Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #1
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Cam Parts Suggestion Assistance

I am looking into getting a cam for the vert and probably going with the GPI SS2 package so need the AFM delete but need a little help and what all is needed. Plan on getting a circle d 278mm HP converter since it is an auto but want to make sure I get the correct parts for this upgrade. Any help would be appreciated. Hoping to get all this installed before Cfest but don't know if that will be possible.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:55 AM   #2
Abelardoo_12

Drives: 2011 camaro ss convertible
Do you plan on keeping vvt or doing an ls3 conversion?
Abelardoo_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #3
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

I plan on keeping the VVT
Old 06-06-2021, 12:28 PM   #4
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
That a nice converter.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:20 PM   #5
Abelardoo_12

If you go to gpi’s website and click on the l99 cam kit you get to select different options from there. You pretty much will need every option they have there. One thing I would say you should do is replace all 16 lifters instead of just replacing the 8 afm lifters just to be safe. Another thing you might need is a melling oil pump, not 100 percent sure it’s needed but I remember putting one on when I did my cam swap.

The best advice I could give you though is to contact gpi. On their website they have a contact page, go to it and fill out the page with your information about the car and what you are looking for. Andrew (or maybe someone else, but andrew is the one who always emails me when I submit the contact info) will contact you and answer every single question you have. They’ll even put the kit together with everything you’ll need and all you’ll have to do is check out.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:42 PM   #6
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Thanks, that’s what I did and Kevin helped out on what was needed. Upgraded the springs on what was suggested and got all 16 lifters as well. Don’t want to replace just half lol. Now gotta get the converter and hopefully should be all set. Some of the parts are on back order but hope they get some in stock before shipping it out. I’m hoping to get all this done by cfest but that may not happen. Went with the SS2 VVT option.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:51 PM   #7
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0751 View Post
Thanks, that’s what I did and Kevin helped out on what was needed. Upgraded the springs on what was suggested and got all 16 lifters as well. Don’t want to replace just half lol. Now gotta get the converter and hopefully should be all set. Some of the parts are on back order but hope they get some in stock before shipping it out. I’m hoping to get all this done by cfest but that may not happen. Went with the SS2 VVT option.
Good choice on the cam. Did they sell you a trunnion upgrade?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:03 PM   #8
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

They did not sell me the trunnion upgrade as it was optional, but can always get it before the install. Just ordered the stall converter a little bit ago.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:56 PM   #9
Abelardoo_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0751 View Post
They did not sell me the trunnion upgrade as it was optional, but can always get it before the install. Just ordered the stall converter a little bit ago.
I dont know how tight you are with your budget but trunnions are something else I would personally upgrade. There’s a lot of stories about the needle bearings falling apart and causing a whole mess inside the engine. Im sure there’s probably more people that have been running with them for a long time with no problem but for peace of mind I would go with a trunnion bushing upgrade.