Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-23-2016, 06:40 AM   #1
exboss

Drives: 2015 Z/28
track prep and parts required

I just picked up my 2015 Z/28 less than a month ago and I am planning on taking it to the track about 12 times this season. I have been tracking cars for 5 years and currently race SPB class in the PCA but thought the Z/28 would be fun for some HPDE days. looking for insight from you people out there that are already tracking your cars. I am not looking to modify or boost HP. simply looking for track prep tips. I see some people modify the coolant. anybody find issues with brake fluid fade? what tires are you running and are you using stock wheels? the big question is brake pads. anyone trying anything on the aftermarket?

appreciate your thoughts.
exboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #2
D2M

Drives: Z/28
Brake fluid and - camber is a must, harness also. May want to get some stone guards behind the front tires if you like the paint on your quarter panels.. I also put a rag with a rubber band around the brake fluid cap, it likes to seep when under G loads.. Also installed mesh behind my grilles to keep the rubber clag out and flying objects from puncturing anything important. Stock everything else..

Im sure more will chime in if I missed anything.
D2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:45 PM   #3
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
15w-50 motor oil is recommended by GM and a 70% distilled water & 30% Dexcool mix. Use a Dot 4 high temp brake fluid for sure. Make sure to "bed the brakes" according to the GM procedure before tracking. The carbon-ceramic brakes require special procedures before optimal performance is obtained. Once they are bedded properly, you will be amazed at the braking performance. Set your air pressures on the Trofeos to 28ish starting psi before tracking.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:42 PM   #4
phillyflyer

Drives: 2015 Z28
Timely thread!

I'm in the same boat so...subscribed
Old 03-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #5
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2M View Post
Brake fluid and - camber is a must, harness also. May want to get some stone guards behind the front tires if you like the paint on your quarter panels.. I also put a rag with a rubber band around the brake fluid cap, it likes to seep when under G loads.. Also installed mesh behind my grilles to keep the rubber clag out and flying objects from puncturing anything important. Stock everything else..

Im sure more will chime in if I missed anything.
What kind of mesh did you use?
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:24 AM   #6
exboss

Drives: 2015 Z/28
ok excellent feedback. I appreciate it but of course now that leads to a few more questions.
stone guards? I have seen a few references to these. something available brand specific?
oil weight: I found this interesting and will keep you guys posted on my statistics. I am a little oil crazy and send all of my samples to blackstone labs for analysis. I will be comparing weights and brands on this car over the next 4,000 miles ( I change the oil every 1000 miles max.) and will post information for everyone to see.
GM procedures: I bought my car used and maybe I am missing some books or info that came with the car? I have nothing that talks about tracking the car from GM. has anyone tried aftermarket pads or just staying with stock?
harnesses: absolute must! I saw some of the old threads about autocross set ups. I installed a harness bar I bought from JDP performance. what I wasn't expecting was that I am now ordering a Cobra seat. I am 6'-2" and don't fit in the stock seat with my helmet on, unless I pull the head liner.
Camber: does factory set up allow you to make negative adjustment enough or do you need to invest in some camber plates?

thanks again. I see a bunch of you guys are NJ, PA and VA. maybe I will see you guys at the Glen. or if anyone is interested in track events in New England let me know and I can share some info. there are now 5 tracks in New England open this season!
exboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:58 AM   #7
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by exboss View Post
ok excellent feedback. I appreciate it but of course now that leads to a few more questions.
stone guards? I have seen a few references to these. something available brand specific?
oil weight: I found this interesting and will keep you guys posted on my statistics. I am a little oil crazy and send all of my samples to blackstone labs for analysis. I will be comparing weights and brands on this car over the next 4,000 miles ( I change the oil every 1000 miles max.) and will post information for everyone to see.
GM procedures: I bought my car used and maybe I am missing some books or info that came with the car? I have nothing that talks about tracking the car from GM. has anyone tried aftermarket pads or just staying with stock?
harnesses: absolute must! I saw some of the old threads about autocross set ups. I installed a harness bar I bought from JDP performance. what I wasn't expecting was that I am now ordering a Cobra seat. I am 6'-2" and don't fit in the stock seat with my helmet on, unless I pull the head liner.
Camber: does factory set up allow you to make negative adjustment enough or do you need to invest in some camber plates?

thanks again. I see a bunch of you guys are NJ, PA and VA. maybe I will see you guys at the Glen. or if anyone is interested in track events in New England let me know and I can share some info. there are now 5 tracks in New England open this season!
aftermarket pads don't help at all with the carbon ceramic setup our Z/28's have. I'm not sure there are many options anyways. With the steel brake setup of the ZL1, there are many brake pad options. You can get a little negative camber with the stock setup but most people have to run camber plates, etc. to get more. Read this document if you haven't already...http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...PREP_Final.pdf
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:01 AM   #8
DavidCorsaro
Hamfist Racing

Drives: '15 Z/28
I have two brand new OEM carbon rotors(fronts) for sale that you'll surely need sooner or later. Priced well below any dealer.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:18 AM   #9
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
aftermarket pads don't help at all with the carbon ceramic setup our Z/28's have. I'm not sure there are many options anyways. With the steel brake setup of the ZL1, there are many brake pad options. You can get a little negative camber with the stock setup but most people have to run camber plates, etc. to get more. Read this document if you haven't already...http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...PREP_Final.pdf
Exactly! Easiest way is just follow every step of that doc.

And make sure to use the PF64 filter when using 15w50. Don't overthink other filter options, that's the one they tested to work with that oil under track conditions. And the new LT1/4's have gone to it. Leads me to believe it's a good filter.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #10
D2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1LE View Post
I use 1/16 fiberglass mesh. I install this on every car I tack, my condenser and coolers look brand new after many track days, not 1 bent fin. On the Z I had to remove the bumper to install.

Also don't forget to remove the water drain panel from under the hood extractor..
Old 03-24-2016, 01:08 PM   #11
hall966

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1LE View Post
Wondering the same thing. Any screen I check open area on at 1/16th is in the 40 to 60% range at best.
Seems like if the engineers went to the trouble to make the flow tie to increase airflow, the screen idea while good in theory, is counterproductive to the airflow needs in high performance driving.
hall966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #12
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Wanna sell your Recaro seat LOL?!?!?!?!?
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:44 PM   #13
D2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall966 View Post
Wondering the same thing. Any screen I check open area on at 1/16th is in the 40 to 60% range at best.
Seems like if the engineers went to the trouble to make the flow tie to increase airflow, the screen idea while good in theory, is counterproductive to the airflow needs in high performance driving.
I have run this same mesh on several cars and many, many track days. Never an issue with temperatures. I live in NJ so it can be 50° in the morning and over 100° in the afternoon. However my club only runs 20min sessions.. I will see how the Z does at 100°+ , I don't foresee any issues in 20min running.

Last edited by D2M; 03-24-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:58 PM   #14
prd72

Drives: 14 Z/28 #180
Change the pedals

You might want to practice Heel/Toe before your first track day. I thought I was pretty good at it until i got it some track situations and a little rain. My foot kept sliding off the brake. wish I had another 1/2 on the left of the throttle

I m going to order some of these ASAP
http://www.southerncarparts.com/2010...ls-p-2927.html
prd72 is offline   Reply With Quote