The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-28-2022, 09:31 AM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
GM Reveals 2023 Chevrolet Colorado

The All-New 2023 Chevrolet Colorado Takes Midsize Trucks to the Next Level
General Motors

July 28, 2022

• Enhanced performance with three off-road models — including the first-ever Trail Boss and an even more capable ZR2 — built on three specific chassis setups
  • Four distinct interior trims, featuring a standard class-leading 11.3-inch-diagonal color infotainment1 touchscreen
  • A 2.7L turbo engine, proven in the Silverado, offers three available output variants scaled for Colorado
  • More cargo bed functionality than previous model years with all-new features, including first-in-segment available tailgate storage system, a mid-position tailgate and available 110V power outlet

DETROIT – Chevrolet today introduced the all-new 2023 Colorado offering customers greater performance, capability and customization, plus a refreshed exterior and interior design.

“The all-new Colorado is enhanced in every way,” said Scott Bell, global vice president of Chevrolet. “With its rugged and sporty styling, enhanced capability, new technology and customization options, it’s designed to do more for discerning customers and still offer them great value.”

Designers and engineers focused on three key categories to take the Colorado to the next level: elevated design, enhanced performance and new and useful technology. Each category weaves into a streamlined lineup built around a single wheelbase and single cab configuration to create a unified Colorado pickup family.

The 2023 Colorado lineup includes Work Truck (WT), LT, Z71, ZR2 and first-ever Trail Boss models. The lineup features three distinctive chassis stances to optimize each model’s capabilities. Together, they compose a more diverse range of choices tailored to the distinctive ways customers use their trucks for work and recreational activities, including off-roading.

All-NEW DESIGN

Along with new exterior styling and proportions, the 2023 Colorado introduces an all-new interior that blends refinement and functionality with work-ready durability and comfort. Across the 2023 Colorado lineup, there are now four unique interior trims choices for customers.

The class-leading, standard 11.3-inch-diagonal color infotainment1 touchscreen is the centerpiece of the cabin and is accompanied by a segment-first standard 8-inch-diagonal fully digital color instrument display, both of which are customizable. The four distinct new interior options feature sporty round outboard vents, wrapped and stitched knee pads on the doors and center console for select models, and more adventurous contrast stitching on select models.

“We set out to design the Colorado as a tough, muscular and capable midsize truck, which we think especially came through in the wide ZR2 trim with the aggressive grille shield.” said Phil Zak, executive design director. “Across all trims, the exterior’s presence and attitude is reflected in the interior, which is designed around the large center stack screen.”

Leaning into the success from the current generation, the 2023 Colorado has a significant number of on- and off-road accessories available for any trim. In an effort to allow each customer to build their off-road dream truck, the off-road accessory portfolio has more than doubled from previous model years.

POWERFUL, NEW 2.7L TURBO ENGINE

A 2.7L Turbo engine, proven in the full-size Silverado, is new for Colorado and powers all five models with three distinct output variants that exceed the output of the current model.

The engine receives several enhancements in the 2023 model year to help optimize performance and refinement. They include a more rigid cylinder block casting and a 30% stiffer crankshaft, which complement a fully forged bottom end as well as materials used in diesel engines to deliver the durability customers expect.

This single advanced engine delivers more horsepower and torque than the previous three engines offered. The new base 2.7L Turbo engine, for example, offers 18% more horsepower and 36% more torque than the current Colorado’s base engine. In addition, the higher-output versions of the 2.7L engine line up produce more horsepower and torque than the current model’s available 3.6L V-6 and 2.8L turbo-diesel engines.

A second-generation eight-speed automatic transmission complements the new engine, with refinements designed to offer smoother shifting and quicker downshifts, for a feeling of greater comfort and power on demand. It also excels in low-speed mobility, particularly in off-road scenarios.

ENCHANCED PERFORMANCE

The 2023 Colorado lineup arrives re-engineered with three distinct chassis setups to support everyday tasks and off-road adventures, without sacrificing off-road capability, or on-road comfort:
  • Standard: WT, LT and Z71 trims
  • 2-inch Factory-Lifted, Ultra-Wide Stance: Trail Boss
  • High-Performance 3-inch Factory-Installed Lift & Wide Stance: ZR2

“The new Colorado is a lifestyle enabler,” said Nicholas Katcherian, vehicle chief engineer. “Because outdoor activities are a big part of our Colorado customers’ lifestyles, we’ve made the truck even more capable to support them — from increased bed functionality to comprehensive performance enhancements that help take them farther.”

All models are built on a new chassis that gives the 2023 Colorado a 3.1-inch-longer wheelbase than the current Crew Cab/short box model. A shortened front overhang that contributes to a more aggressive stance also significantly improves the truck’s approach angle.

The Trail Boss features a 2-inch lifted suspension and wide chassis that produce more ground clearance and a 3-inch wider front track than WT and LT for enhanced off-road driving capability. ZR2 is the most capable of them all, with a high-performance 3-inch lifted suspension and upgraded Multimatic DSSV dampers.

The increased clearances enable customers to tackle more challenging terrain. With the increased approach angle, for example, the Colorado can climb more vertical terrain than before, without suspension or bodywork interference.

SELECTABLE DRIVE MODES

To support the new Colorado’s increased off-road and trailering capabilities, up to five selectable drive modes, depending on the model, are offered. Each is tailored for different driving conditions, and they are accessible using a knob located on the center console, to the left of the gear selector. The five drive modes include:
  • Normal: A balanced mode for everyday on-road driving
  • Tow/Haul: Transmission shift points, throttle response and additional calibrations optimized for trailering and hauling
  • Off-Road: Specific tractive and other dynamic performance features designed for general off-pavement driving
  • Terrain: Designed for low-speed rock crawling, with specific throttle control, brake performance and other calibrations, with three settings
  • Baja: Developed for high-speed desert running, with specific throttle control, transmission shifting and other body/drivetrain control calibrations.

Enhanced Driver Awareness Technologies

Colorado’s technologies also include an enhanced roster of safety and driver awareness features. The standard Chevy Safety Assist2 package includes Forward Collision Alert, Automatic Emergency Braking, Front Pedestrian Braking, Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning, Following Distance Indicator and IntelliBeam® automatic high-beam assist.

Available features for all models include Blind Zone Steering Assist2, Rear Cross Traffic Braking2, Adaptive Cruise Control2, HD Surround Vision and Rear Pedestrian Alert2.

New and Enhanced Technologies

Colorado’s new 11.3-inch-diagonal infotainment screen is the gateway to new and innovative technologies designed to make the driving experience more enjoyable and more intuitive — especially when trailering or driving off-road. Highlights include:
  • Customizable and configurable screens with higher resolution than previous models
  • Segment-first available Google Built-In2 for accessing maps, music, vehicle functions and more
  • All-new Off-Road Performance Display: an available app that helps drivers monitor their real-time off-road performance with different readouts for Overlanding (altitude and GPS guidance), Terrain (pitch, roll and tire pressure) and Baja (g-force, wheel slip indicator and transfer case status) driving situations
  • More camera views than any competitor in its class, with up to 10 camera views2 accessible on the infotainment screen — including a segment-first available underbody camera on Z71 and ZR2.

Colorado’s camera technologies are also integral in a suite of trailering technologies4 pioneered on the Silverado. Hitch Guidance2 is now standard, while Hitch View2 and Chevy’s Trailering App5 are new in 2023. Hitch Guidance features a guideline to help line up the trailer and hitch, and Hitch View provides a zoomed-in view of hitch to help with alignment with the coupler.

The Trailering App is designed to help drivers with all stages of trailering, from hitching to on-road assistance and even responding to potential hazards. The features are accessible from the built-in infotainment app or through a smartphone.

Coming in Early 2023

Production for the 2023 Chevrolet Colorado begins in the first half of 2023 at General Motors’ Wentzville, Missouri, assembly facility. Pricing and additional details will be released closer to the start of production.

Last edited by FenwickHockey65; 07-28-2022 at 11:56 AM.
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:53 AM   #2
FenwickHockey65

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v.../2023-colorado

Consumer site live
Old 07-28-2022, 09:54 AM   #3
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Not bad overall. No 10 speed auto is confusing. Why bother keeping the problematic 8 speed around?

The Trail Boss should have been on 33 all terrains, with skid plates and sliders.

I don’t get the aluminum skids on the ZR2.
Old 07-28-2022, 09:57 AM   #4
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Crew cab only with 5'2" bed, obviously the highest selling option but I'm wondering if the lack of an extended cab and the loss of the 6'2" bed option, in either, will alienate a notable amount of potential buyers.

The single drivetrain but in different levels of output is a unique touch. Simplifies manufacturing and cuts build time, I'm sure.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:01 AM   #5
FenwickHockey65

Welp my Envoy's for sale if anyone wants her.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:02 AM   #6
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
I think they nailed the styling. Hope it sells well. Z71 is the best looking outside of the ZR2 in my opinion.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:08 AM   #7
Bhobbs

I have a 2018 Z71 with a lift and 33 K02s. I might trade it in on a Trail Boss, depending on what the lift is. I hope it’s not just a spacer kit.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:36 AM   #8
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Not bad overall. No 10 speed auto is confusing. Why bother keeping the problematic 8 speed around?

The Trail Boss should have been on 33 all terrains, with skid plates and sliders.

I don’t get the aluminum skids on the ZR2.
Yeah, it's not what I expected. I assumed we'd see the 10 speed go into everything that's a sports car or a truck. That said...

"Second generation" 8 speed it says. I like the 8 speed a lot...when it's not having TC issues or the occasional hard shift early on.

If those are fixed...then I'm perfectly happy.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:38 AM   #9
FenwickHockey65

The 8 speed in my Colorado has been flawless thus far.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:41 AM   #10
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Good stuff on the consumer site here: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v.../2023-colorado

Some good B-roll video here:

Last edited by KMPrenger; 07-28-2022 at 11:07 AM.
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:42 AM   #11
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
The 8 speed in my Colorado has been flawless thus far.
I had to get mine flushed at around 50,000 miles. It was shuddering and clunking.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:52 AM   #12
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I had to get mine flushed at around 50,000 miles. It was shuddering and clunking.

What year?
Old 07-28-2022, 10:57 AM   #13
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
The styling is dead on for the most part. Love it. Huge interior updates sorely needed to remain competitive. I think they've accomplished that. The powertrain belongs in this truck (yes i'd rather have a V8 but it's not happening).

I'm also concerned about the 8spd. Mine had some minor shutter very early but it seems to be resolved after the TSB fluid change I had to specifically ask the dealer to do under warranty. It's probably ok, but now the longevity piece will always be in the back of my mind.

I do see cost cutting as expected. Rear windows appear to be exactly the same. Roof antenna, give us the shark fin already to lower the profile, and rear window (I wonder if it's power sliding now?) are also identical.

It's a good effort. I don't know if it's a great effort.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote