Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-09-2021, 10:07 AM   #1
LINYSS

Drives: 2010 SS
Anyone regret getting new cam?

Anyone regret getting a new cam, next thing I'm doing to my car, just curious
LINYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #2
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
This is probably a really good question. But based on being around here for a while and knowing people on the planet even longer, you’re probably going to get few negative answers. From what I gleaned here, there is only one way to do a cam job. THE RIGHT WAY.

I think if you do get some honest, negative feedback, it will be among those who skimped and or didn’t have all the information and knowledge on what other parts to consider replacing when adding a new, more aggressive cam. Lots of threads on them lasting many, many miles and some posts about doing more than one cam job. Not exactly because they wanted to!

Old 11-09-2021, 10:40 AM   #3
LINYSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
This is probably a really good question. Based on being around here for a while and knowing people on the planet even longer, you’re probably going to get few negative answers. From what I gleaned here, there is only one way to do a cam job. THE RIGHT WAY. I think if you do get some honest, negative feedback, it will be among those who skimped and or didn’t have all the information on what other parts to consider replacing when adding a new, more aggressive cam.
Thanks for your input,
I'm gonna have it done and done correctly,
Old 11-09-2021, 10:42 AM   #4
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
No regrets when I did it myself. When I paid someone to do it, yes.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:43 AM   #5
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Depends on the cam u get. Can get that cam shake.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:56 PM   #6
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
Depends on the cam u get. Can get that cam shake.
Probably the biggest reason I don’t get one. I don’t have the know how and don’t trust anyone else in my area. And CA smog...
Old 11-09-2021, 01:50 PM   #7
SSkat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
No regrets here but mine is not a daily.
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:29 PM   #8
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Right after I installed mine I had a few moments of doubt. I had just had my new engine built and it was running amazingly on the stock LS3 cam. I installed the cam 2k miles after the rebuild.

The main feeling I had was 'WTF did I do to my car?!' - Mainly because it did lose a little bit of driveability, but only in the sense that it had now become an untamed animal in comparison. It shakes like crazy and is a massive attention getter, like it or not. It also takes some getting used to driving, especially if an auto with the stock convertor. Maintenance would now be more strict, valve springs would need changing at 20-25k intervals, and I would need to keep a closer eye on her. I knew that I had fundamentally changed my car.

But I got over that VERY quickly. I wouldn't go back to the stock cam if you paid me. The sounds, the feels, the smell...it is all part of an experience that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Seriously, the attention this car gets now. Total strangers will talk to you wherever you go and ask questions or comment. People told me this beforehand, but it is multiple times per day. It's cool though...Just be prepared to be a dude magnet.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 11-09-2021 at 03:30 PM.
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:07 PM   #9
hawkyV8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6m
Nope. Best thing I ever did for my car.
hawkyV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:21 PM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
This is probably a really good question. But based on being around here for a while and knowing people on the planet even longer, you’re probably going to get few negative answers. From what I gleaned here, there is only one way to do a cam job. THE RIGHT WAY.

I think if you do get some honest, negative feedback, it will be among those who skimped and or didn’t have all the information and knowledge on what other parts to consider replacing when adding a new, more aggressive cam. Lots of threads on them lasting many, many miles and some posts about doing more than one cam job. Not exactly because they wanted to!

Great post moto!!! DO IT RIGHT the first time with ALL the right parts and you will have NO regrets!!

Last edited by 1JEWLDSSRS; 11-09-2021 at 05:33 PM.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:26 PM   #11
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Right after I installed mine I had a few moments of doubt. I had just had my new engine built and it was running amazingly on the stock LS3 cam. I installed the cam 2k miles after the rebuild.

The main feeling I had was 'WTF did I do to my car?!' - Mainly because it did lose a little bit of driveability, but only in the sense that it had now become an untamed animal in comparison. It shakes like crazy and is a massive attention getter, like it or not. It also takes some getting used to driving, especially if an auto with the stock convertor. Maintenance would now be more strict, valve springs would need changing at 20-25k intervals, and I would need to keep a closer eye on her. I knew that I had fundamentally changed my car.

But I got over that VERY quickly. I wouldn't go back to the stock cam if you paid me. The sounds, the feels, the smell...it is all part of an experience that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Seriously, the attention this car gets now. Total strangers will talk to you wherever you go and ask questions or comment. People told me this beforehand, but it is multiple times per day. It's cool though...Just be prepared to be a dude magnet.
lol, thats it in a nutshell sir!!! I would do it again in a heartbeat!! Love my monster, attention getter. Be prepared for this as Infidel stated. I was at a show this past Sunday and these guys from Camaro Club of America wanted to video my Camaro, sure!!! lol.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cama...8562174322335/
Old 11-09-2021, 04:31 PM   #12
LINYSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
lol, thats it in a nutshell sir!!! I would do it again in a heartbeat!! Love my monster, attention getter. Be prepared for this as Infidel stated. I was at a show this past Sunday and these guys from Camaro Club of America wanted to video my Camaro, sure!!! lol.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cama...8562174322335/
I'm a member on that page, your cars is awesome!!

So far i have been thru a few WTF did i do to my car and soon after was glad i did
Old 11-09-2021, 04:36 PM   #13
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYSS View Post
I'm a member on that page, your cars is awesome!!

So far i have been thru a few WTF did i do to my car and soon after was glad i did
Thanks for the compliment!! Yea she is pretty badass and gets all sorts of attention with her looks, but the big cam and Corsa exhaust gets everyone to come over after I get parked and set up. It's like nobody has ever seen a new gen Camaro all cammed up!! And to think about it, there aren't but abouy 1 or 2 others I know of, and I never see them out and about.. I'm gonna drive mine!! lol.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:59 PM   #14
LINYSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Thanks for the compliment!! Yea she is pretty badass and gets all sorts of attention with her looks, but the big cam and Corsa exhaust gets everyone to come over after I get parked and set up. It's like nobody has ever seen a new gen Camaro all cammed up!! And to think about it, there aren't but abouy 1 or 2 others I know of, and I never see them out and about.. I'm gonna drive mine!! lol.
Well i'm moving down there so there will be 1 more