Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-11-2016, 07:19 AM   #29
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
I think some of us are describing different things here. It's definitely jarring and loud to hit a really big bump or deep pothole at any kind of higher speeds. It shouldn't sound like something is broken or making metal on metal contact though.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #30
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goatman455 View Post
My brand new 2015 even did it on the test drive. We all bought performance track cars. Either stick a tampon in or go buy an SS haha
Clearly you haven't driven real track cars before. The problem is a lack of rebound dampening that allows the shock to top-out violently. Hard enough that I often have to check if the windshield has cracked. Given where I live, this happens half a dozen times per day and makes it feel like the car is falling apart. This isn't about stiffness, or jarring, or even harshness over bumps. This is the front springs having little to no resistance in extending the shocks when they fall off a "ledge" of any kind and the topping-out forces working their way up through the shock to the mount.

The only person who treats that as, "it aint nothing, go put a tampon in" is a moron who's destined to leave this world shortly after yelling, "hey boys, watch this."
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #31
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
There is more rebound and compression in the 1LE than the SS. It is a much more aggressive damping map. The springs are the same, so this should not be a common issue.

Last edited by JusticePete; 07-11-2016 at 01:30 PM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #32
2015_1LE_soon

Drives: 2015_1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
No it's completely normal. I avoid bumps even if they look small. Just yesterday I hit a small wash in a small intersection faster than I should have and bang went the bottom of the car. I nearly cursed out the neighborhood I was in lol.
I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I'M READING! I though I was the only one. I took my car to dealer, they though I was nuts.... Dealer couldn't duplicate. I was so pissed!!!

I kept taking it in, and eventually went for a drive with the srv manager.

Just last week, they agreed that they could see inconsistencies from one side to the other, so they changed the right front shock/strut, AND IT'S PERFECT NOW!!!!! I'M SOOO HAPPY!!!!

BTW, to someone who hasn't experienced this, it sounded like my suspension was about t literally fall apart.
2015_1LE_soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #33
2015_1LE_soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Clearly you haven't driven real track cars before. The problem is a lack of rebound dampening that allows the shock to top-out violently. Hard enough that I often have to check if the windshield has cracked. Given where I live, this happens half a dozen times per day and makes it feel like the car is falling apart. This isn't about stiffness, or jarring, or even harshness over bumps. This is the front springs having little to no resistance in extending the shocks when they fall off a "ledge" of any kind and the topping-out forces working their way up through the shock to the mount.

The only person who treats that as, "it aint nothing, go put a tampon in" is a moron who's destined to leave this world shortly after yelling, "hey boys, watch this."
My 1le had the EXACT SAME ISSUE!!! I was going CRAZYYY. It's 100% the strut. I'm gonna show my server manager these thread because they thought I was crazy!!

In your case, it's a faulty strut. TAKE IT IN, AND KEEP PRESSING THE DEALER TO CHANGE IT. I can send you my work order to proove that I had the same issue, and now, it's 100% PERFECT.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:11 AM   #34
2015_1LE_soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsongtp View Post
Most of the roads around me are fairly smooth but there are a few places with a couple of decent bumps. Since I've had the car (sept of last year) I have hit 3 different bumps (imagine transition to bridge that is kinda sharp) and I get a huge bang from the front almost like suspension is bottoming out or something. Jars my ****ing teeth. Car is bone stock. Is this normal or wtf?
My friend - take it in. I went to the dealer (I'm not exaggerating) FIVE TIMES regarding this issue, and they kept dismissing it. They said that they could not duplicate. I wanted to burn the car because I love it so much, and I CRINGED every single time I hit a 'certain type' of bump. I had to take the service guy out to where I lived (About 20 minutes from the dealer) jsut to let him hear/feel the sound.

As soon as I heard him say that he can hear 'body flex', I knew that they now know that it's not just in my head.

They changed the strut, and I'm telling you guys it's 100% perfect now.

So, TAKE IT IN PLEASE! IT'S NOT NORMAL, NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE ELSE SAYS!
Old 07-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #35
2015_1LE_soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
Is there a bulletin or something regarding this? Mine does this, but only in very sudden transitions that cause the wheel to drop out from under the car quickly. I assumed it's just the limit of the shock travel and the upper shock cap is hitting the mount. I can tell because the rubber ring is leaving a telltale black mark on the shock tower.

It's done this since I've owned it and I generally just avoid the bumps I know will be an issue. If there's a warranty claim here, I definitely want it fixed, but I would like to know how to reliably get the dealership to address the issue
Your last statement resonates with me. I didn't want to take it to the dealer, and have them attack every deep pothole until my windshield shattered.

The best way to avoid this from happening is drive around the dealer until you hit a bump that causes the strut to make that popping sound or bottom-out feeling, and make note of where that is (right lane, left lane, etc...). Then press the service guys to come with you, so that they don't just go searching for something to break the car.

I'll send in a screenshot of my service order in case anyone thinks that it may help them get the work done.

Also, I told the dealer (before we went out for the drive) that I'll even pay to have the strut just changed out to check and see if that solves the problem. They chuckled, and we went on the drive. THey still tried to tell me that there's no issue, but SCREW THEM. They didn't pay for the car, and they get paid to fix problems, SO DON'T LET THE DEALER CONVINCE YOU THAT IT'S NORMAL. It's not normal, and GOD only knows the damage that our wheel bearings and ball joints etc are taking.

TAKE THE CAR IN, AND GET IT DONE!

I'm typing in capital letters on these posts because I'm so upset that this is not a recognized problem, especially when we've ordered a vehicle that is known for it's suspension.

Good luck, guys. DON'T TAKE 'There's no problem with the suspension, sir.' FOR AN ANSWER!
Old 07-12-2016, 11:55 AM   #36
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015_1LE_soon View Post
I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I'M READING! I though I was the only one. I took my car to dealer, they though I was nuts.... Dealer couldn't duplicate. I was so pissed!!!

I kept taking it in, and eventually went for a drive with the srv manager.

Just last week, they agreed that they could see inconsistencies from one side to the other, so they changed the right front shock/strut, AND IT'S PERFECT NOW!!!!! I'M SOOO HAPPY!!!!

BTW, to someone who hasn't experienced this, it sounded like my suspension was about t literally fall apart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
There is more rebound and compression in the 1LE than the SS. It is a much more aggressive damping map. The springs are the same, so this should not be a common issue.
Yep.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:08 PM   #37
Iroc Drew

Drives: 2015 1LE 2SS/RS CRT NPP AYZ NAV SUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015_1LE_soon View Post
My friend - take it in. I went to the dealer (I'm not exaggerating) FIVE TIMES regarding this issue, and they kept dismissing it. They said that they could not duplicate. I wanted to burn the car because I love it so much, and I CRINGED every single time I hit a 'certain type' of bump. I had to take the service guy out to where I lived (About 20 minutes from the dealer) jsut to let him hear/feel the sound.

As soon as I heard him say that he can hear 'body flex', I knew that they now know that it's not just in my head.

They changed the strut, and I'm telling you guys it's 100% perfect now.

So, TAKE IT IN PLEASE! IT'S NOT NORMAL, NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE ELSE SAYS!
[QUOTE=2015_1LE_soon;9200490]Your last statement resonates with me. I didn't want to take it to the dealer, and have them attack every deep pothole until my windshield shattered.

The best way to avoid this from happening is drive around the dealer until you hit a bump that causes the strut to make that popping sound or bottom-out feeling, and make note of where that is (right lane, left lane, etc...). Then press the service guys to come with you, so that they don't just go searching for something to break the car.

I'll send in a screenshot of my service order in case anyone thinks that it may help them get the work done.

Also, I told the dealer (before we went out for the drive) that I'll even pay to have the strut just changed out to check and see if that solves the problem. They chuckled, and we went on the drive. THey still tried to tell me that there's no issue, but SCREW THEM. They didn't pay for the car, and they get paid to fix problems, SO DON'T LET THE DEALER CONVINCE YOU THAT IT'S NORMAL. It's not normal, and GOD only knows the damage that our wheel bearings and ball joints etc are taking.

TAKE THE CAR IN, AND GET IT DONE!

I'm typing in capital letters on these posts because I'm so upset that this is not a recognized problem, especially when we've ordered a vehicle that is known for it's suspension.

Good luck, guys. DON'T TAKE 'There's no problem with the suspension, sir.' FOR AN ANSWER![/

Can you send me a screen shot of the service order? Thanks.

1989 IROC Z L98.
2015 Silverado LT.
2015 2SS 1LE.
Iroc Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #38
FloridaBill

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
I get the same thing if I hit a speed bump the wrong way... Sounds like the world is coming to an end.
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #39
Scotty D2014

Drives: 2014 SS1-1le Crystal red metallic
I have the same thing happening !!! It drives me crazy! So much that when I do drop springs next month.. I'm also changing out the front struts !!!
Scotty D2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #40
JusticePete

Be careful with sounds. Not everyone in this thread has a bad strut. I have lost count of how many 5th Gen suspensions I have had apart and seen two, three bad struts at the most.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #41
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
I've had this happen (mostly at highway speeds) and I just assumed it was caused by the type of bump. I've also noticed that over time, the nose of my car now stoops more under hard braking than when the car was newer. but it does still handle well.

Isn't there another way other than hitting a particular bump and listening for the sound to identify a bad strut on our car? It's not like there is much travel to push down and let go and see if it bounces like on older cars...
Old 07-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #42
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
I've had this happen (mostly at highway speeds) and I just assumed it was caused by the type of bump. I've also noticed that over time, the nose of my car now stoops more under hard braking than when the car was newer. but it does still handle well.

Isn't there another way other than hitting a particular bump and listening for the sound to identify a bad strut on our car? It's not like there is much travel to push down and let go and see if it bounces like on older cars...
Take it apart and see if it grows after it is compressed and how fast.