The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 12-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #29
Korosion

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I believe you are correct on both. The new part # on the SS suspension lowering kit is definitely 84203549 (replaced 84188726). A GM rep confirmed this for me as well, though not sure what exactly changed that drove a new part number.

I checked the Chevrolet accessory site and it appears 84401188 replaced 84242386 for the swaybar/link kit.
Thank you!!
Korosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:50 PM   #30
D K

Drives: C5
I find it super interesting that the baseline car 'happens' to be exactly 2:00.00 lap....

My guess is there was more than just engineering talk at the round table..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #31
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
I find it super interesting that the baseline car 'happens' to be exactly 2:00.00 lap....

What are you suggesting?

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #32
D K

Quote:
What are you suggesting?

Im suggesting that those are not actual numbers and that GM put the combination that they want to market as “fastest”.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:12 PM   #33
vtirocz

Quote:
Im suggesting that those are not actual numbers and that GM put the combination that they want to market as “fastest”.
That's possible, but I think the #s they posted seem about right. I expected spring/shock/swaybar/link kit + SS 1LE wheel/tires on a regular SS to post pretty close lap times to the SS 1LE. With the SS 1LE front brakes I suspect the two would be on top of each other.

If they were making up the numbers as you suggest, don't you think the top dog ZL1 1LE kit would have done better than the much less expensive lowering/handling kit?

Old 12-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #34
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
That's possible, but I think the #s they posted seem about right. I expected spring/shock/swaybar/link kit + SS 1LE wheel/tires on a regular SS to post pretty close lap times to the SS 1LE. With the SS 1LE front brakes I suspect the two would be on top of each other.

If they were making up the numbers as you suggest, don't you think the top dog ZL1 1LE kit would have done better than the much less expensive lowering/handling kit?
+1

Not to mention, if they were just going to make something up it wouldn't have taken nearly as long for them to generate an answer.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #35
NewCamaroOrder

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray 1LE
I went with the 1LE kit with front strut tower brace for my 2017 2SS. It was an amazing handling improvement.

When I switched from the stock Goodyear tires to Michelin PS4s it was almost that much better again. Besides amazing amounts of grip, the ride is much better. I imagine due to the softer side wall. They put me back in touch with the car. The stock Goodyear tires are junk. I switched because the tread tore apart on the right rear. No foreign object intrusion, simply pulled a 1" section of tread apart.

A side note; the 1LE kit was installed 3 - 4 months after purchasing the car new. I measured ride height before installation and after installation I did 2 weeks of daily driving then measured again. The kit lowered my ride height by 1/2". The car has settled another 1/4" since then for a total of 3/4" drop in ride height.
NewCamaroOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:38 PM   #36
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCamaroOrder View Post
I went with the 1LE kit with front strut tower brace for my 2017 2SS. It was an amazing handling improvement.

When I switched from the stock Goodyear tires to Michelin PS4s it was almost that much better again. Besides amazing amounts of grip, the ride is much better. I imagine due to the softer side wall. They put me back in touch with the car. The stock Goodyear tires are junk. I switched because the tread tore apart on the right rear. No foreign object intrusion, simply pulled a 1" section of tread apart.

A side note; the 1LE kit was installed 3 - 4 months after purchasing the car new. I measured ride height before installation and after installation I did 2 weeks of daily driving then measured again. The kit lowered my ride height by 1/2". The car has settled another 1/4" since then for a total of 3/4" drop in ride height.

with or without magride?
Old 12-28-2018, 06:23 AM   #37
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:

I'd be a lot more willing to believe that all of the times were normalized to two minutes exactly.

If nothing else, doing that makes the mental math to get where the various kits stand relative to the 1LE in terms of "seconds per minute" a lot easier.

Norm
Old 12-28-2018, 10:26 AM   #38
D K

Quote:

I am not here to start any conspiracy theories, or accuse anyone - first off.

My observation was simply that the lap times seemed 'doctored' a little bit.

I can GUARANTEE you that I can drive a ZL 1LE DSSV car faster around a track than a 2SS mag ride with the elsd. I would absolutely be faster than the 4.25 sec/min DEFICIT they are suggesting.

So yeah...something not right

Last edited by D K; 12-28-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #39
D K

Quote:

Actually, they would do exactly that.

They would rather promote a kit that they can sell a 1000 of, rather than a very expensive kit that only a few of us would want.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:11 AM   #40
D K

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
+1

Not to mention, if they were just going to make something up it wouldn't have taken nearly as long for them to generate an answer.
I think they needed time to put that whole story together....
Old 12-29-2018, 07:02 AM   #41
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
I can GUARANTEE you that I can drive a ZL 1LE DSSV car faster around a track than a 2SS mag ride with the elsd. I would absolutely be faster than the 4.25 sec/min DEFICIT they are suggesting.
With the DSSV car on base SS tires? Test 5 only said new tires. Not 1LE tires as was clearly spelled out for test 4..

Norm
Old 12-29-2018, 08:35 AM   #42
vtirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
With the DSSV car on base SS tires? Test 5 only said new tires. Not 1LE tires as was clearly spelled out for test 4..

Norm
Exactly. The ZL1 1LE (very stiff springs / DSSV shocks) needs the ZL1 1LE wheel/tire combo (or similar) to perform well. This highlights the importance of matching the tires to the suspension tuning and tuning the package as a whole.

Quote:
I am not here to start any conspiracy theories, or accuse anyone - first off.

My observation was simply that the lap times seemed 'doctored' a little bit.

So yeah...something not right
You can drive a base SS w/ ZL1 1LE suspension kit alone on base SS wheels/tires faster than an SS 1LE? I doubt it.

Add the ZL1 1LE wheel/tire kit or even the SS 1LE wheel/tire kit and I'd believe it.