Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #1
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Katech LS7 Head Fix Group Buy

All,

Katech will be running a group buy to fix the LS7 cylinder heads found in the Z/28 camaros. As some of you may know, the LS7 cylinder heads are known to prematurely drop valves which will cause catastrophic engine failure. We discovered this issue with the C6 Z06 corvettes when owners began to put mileage on their vehicles.

We feel that we have the most proven solution to fix these cylinder heads with data to back it. Recently we had a customer come back to our shop for a peace-of-mind check up. He put 21,000 miles on his C6 Z06 along with 10 hours of track time during road course events. Upon disassembly, the heads passed with flying colors and showed virtually no wear whatsoever. Also note that these heads were on a vehicle equipped with our Stage 2 Head/Cam package which causes more strain on the valves/valve guides than stock.

Deadline: November 1st, 2019

Group Buy Sign Up Sheet:
  1. Dixon Racing
  2. SS Performance
  3. Jberg805
  4. T.B.
  5. .
  6. .

There have been a few Z28 owners that have sent their heads in for the head fix and others that have done the stage packages. I do not have the mileage on the cars that sent their heads in, but I do have them for our Stage 2 package.

Z28 #1: Stage 2, 2015 MY, 13,286 Miles
Z28 #2: Stage 2, 2015 MY, 14,401 Miles

Shown below is our head fix after 10 HPDE days, and 21,000 miles after installation:

With that said, the group buy will consist of the following:
  • 10% off on any cylinder head fix and porting service
  • 5 or more people are required for this offer
  • We will have a schedule (to be determined) where you sign up for a slot to send in your cylinder heads
  • This discount applies to additional cylinder head services such as CNC porting
  • Depending on the volume of people interested in this group buy, further discounts may be offered but not guaranteed
  • If you are interested in sending your vehicle in rather than your cylinder heads, we can discuss promotions for a complete car shop job as well

LS7 Head Fix Costs before the discount:
  • LS7 Head Fix, Repair Only. MSRP $2,519.88, Discounted: $2,267.90
  • LS7 Head Fix, Repair + CNC Ports. MSRP $2,967.71, Discounted: $2670.94
  • LS7 Head Fix, Repair Only, CNC Ports + Chambers. MSRP $3,088.7, Discounted: $2,779.84
All Head Fix packages include our spec CHE bronze guides, Katech Ti/Mo intake valves, competition valve job + blend, new seals, our cylinder head deburr detail service, laser etching, and inspecting your OEM exhaust valves. New OEM exhaust valves can be provided for an additional $420.64 while Katech Ti/Mo exhaust valves will be $1519.92.

CNC Porting will greatly increase the flow of these heads, I would consider this if you are going ahead and taking the heads off anyways. We can also upgrade the valvetrain package to be cam-ready if you choose to do so.

As far as vehicle packages are concerned, the two most common packages are the following (All prices after discount):

Stage 2 Head/Cam (Includes the Head Fix): $8,055.00
Head Fix Only: $4,194.47
Head Fix + CNC Ports: $4,597.50
Head Fix + CNC Ports + Chambers: $4706.4

All head fix vehicle jobs include all the proper gaskets, trend pushrods, and arp head bolts.

The Stage 2 package includes:
-Head Fix
-Camshaft of your choice
-Katech C5-R timing chain
-PSI springs
-Katech Titanium retainers
-Bronze valve guides
-Katech Ti/Mo intake valves
-CNC ported cylinder heads
-Your choice of a Fast 102 Intake or MSD Intake
-Wideband O2 bung
-Head gaskets
-ARP head bolts
-160 degree thermostat
-Serialized plaque
-Installation
-Licensing and calibration with HP Tuners
-Baseline dyno
-Chassis dyno tuning
-Chassis dyno sheet comparing baseline to finished product
-3 year/36,000mi warranty

You can add other items/services to our stage package and the price will be adjusted accordingly. I will have to verify with my boss, but the discount should apply to the entire job.

Feel free to comment below, private message, or email me at zach@katechengines.com if you are interested.

Best Regards,
Zach

Last edited by Katech_Zach; 10-09-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:34 AM   #2
Mark_Z28

Drives: Black 2015 Z28 #457
You've made the connection that Z28 heads like the Z06 heads have the same issues because they are both ls7 heads. You must work on a lot of z28s, therefore you must have data that shows the z28 heads having the same issues. Would you mind sharing that Data(as it say's engineering behind katech surely you collect lots and lots of data)?

I'm curious to see the data as I am looking to have the heads upgraded and have 66k miles plus on a stock 2015 z28.

Last edited by Mark_Z28; 09-24-2019 at 07:36 AM. Reason: emphasis on ENGINEERING from another Engineer
Mark_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:50 AM   #3
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Z28 View Post
You've made the connection that Z28 heads like the Z06 heads have the same issues because they are both ls7 heads. You must work on a lot of z28s, therefore you must have data that shows the z28 heads having the same issues. Would you mind sharing that Data(as it say's engineering behind katech surely you collect lots and lots of data)?

I'm curious to see the data as I am looking to have the heads upgraded and have 66k miles plus on a stock 2015 z28.
following... I would like more info on this as well
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
birdmanf16

Drives: 2022 Zl1 1lE
Send a message via MSN to birdmanf16 Send a message via Yahoo to birdmanf16
Do you replace the intake and exhaust valves on your builds? Or do you just do a valve job and fix the issue with machining and better valve guides?
birdmanf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #5
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
Would this special price apply to LSX-LS7 heads?
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:25 AM   #6
Crush

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBaldDog View Post
I can tell you that I just removed my heads last weekend and can EASILY wiggle my intake valves.

I have not mic'd the valve guides, but I've been working on engines for a good portion of my life and the concept of a wiggling valve doesn't mean anything good to me.
How many miles?

And also following data set from Katech .
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Yes, please provide details regarding the full price (and with discount) for the heads and labor included. Also details around the time needed for the swap / install.

Thanks
-Jon
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #8
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
14k miles.

I realize the Wiggle Test isn't official, isn't approved, etc... but valves shouldn't wiggle in my opinion. I am trying to borrow the proper tool from a machinist friend to check more accurately.
So valves/guides should have zero gap? Basically press fit? Asking for a friend. You’ll need a bit more than a mic by the way.

Last edited by 1970judge; 09-24-2019 at 12:40 PM.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #9
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
So valves/guides should have zero gap? Basically press fit? Asking for a friend.
Well, if someone has had their hands on thousands of valves over decades... many engine techs/hot rodders do get a good feel for what a good valve to guide should feels like. They basically should slide nicely with the slightest of clearance. If they wobble, that shit is wore out.

You can get technical and mic it down to the .xxxx" but even Ray Charles could identify a wobbler.

Kinda like with bearings, the clearance is less than a human hair. If it goes clink clunk clank... no good.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #10
1970judge

[QUOTE=Russell James;10626546]Well, if someone has had their hands on thousands of valves over decades... many engine techs/hot rodders do get a good feel for what a good valve to guide should feels like. They basically should slide nicely with the slightest of clearance. If they wobble, that shit is wore out.

You can get technical and mic it down to the .xxxx" but even Ray Charles could identify a wobbler.

Kinda like with bearings, the clearance is less than a human hair. If it goes clink clunk clank... no good.[/]

Lol ray charles could identify a wobbler. Yeah, im sure he can. I bet he cant read a correct guage though. Which is what should be done instead of taking a inaccurate measurement and saying “it wobbles”. The point I was making was..they WILL have tolerance. So saying valves ‘shouldnt wiggle’ is...?...there is an actual tolerance spec for that.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #11
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
[QUOTE=1970judge;10626557]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Well, if someone has had their hands on thousands of valves over decades... many engine techs/hot rodders do get a good feel for what a good valve to guide should feels like. They basically should slide nicely with the slightest of clearance. If they wobble, that shit is wore out.

Kinda like with bearings, the clearance is less than a human hair. If it goes clink clunk clank... no good.[/]

Lol ray charles could identify a wobbler. Yeah, im sure he can. I bet he cant read a correct guage though. Which is what should be done instead of taking a inaccurate measurement and saying “it wobbles”. The point I was making was..they WILL have tolerance. So saying valves ‘shouldnt wiggle’ is...?...there is an actual tolerance spec for that.
...but, if someone has the heads off... if it were me, I'd address it and be done with it. If someone has - getting the heads fixed - on their mind and goes through all the trouble of tearing it all down .... Just my approach, I wouldn't even bother measuring a thing, I would just dive into getting them done right.

You do know that you have to take the valve out of the head right to measure the clearance? If I'm doing surgery that deep, it's getting the full redo. I don't take stuff apart, just to put it back together.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #12
Gbland60

Drives: 2015 z28 Black w/ac #645
Is this going to turn into another c6zo6 zr1 corvette forum episodes. If it does , thanks alot Zach .
Let me edit one thing here so there's no confusion on my post: I for 1 know and believe there is and has been an issue with the pm valve guides on these LS7s. Just be clear. Im still saving for the KAT-A7232 bundle .Going all out.
Gbland60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #13
1970judge

[QUOTE=Russell James;10626575]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post

...but, if someone has the heads off... if it were me, I'd address it and be done with it. If someone has - getting the heads fixed - on their mind and goes through all the trouble of tearing it all down .... Just my approach, I wouldn't even bother measuring a thing, I would just dive into getting them done right.

You do know that you have to take the valve out of the head right to measure the clearance? If I'm doing surgery that deep, it's getting the full redo. I don't take stuff apart, just to put it back together.
Yes I do know that. And, again, that's my point. Take it apart and do it right/get head work done if you so desire. Wiggle test em all you want, unless they move around like a nintendo joystick (see also: ray charles spec) then, wiggle test needs to be followed by proper test.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #14
1970judge

Quote:
I sense the sarcasm. Obviously not a press fit.... but this is far more than acceptable clearancing.

Interestingly, all my intake valves wiggle, significantly.... none of my exhaust valves do.
Interested in the numbers when you get the tools.