Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Low coolant?

So here is a picture, you can tell where fluid has definitely been on the dipstick but it's pretty dry all the way to the bottom of the stick. I just decided to look at it because I've had a few WOT runs where the coolant temps have gotten up to 228-230 before starting to go back down.

I checked the actual radiator and I can see moisture at the top but I didn't visibly see any fluid

Question is, I don't have milky oil, and why would I be low on coolant at 65K?

Thanks guys I'm befuddled
Old 02-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
NC_SS

Engine is cold btw
Old 02-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I can't see your level in that photo.

But you should get under the car and look for problems.

Check the fitting on the coolant hose between the engine block and oil cooler. It's on the aft driver's side of the block and a known problem area.

Check all other coolant hose connections. Sometimes, the leaks are too small to create spots under the car, but will cause low coolant level over time.

Now since you can't see fluid in the radiator, you obviously have a leak. Before anything else, put fluid in the radiator, NOT THE SURGE TANK. Read the procedure in the OM. Once the radiator is full with cap off and engine running, cap it and fill surge tank.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #4
NC_SS

Yepp, just went and warmed my car up

Still no movement on the level reader. Can't say I've ever seen a puddle under my car as well

So I reckon it's time for a dealer trip
Old 02-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
NC_SS

I'll probably fill it up first this weekend, then see if I can ever spot a leak
Old 02-06-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
NC_SS

What's killing me is the car literally sits for like 23 hours straight, especially during the work week, it's all night at home, and then for 9 ish hours at work.

I have never seen what I'd call a leak, so I guess it's slightly leaking at throttle going down the road?
Old 02-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Fill it first and monitor it. I don't think you need to jump to a dealer visit just yet.
People tend to overlook coolant level on these. Its probably because the expansion tank is black and not clear like most other vehicles.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #8
NC_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
Fill it first and monitor it. I don't think you need to jump to a dealer visit just yet.
People tend to overlook coolant level on these. Its probably because the expansion tank is black and not clear like most other vehicles.
That's what I've decided to do, will add fluid tomorrow after work

Also yea I'm surprised this surge tank isn't clear, the surge tank in my Nissan is clear
Old 02-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #9
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
possibly it needs to be under pressure to leak,as in a loose hose clamp somewhere? id fill it,get it hot and then look for seepage around hose ends.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #10
NC_SS

Also did some digging, decided to check the spark plugs on the off chance it may be a bad head gasket. Checked one plug on each bank because I'm way too lazy to pull all of them at 6:30 in the dark, but the results look good to me

Looks good to everyone else?
Old 02-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #11
redrs14

Drives: 2014/1LT/RS
Yesterday, I was checking coolant and came across exactly this. It was also dry and looked exactly like your photo. I was curious too. After searching Google and taking it to a local Advance, I found mine was slightly low but not enough to warrant rushing to fill it but I did anyway. Hope this helps.
redrs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:02 PM   #12
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
First thing I would do out of curiosity/worry is figure out EXACTLY how low the radiator was by re-filling the radiator directly with antifreeze diluted by equal amount of distilled water (engine cold). Then start up to bring up to temperature and top off radiator making sure all air is out. I'd want to know exactly how low the water level got before even trying to find the water leak.
This would give an idea on whether there is any reason to worry about damage caused by the low coolant level.

p.s. the two sample spark plugs you pulled look real good -- 65K on those plugs???
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #13
NC_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
First thing I would do out of curiosity/worry is figure out EXACTLY how low the radiator was by re-filling the radiator directly with antifreeze diluted by equal amount of distilled water (engine cold). Then start up to bring up to temperature and top off radiator making sure all air is out. I'd want to know exactly how low the water level got before even trying to find the water leak.
This would give an idea on whether there is any reason to worry about damage caused by the low coolant level.

p.s. the two sample spark plugs you pulled look real good -- 65K on those plugs???
Ron
Plugs have roughly 15K on them I think, changed them when I went with longtubes last July

The stock plugs looked real good too when I pulled them, I had just cracked a few putting on the headers so I went ahead and changed them all
Old 02-06-2017, 06:12 PM   #14
NC_SS

Thanks for the info gentlemen

I'll be adding fluid tomorrow, how many gallons of 50/50 mix would you recommend?