do seem to hold their value.
I think the R will definitely hold it's value because it's so low volume. Not so sure about the "regular" GT350s?