Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-21-2023, 05:11 PM   #15
carlythecamaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily1LE View Post
Just to make sure you're aware, you have to modify a few things on the LT2 to make it work. There's places that sell the intakes pre-modified if you're not sure what to do.

Also, def would consider flex fuel kit at the same time. I did flex fuel a few years back and now recently got an LT2 manifold. Now I gotta pay again for another tune after I get that installed. Holding off for now debating what else I want to throw on the car.

If you want a visual of what E85 can do, attached is my dyno graph. Green is CAI only, red is CAI and full exhaust, and blue is CAI, full exhaust, and E85. As you can see E85 had big gains everywhere.
im looking to get the LT2, a throttle body & flex fuel kit, im curious to see what the car will pull with my K&N cold air intake and long tube headers that are already into the car.
carlythecamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 05:52 PM   #16
driftking123

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlythecamaro View Post
Modify the intake how? And I will consider using those options for sure. If I got the intake, TB & the adaptor what else would I need?
Look up Phastek on Youtube. They have a great how-to video on modding the LT2. Also check out this link for the LT2. You will need a few tools, 23/32 drill 1/2 14 tap. The brass fitting from GPI and their harness or Phastek sells a harness and port fitting also. But on Phastek, you have to cut your stock tubing. Watch the videos and you will understand. Look at the links on the attached YT video. He provides great resources. And if you are going 95mm with an adaptor, you don't need anything else to fit that to the LT2. I would not port the LT2 anywhere as you only gain a few hp's. And the hassle of doing it yourself could get ruin the intake. But do what you want.

driftking123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 05:59 PM   #17
carlythecamaro

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftking123 View Post
Look up Phastek on Youtube. They have a great how-to video on modding the LT2. Also check out this link for the LT2. You will need a few tools, 23/32 drill 1/2 14 tap. The brass fitting from GPI and their harness or Phastek sells a harness and port fitting also. But on Phastek, you have to cut your stock tubing. Watch the videos and you will understand. Look at the links on the attached YT video. He provides great resources. And if you are going 95mm with an adaptor, you don't need anything else to fit that to the LT2. I would not port the LT2 anywhere as you only gain a few hp's. And the hassle of doing it yourself could get ruin the intake. But do what you want.

so are you saying you wouldn't recommend the LT2 at all if I'm planning on getting a TB and flex fuel kit?
Old 09-22-2023, 10:38 AM   #18
driftking123

Quote:
so are you saying you wouldn't recommend the LT2 at all if I'm planning on getting a TB and flex fuel kit?
No, that's not what I meant. I guess you misunderstood me. The LT2 can be ported at the neck and the runners to the heads. But with that porting you are only getting a few hp and torque numbers. The porting however can be $300/400 or more. I don't think that amount is worth the 5 horses and 6 torque numbers you gain from porting. I'm going LT2 (not ported), a 95mm with adapter in a couple months, hopefully get it for Christmas . I currently have a ported stock TB. I am also adding flex fuel when I put in the LT2 next week. I have Trifecta who will calibrate the flex and the LT2.

So I DO recommend the LT2. I also recommend doing the work yourself. For 250 I can buy the LT2 and complete the modding or you can get one from GPI for 700 who will do the modding for you and that's with NO porting. You add porting and it adds 300.
Old 09-22-2023, 01:03 PM   #19
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Modify the intake how? And I will consider using those options for sure. If I got the intake, TB & the adaptor what else would I need?
The LT2 intake needs to be slightly modified to fit our LT1 powered cars. If you order one from gwatney performance for a little more money, they will send it modified and ready to bolt onto our cars. You also need a map sensor extension harness which can also be ordered from gwatney when you order your LT2 intake.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 02:44 PM   #20
carlythecamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
The LT2 intake needs to be slightly modified to fit our LT1 powered cars. If you order one from gwatney performance for a little more money, they will send it modified and ready to bolt onto our cars. You also need a map sensor extension harness which can also be ordered from gwatney when you order your LT2 intake.
so basically I will be able to complete everything I need from this link?

https://gwatneyperformance.com/produ...old-126977114/
Old 09-22-2023, 03:48 PM   #21
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:

Correct. You would choose the 74.95 manifold modification option and the 39.95 map extension harness. I didn’t check what throttle body you’re using but it looks like they sell adapter plates in that link if you are using a different throttle body versus stock. I personally would skip the porting.

You “may” also need some extra rubber line. I never went through with my install of the manifold (just sitting in my garage) but I remember reading you may need some 3/8 rubber line to connect to I believe the pcv. I could be wrong about this and I wouldn’t worry too much about it. You can literally go to any auto parts store to get some 3/8 rubber line if you wind up needing it. You can buy a longer line than you need and cut it with a knife. I bought 3 feet because it’s the smallest Amazon had at the time. Probably only need 6 inches max.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 09:51 PM   #22
carlythecamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Correct. You would choose the 74.95 manifold modification option and the 39.95 map extension harness. I didn’t check what throttle body you’re using but it looks like they sell adapter plates in that link if you are using a different throttle body versus stock. I personally would skip the porting.

You “may” also need some extra rubber line. I never went through with my install of the manifold (just sitting in my garage) but I remember reading you may need some 3/8 rubber line to connect to I believe the pcv. I could be wrong about this and I wouldn’t worry too much about it. You can literally go to any auto parts store to get some 3/8 rubber line if you wind up needing it. You can buy a longer line than you need and cut it with a knife. I bought 3 feet because it’s the smallest Amazon had at the time. Probably only need 6 inches max.
would you recommend using the stock throttle body? I pm'd you btw
Old 09-22-2023, 10:59 PM   #23
Daily1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
im looking to get the LT2, a throttle body & flex fuel kit, im curious to see what the car will pull with my K&N cold air intake and long tube headers that are already into the car.
From the research I've done it seems it all depends on other mods. A stock car will not benefit as much from an aftermarket TB like one with a cam or a blower would.

Also, you can do a before and after dyno, same as I did. My shop charged me like ~$60 for a before dyno, it wasn't much.
Old 09-22-2023, 11:22 PM   #24
driftking123

Quote:

The main reason I am buying the LT2 from Rockauto for 187 and doing the modifications myself is GPI is on a 6-7 week lead time on their LT2 with the modifications. I didn't want to wait that long. If you do, more power to you. I forgot to put that info in on my last message.

Good luck with upgrades.
Old 09-23-2023, 02:48 AM   #25
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Has anyone tried spacers between intake and heads? seems like 1/4" would be more than enough. You also get more runner lenght.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intake manifold, throttle body