The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > New Member Introductions

Old 01-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
ATX_SS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS L99 Vert
New to the Board - First Post

Greetings Ladies and Gents!

I never thought I'd be here under these circumstances (read below), but I'm here!

Just got my 2013 SS L99 Vert yesterday (see pic). I have had a mixed bag of vehicles, fox body Stangs, 300zx Turbo, and an 05 C6 Vette. Daily driving an 03 Civic and the Camaro is for good weather days. I always wanted a 4th Gen SS but hey maybe one day.

The 5th Gen Camaro never really appealed to me and my personal taste but has grown on me over the years. I was actually going to get a 1st gen CTS-V but the sale didn't work out. This one caught my eye and I drove her home yesterday. Of course I wanted a 6 spd but the 6spd verts seem hard to come by and being a vert was the major selling point for me. Price was a big factor. Also the girlfriend can drive this one, not that she couldn't learn stick!

I'm getting knocked a little for getting the "slower" L99 and a heavier convertible but I'm not looking for a speed freak but more of a nice weekend cruiser that has some get up and go. This one hits the spot!

Got some springs coming in and will maybe do a CAI, muffler delete and tune. Maybe black her out with lights, wheels, etc. down the road. Enjoying her as she is now though.

Making this post too long but just excited to be here! I look forward to the fun times ahead!
Attached Images

Last edited by ATX_SS; 01-29-2018 at 05:44 PM. Reason: corrected spelling from caught "by" eye to caught "my" eye
ATX_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Welcome!

Ignore the noise from naysayers. The way I see it, until they're willing to cough up cash to pay your car payment, they can go F themselves IMO.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Welcome! Also, don’t let anybody fool you, stock vs stock an automatic is actually faster than a manual 5th gen. Enjoy your new ride.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
c0r3yr0s3

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Welcome! Also, don’t let anybody fool you, stock vs stock an automatic is actually faster than a manual 5th gen. Enjoy your new ride.
I figured that's why gm had to give a few more horsies to the manual
c0r3yr0s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:27 PM   #6
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
Yea, who said it was slower? Until they out run you in the manual they dont get to say anything.

Welcome to the forum, have fun with that thing!
Old 01-29-2018, 03:47 PM   #7
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Very nice - is that black or blue ray? No shame in choosing the auto, it suits the 5th gen verts personality well IMO and having the paddle shifters lets you have a bit of fun with it when you want. Now if I had the ZL1 vert I'd definitely want the stick!
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #8
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
the L99 has plenty of power to keep you well above the Speed Limit. Enjoy it. I have had mine since Dec '09 and have loved it.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX_SS View Post
Greetings Ladies and Gents!
I always wanted a 4th Gen SS but hey maybe one day.

I'm getting knocked a little for getting the "slower" L99 and a heavier convertible but I'm not looking for a speed freak but more of a nice weekend cruiser that has some get up and go. This one hits the spot!
No, not so much for the 4th gens. Their lack of low end torque ruined the sale when I test drove a new one. Yeah yeah they could be built up, but so could your civic

Your car looks good and you wanted a convertible, I'm guessing it fits comfortably in your budget so enjoy it

I don't see people with high hp cars on here (some are over 1300 rear wheel hp) criticize other's cars. Even the v6 cars. The only time that starts is when a 6'er starts up with exaggerated claims and bench racing fantasy. So if someone without a nice car questions your choice, whatever
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #10
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
welcome

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:23 PM   #11
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
the L99 has plenty of power to keep you well above the Speed Limit.
So does my 323 hp V6 - it's electronically governed at 155 mph since it came with the 20" wheels and supposedly MotorTrend got their V6 up to 157 before the governor actually kicked in! It's actually much faster than my old '97 Z28 vert which would only go about 115 mph before the governor kicked in because it had the regular non Z rated tire package :( I remember being really pissed at my salesman back then for not pointing out the importance of getting the upgraded tire option. I think the Z28's with the Z rated tire package were also governed at 155 back then but I'm not sure.

Last edited by GatorGreg; 01-29-2018 at 04:33 PM.
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:40 PM   #12
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Weird, I would have guessed the other way around since there are over twice as many manuals on the fast list cracking into the 12's as there are auto's (and a LOT more trapping 110+ on the manual). And the "hero" time for each favors the LS3 by a couple tenths

Here's the links to each:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...EVI/edit#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ams/edit#gid=0

But to OP, Welcome! And there will always be someone faster no matter what you do. Best to tune out the naysayers and enjoy what you have! That's a good lookin vert!
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #13
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post
Weird, I would have guessed the other way around since there are over twice as many manuals on the fast list cracking into the 12's as there are auto's (and a LOT more trapping 110+ on the manual). And the "hero" time for each favors the LS3 by a couple tenths

Here's the links to each:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...EVI/edit#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ams/edit#gid=0

But to OP, Welcome! And there will always be someone faster no matter what you do. Best to tune out the naysayers and enjoy what you have! That's a good lookin vert!
That fast list has some serious drivers on it. Joe average wont be getting those times. And once the bolt ons start the l99 really comes to life.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:15 PM   #14
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The L99 has a flatter torque curve, due to VVT, and therefore has more HP below 4,000 rpm.

Plus autos out-shift manuals on the drag strip, and are less likely to break your axle.

Your car looks sharp, too!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote