The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > New Member Introductions

Old 01-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #29
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Welcome to the site - very helpful folks here!

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #30
RedJewelrsss32

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel Camaro
Enjoy the forum. Owned a 03 SVT was a fun car Miss that car
Old 01-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #31
brooks35

Drives: 57Chevy TrailblazerSS 73Camaro
I spoke to GM "person" at my dealership and he stated what they do is, when a Camaro comes in for warranty work GM wants them to do a download of the Camaro's computer. That gets sent to GM and they have a "Virtual Dashboard" that uploads all the computer information. If a tune has been done the warranty is void. He said that there is no way to hide a tune in this new system. Even if it was tuned and placed back to stock it leaves some type of evidence.
brooks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #32
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks35 View Post
I spoke to GM "person" at my dealership and he stated what they do is, when a Camaro comes in for warranty work GM wants them to do a download of the Camaro's computer. That gets sent to GM and they have a "Virtual Dashboard" that uploads all the computer information. If a tune has been done the warranty is void. He said that there is no way to hide a tune in this new system. Even if it was tuned and placed back to stock it leaves some type of evidence.
God I get tired of hearing that statement "the warranty is void"! The whole warranty is NOT void for a tune. Only a part that can be proved to have been DIRECTLY effected by the modification... whatever the mod was! If you change tires, they are not OEM, it does not void your brake warranty because the tires won't cause a brake failure. Now, if you put on cheap tires and go out and roast them and wrap one around the caliper and damage it then, yes, it voids the warranty on the caliper only! It's only void on the part that was, once again I'll put it in bold letters, DIRECTLY effected by the mod!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #33
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Diablo View Post
wow I'm amazed at the fast and positive response here.

Well he was very concerned about keeping his warranty safe. He babies the car. His car was there having a cat back put in. They talked him into coming back for a cold air and a tune. He was only worried about if it could void his warranty. They told him that if the car has to go in for warranty work to bring it back and they'll put the stock tune back on and the dealer will never know. Which I believe to be bs, as I am almost positive the camaros have a reflash memory. Fast forward, the car gets tuned and the tuner tells him since the car only has 900 miles that he can't get all the power out of the tune, and to come back for a retune once some more miles are on the car. Also the guy trades out wheel horse for crank at random when talking numbers, he had my uncle convinced he would be making 480-490 wheel horse with full exhaust and another tune.
If the dealer installs any mods from Chevy, they are covered by the warrantee. If you install any mods yourself, if they can prove that the mod caused an issue, they wont cover the repair under warrantee.

If you install a aftermarket suspension system, that would only affect warrantee on the suspension itself. It wouldn't affect anything on the drivetrain (for example).
Old 01-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #34
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
wow I'm amazed at the fast and positive response here.

Well he was very concerned about keeping his warranty safe. He babies the car. His car was there having a cat back put in. They talked him into coming back for a cold air and a tune. He was only worried about if it could void his warranty. They told him that if the car has to go in for warranty work to bring it back and they'll put the stock tune back on and the dealer will never know. Which I believe to be bs, as I am almost positive the camaros have a reflash memory. Fast forward, the car gets tuned and the tuner tells him since the car only has 900 miles that he can't get all the power out of the tune, and to come back for a retune once some more miles are on the car. Also the guy trades out wheel horse for crank at random when talking numbers, he had my uncle convinced he would be making 480-490 wheel horse with full exhaust and another tune.
480 rwhp is going to take more than fully exhaust and another tune...I'll vouch for that (see sig). If he has drivetrain issues, any warranty claims are going to be difficult at best.

The quality of second hand info leaves a bit to be desired...head to the shop with your uncle next time and get it straight from the horses mouth....we'll help you interpret appropriately before making any legitimate recommendations to find another shop...
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #35
El-Diablo

Drives: CTS-V
Wow, lots of feedback. And yes I was never there, making this somewhat hersay. I wish I was so I could be sure of the exact conversations that took place. Thanks for all the information. Some replied about going back for a retune, I understand that. Here is my problem with his first tune he got. I know stock LS3's tend to dyno around 365. The tuner did not do a base run to get stock numbers or a pre tune run. My uncles camaro, after the catback (which I know probably does almost nothing) rotofab cold air, and the custom tune only put down high 360's. This on a dyno jet, at low elevation, in the winter. If this was on a mustang dyno I'd say thats good, but this car should be over 380 on a dyno jet in my opinion.
El-Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #36
HaZe_X

Drives: Trailblazer SS & Camaro SS
Can I ask what tuner? PM me if you have to.
HaZe_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #37
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauwulf View Post
God I get tired of hearing that statement "the warranty is void"! The whole warranty is NOT void for a tune. Only a part that can be proved to have been DIRECTLY effected by the modification... whatever the mod was! If you change tires, they are not OEM, it does not void your brake warranty because the tires won't cause a brake failure. Now, if you put on cheap tires and go out and roast them and wrap one around the caliper and damage it then, yes, it voids the warranty on the caliper only! It's only void on the part that was, once again I'll put it in bold letters, DIRECTLY effected by the mod!
I think you assume that when everyone mentions the Warranty is void they are refering to the entire warranty.. BUT it has been established many many times that only the part of the warranty that is affected is the part that has had the modification. I don't think we need to keep harping on this fact any more...
So for now on can we just ASSUME when someone is saying the warranty is void they are only talking about the part of the warranty that the concerns that Mod? I think 90% of us already know it...
Old 01-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #38
MacTruck

Drives: Camaro RS
I had an 05' SVT Cobra. Worst car I ever owned, but welcome to Camaro5!
MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #39
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Wow, lots of feedback. And yes I was never there, making this somewhat hersay. I wish I was so I could be sure of the exact conversations that took place. Thanks for all the information. Some replied about going back for a retune, I understand that. Here is my problem with his first tune he got. I know stock LS3's tend to dyno around 365. The tuner did not do a base run to get stock numbers or a pre tune run. My uncles camaro, after the catback (which I know probably does almost nothing) rotofab cold air, and the custom tune only put down high 360's. This on a dyno jet, at low elevation, in the winter. If this was on a mustang dyno I'd say thats good, but this car should be over 380 on a dyno jet in my opinion.
You did say his Camaro has less than 1k miles right... it should open up a bit in the next 2k miles. Mine just hit 1k and I am definately starting to notice it. The next 2k miles should be an eye opener.

From multiple sources I've heard that catback will add nothing to your HP (but it will sound 100% better), and the CAI will add approx. 10 HP (max). The tune itself can add a little or a lot depending on who, what, and how. You may get to 380 once his car is fully broken in.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #40
El-Diablo

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTruck View Post
I had an 05' SVT Cobra. Worst car I ever owned, but welcome to Camaro5!
They didn't make cobras in 05
El-Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #41
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
Best thing to do is buy a PCM that already has a tune & keep the factory PCM. Replace it when you take it to your dealer. There's a company on here that does that...good luck searching, I remember reading that a few months ago.

**I am aware that he already has a tune, I'm just letting you know what (in my opinion) is the best thing to do.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #42
brooks35

Drives: 57Chevy TrailblazerSS 73Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
I think you assume that when everyone mentions the Warranty is void they are refering to the entire warranty.. BUT it has been established many many times that only the part of the warranty that is affected is the part that has had the modification. I don't think we need to keep harping on this fact any more...
So for now on can we just ASSUME when someone is saying the warranty is void they are only talking about the part of the warranty that the concerns that Mod? I think 90% of us already know it...
Exactly Skyman 08....didn't think I needed to explain that to keep from getting such a defensive response.
And IMO.....99% of the time you will take your car in for service, don't you think it will be drivtrain related???? Thus Tune= problems.
brooks35 is offline   Reply With Quote