Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Sean_W

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
First car show(s) for my Camaro this weekend. Advise?

Hello,

I finally have a chance to show her off in a car show setting this weekend. Just looking for any pointers that might help out. The biggest question I've been ponding is do I leave the door open and let people sit in it? Is it normal to do this, or would I be better to leave the door closed with the window down. What about leaving the door open, but have a string tied in front of the seat to avoid sitters? Just not sure.

Is there anything else that can come up during a show that I may not know about? I'll take any suggestions or comments you might have.

2SS/RS Inferno Orange Metalic & Cyber Grey Stripes

My Homepage
http://titanic-model.com
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
chain/rope off around the car, leaving windows down, hood/trunk open for on-lookers..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Most people will not sit in cars at shows unless they ask the owner first. This isn't a car dealership.

From experiences with my '56 Chevy, leave the windows down and the doors closed. If you want to prop the door open, then use something like a metal rod that is firmly attached. This will work better than a string and will keep the door from being closed by a passer-by. If you don't mind people sitting in your car, stay nearby and offer to let only the really interested people sit in it.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
nope, do not let anyone sit in it, leave the doors closed. Car shows do not usually have people sitting in the owners' cars. Put a sign on it that says "please do not touch or I will kill you", well at least "please do not touch". Yes, windows down, hood (and trunk optional) open.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
chain/rope off around the car, leaving windows down, hood/trunk open for on-lookers..
If you go this route, make sure you leave enough space around the vehicle for the poles to fall over without hitting the car. I watched a careless person at a show once as he wasn't paying attention and tripped. For support, he grabbed a nearby pole that was holding up a rope around a really nice '32 Ford. Pole tipped over and both he and the pole slammed into the fender. I've never seen a car owner get so pissed so quick in my life. Felt kind of bad for the guy that tripped but it was going to cost quite a bit to fix the fender and paint on the Ford....
Old 07-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
Yea, do not let anyone sit in your car. Speaking on experience, you don't know what people have in their pockets. I've seen a dude sit in a ferrari who had his keys in his back pants pockets. He sat in it, the keys went through his jeans and punctured the ferrari leather

Just don't take that chance, b/c I doubt they would be interested in paying for a new seat.
Treadstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Doors closed, windows open, hood open. Don't use ropes around the car. Don't let just anyone sit in it. When you get there, just follow suit with what the other owners are doing.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
Don't let other sit in it. They could have their keys in their pant pockets, sit in it and puncture your leather. I've seen it. And I doubt they have the $$ or are willing to pay for the new seat.

I wouldn't fence it off, it's just a Camaro. It's not like an unveiling or anything. Just wash and wax your car, and get a chair and a drink and chill sitting next to it.

Tell us how it turns out.
Treadstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
oldag92

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS - SIM
I'm putting mine in its first show this weekend as well. Any thoughts on how to "dress up" the engine compartment (I have a 2LT/RS) temporarily for this show? I want to get my engine cover painted, and add a fusebox cover, etc later, but no time to get all that stuff by Saturday.
oldag92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
fencing it off would be over the top. Just leave windows down and doors closed. if you want put a sign somewhere saying please dont touch. most people that goes to these are pretty good, but you will still have some kids and that guy that are jacks. if you leave lock doors and close windows. I would bring a rag and detailer for that guy that decides to touch it
Old 07-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I personally wouldn't leave my doors open. You'll have every teenager/small kid with sticky hands and a coke trying to sit in your car when you aren't looking. Even with the door shut and windows down you take a chance and having some kid try to sit in it. I've actually witnessed someone sitting in my friends car at a large indoor car show (Dallas Autorama). Grant it he didn't have it roped off but still you would think people would be smart enough to know it's not a dealership and you shouldn't just open up a car and sit in it.

I'm assuming this is probably a local outdoor car show at some Sonic or something. In that case most people don't rope off their cars (not to say that you can't). I would plan on bringing a couple of chairs and parking your butt in front of your car so you can keep and eye on it and keep peoples sticky hands off. You'll probaby be there talking to people all night anyway. Then you'll be able to make the decision if you feel like the person you are talking to is competent enough to sit in it. Just remember, if someone scratches it or hurts it you'll probably have to pay for the damage yourself. Also, if you let one person sit in it you'll probaby have to let multiple people sit in it.

I would bring a couple chairs, a baseball bat, and a trunk monkey.
For the average person it's "Look but don't touch".
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
RAdams
Car Guy

Drives: '08 Mustang GT, '01 Isuzu VehiCROSS
Rule #1 at Car Shows: Look with your eyes, not with your hands!

Keep it locked.
RAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #13
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
I know there are people that always want you to "pop the hood" but honestly, this drives me nuts. Maybe because I'm not really a "car guy" or something, I dunno, but staring at an engine just doesn't do anything for me. I hate when cars are just sitting there with the hood open, because you can't see the car as a whole. I like to absorb the beauty of the exterior. Opening the hood, IMO, takes away from the completeness and the clean, stylish look of the car. But I guess that's why I've never been too into car shows
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Rope around the car is overkill and will get you more unpleasant looks that anything. It is just a Camaro after-all, no offense. Bring a few micro-fiber wipes, quick detailer, armor all, etc. In warm weather, wear a hat or bring an umbrella. Bring a folding chair, plenty of water, snack, etc.

I go to a lot of car shows. I never leave the doors or trunk open and I don't leave my car unattended at any time! Too many ignorant people out there.

One thing you do not want to do is leave the car unattended. You do want to put several signs that say "PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH". If this is a car enthusiasts car show, most people there know the un-written rules and will respect and watch out for your car. Otherwise, pay specially alert when kids are around, some will come running up to your car! Kids are kids. Some will touch, lean, poke at their reflection on the car, etc. Some parents are no better since they don't understand the "car" and "pride and joy" stuff we have in us.

If there are tourist type people, pay close attention to them. They think it is ok to touch, lean, sit in the car while posing for a picture.

Have fun! Don't let anyone's negative remarks or opinions upset you. Trust me, there will be at least a couple of morons who will say or whisper something stupid about your car, GM, Chevy, etc. On the flip-side, don't act a fool or aloof either. Smile and be ready to answer questions, and thank people for asking them etc. Don't expect to win. If you win something, great. Go to have fun, show your car, meet people and fellow car guys.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote