Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 12-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #1289
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
I had to reschedule my HUD install. We got 14" of snow yesterday and my held could not make it to my house. Now the install is scheduled for next Sunday Januray 2nd.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:29 AM   #1290
Goliath

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS L99 A6
gmpartsdirect.com Part number:
1) HUD Trim: 92227455 changed to 22758784
2) HUD display: 92205982 changed to 20936211

Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #1291
Don O
Camaro and Vettehead

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM L99 69 427/400 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by baba booey View Post
Any news on the SIR code
Took it in today and they said they had to order an "Air Bag Coil". I'll ask them for the SIR code when I take it back. From the description I'm assuming it's the one in the steering wheel (there's no part number on the service form). I don't think I tweeked that at all when doing the steering wheel R&R. I left the torx bolt in and the wheel came loose with just a little pull. I'll ask them to save the part when they replace it. Stay tuned...

Don O

Don O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #1292
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Your the 2nd guy that had this happen too.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #1293
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don O View Post
Took it in today and they said they had to order an "Air Bag Coil". I'll ask them for the SIR code when I take it back. From the description I'm assuming it's the one in the steering wheel (there's no part number on the service form). I don't think I tweeked that at all when doing the steering wheel R&R. I left the torx bolt in and the wheel came loose with just a little pull. I'll ask them to save the part when they replace it. Stay tuned...

Don O
ya your right, It's behind the steering wheel, it's a coiled up wire inside a plastic ring. The coiled up wires allows the steering wheel to be turned and maintain electrical connection for the SIR system from the coil to the drivers air bag. The code will more likely be an open circuit code. The SIR model does a self test when keyed up and needs to see a certain resistance value to the drivers air bag. usually the wires inside the coil are broken. They are fragile.....Have to make sure coil maintains orientation with the steering column shaft when after removing steering wheel. if rotated and off 360 degrees and then you make a full turn with the steering wheel it will break the wires inside the coil. something else that might help others, I would make sure all connections to steering wheel/airbag are disconnected before pulling the steering wheel bolt, otherwise it's easy to tug on the fragile wires with steering wheel off and trying to disconnect wires. After removing the steering wheel I would hold the coil in place with just enough tape so it can't rotate. and try not to bump it while continuing to remove the dash pad this will also help from damaging the coil.
It doesn't surprise me this has happened during a few installs. It can be a problem if your not familiar with them. if that's pretty much all that happened on your hud install, great job Man!

Last edited by lionssfan; 12-30-2010 at 05:02 PM.
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #1294
Don O
Camaro and Vettehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionssfan View Post
ya your right, It's behind the steering wheel, it's a coiled up wire inside a plastic ring. The coiled up wires allows the steering wheel to be turned and maintain electrical connection for the SIR system from the coil to the drivers air bag. The code will more likely be an open circuit code. The SIR model does a self test when keyed up and needs to see a certain resistance value to the drivers air bag. usually the wires inside the coil are broken. They are fragile.....Have to make sure coil maintains orientation with the steering column shaft when after removing steering wheel. if rotated and off 360 degrees and then you make a full turn with the steering wheel it will break the wires inside the coil. something else that might help others, I would make sure all connections to steering wheel/airbag are disconnected before pulling the steering wheel bolt, otherwise it's easy to tug on the fragile wires with steering wheel off and trying to disconnect wires. After removing the steering wheel I would hold the coil in place with just enough tape so it can't rotate. and try not to bump it while continuing to remove the dash pad this will also help from damaging the coil.
It doesn't surprise me this has happened during a few installs. It can be a problem if your not familiar with them. if that's pretty much all that happened on your hud install, great job Man!
I read the entire Service Manual section on the SIR AFTER the install. I did read the write up on how to install the coil and the extra notes about orientation. I just don't remember that plastic disc making one revolution. Also my "Service Air Bag" came on as soon as I turned the key on after the install. I had not moved the steering wheel yet. I'll post pics of the damaged part after they replace it. Thanks for all the help along the way.

Don O

Old 12-31-2010, 02:15 AM   #1295
STINGS
Live for On Ramps!

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2LT/RS/T.F./6M "naomi"
Quote:

Don O
Part number for the SIR coil is 20810972, list price is 37.52, paid 28.64 with tax from a local dealer here in Phoenix. Neat item, has 2 flat ribbon cables inside, as you turn the steering wheel, ribbon cables are unwound from the outer drum onto an inner drum. (Yep, I was the first guy who had to replace the clockspring. Post #1000. It was pretty obvious that I had broke it, since the air bag leads came off with the steering wheel! )

Joe

Last edited by STINGS; 12-31-2010 at 01:26 PM.
STINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:51 AM   #1296
lionssfan

Quote:
I read the entire Service Manual section on the SIR AFTER the install. I did read the write up on how to install the coil and the extra notes about orientation. I just don't remember that plastic disc making one revolution. Also my "Service Air Bag" came on as soon as I turned the key on after the install. I had not moved the steering wheel yet. I'll post pics of the damaged part after they replace it. Thanks for all the help along the way.

Don O
No problem Don O, glad to help If I can. Sounds like you did things right. maybe it got bumped and broke it...... hard to say.......let me know what the code is when you find out.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:54 AM   #1297
lionssfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGS View Post
Part number for the SIR coil is 20810972, list price is 37.52, paid 28.64 with tax from a local dealer here in Phoenix. Neat item, has 2 flat ribbon cables inside, as you turn the steering wheel, ribbon cables are unwound from the outer drum onto an inner drum. (Yep, I was the first guy who had to replace the clockspring. It was pretty obvious that I had broke it, since the air bag leads came off with the steering wheel! )

Joe
ouch, bummer joe. Not a bad price on the replacement part. I would of thought they were more then 28.00 bucks.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #1298
2SSRS@Gen5diy

For the ppl that want to see the harness here is a pic with the ABL.

And to all a happy new year.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2010, 10:17 AM   #1299
Goliath

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS L99 A6
Does anyone know the new HUD (HUD display: #92205982 changed to #20936211 ) will work with the curent parts and wire harness?

Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:08 PM   #1300
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
Does anyone know the new HUD (HUD display: #92205982 changed to #20936211 ) will work with the curent parts and wire harness?
There still have the 2 # out so i have no idea.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #1301
Don O
Camaro and Vettehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGS View Post
Part number for the SIR coil is 20810972, list price is 37.52, paid 28.64 with tax from a local dealer here in Phoenix. Neat item, has 2 flat ribbon cables inside, as you turn the steering wheel, ribbon cables are unwound from the outer drum onto an inner drum. (Yep, I was the first guy who had to replace the clockspring. Post #1000. It was pretty obvious that I had broke it, since the air bag leads came off with the steering wheel! )

Joe
Joe,

I had read your post before taking mine apart. That's exactly why I kept the bolt threaded while pulling on the wheel. I'm curious to see the "damage" on mine.

Don O

Old 12-31-2010, 02:26 PM   #1302
Don O
Camaro and Vettehead

Another HUD plus I just noticed yesterday after I got the PDIM replaced is that when using the USB drive for playing mp3s, at every song change the artist and tilte come up on the HUD for about 10 seconds. Kinda neat.

Don O