Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > International Regions > UK

Old 01-27-2016, 08:05 AM   #1
johndm

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Help Me Choose, US or Euro

Long time yank driver, currently running a RHD 2009 Cadillac STS V6 European model, but need to have a V8 back in my life...

Looking at a 2013 model as I don't like the hood on the 2014, and want the MyLink system with nav and the nicer steering wheel.

Weighing up the pros and cons of US spec against Euro spec, some thoughts so far....

All Euro V8's are SS with RS pack, US models can vary on options.

I prefer small mirrors, but like the integrated side repeaters keeping the fenders clean.

I again prefer the US tail lights, but Euro's are all LED which is nicer.

Euro has tow hooks, US does not, but hey, it's never gonna break down!

Euro has HID washers/levellers, but US doesn't need them for IVA pass.

What am I missing? Does the US navigation work in the UK?

I've had a couple of problems with my Euro STS all with non US spec items. The alarm system tilt sensor failed and was fairly expensive.
The internal ultrasonic intrusion sensor failed...£800 but got a second hand one on Ebay.
The electronic steering lock motor failed, £1000 plus for a new unit, so I just ripped the locking plunger out and threw it away.
All these are fairly common faults with the Euro models, so wondering if the Euro Camaro has any hidden little surprises?

Thoughts guys...

Cheers,

John
johndm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:34 AM   #2
pete-1le
pete1le

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Hi John! Theres loads of people on here that helped me when I bought my camaro, I'm sure you'll get all the information you need on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndm View Post
Long time yank driver, currently running a RHD 2009 Cadillac STS V6 European model, but need to have a V8 back in my life...
Personally I'm glad I went V8 but I think any Camaro is an awesome experience on UK roads.

Quote:
Looking at a 2013 model as I don't like the hood on the 2014, and want the MyLink system with nav and the nicer steering wheel.
I like the upgraded mylink system on the 2013 but bear in mind that most of the cool stuff doesn't work outside of the US satellite footprint. You won't get XM radio and the Navgation won't work unless you've got an 2015 EU spec car. I think you're right about the steering wheel but it's down to personal preference.

Quote:
Weighing up the pros and cons of US spec against Euro spec, some thoughts so far....
EU spec has headlight washer jets on the HID lights, US spec has non-folding wing mirrors (difficult for UK single garages), EU spec doesn't have the SS logos on the headrests, there's a few other subtle differences, locking petrol cap on the EU but not the US version, different rear bumper and rear lights on the EU version. As the 5th gen gets older it might be more difficult to get EU specific parts but not impossible.

Quote:
The UK road tax is £500 per year on the EU version, the UK road tax is £200 on the US version. This was the main reason I imported one. They don't measure the CO2 emmisions on imported cars, so by default it goes into the pre-1991 road tax band.

Quote:
I prefer small mirrors, but like the integrated side repeaters keeping the fenders clean.
Pain in the ass trying to find a single garage that fits the car and then the mirrors don't fold in. The EU mirrors look like they belong on a transit van but they do give more visibilty and they fold!

Quote:
If you go US model, you'd need to make a custom LED kit, I run the Technostalgia tail lights which are all LED but they will fail the MOT every year because of the red turn signals.

Quote:
#BOMBPROOF :-)

Quote:
My IVA failed on the HIDs because the lights are not "e-marked". Most IVA places swap to halogen lights for the IVA and then put the HIDs back in afterwards. Then the HIDs should pass the MOT every year even without washers.

Quote:
Nope it doesn't. Hopefully someone will attempt to transfer the NAV system and NAV brain out of a 2015 EU spec and into a US car, but there isn't a way to do it yet.

Quote:
I've had a couple of problems with my Euro STS all with non US spec items. The alarm system tilt sensor failed and was fairly expensive.
The internal ultrasonic intrusion sensor failed...£800 but got a second hand one on Ebay.
The electronic steering lock motor failed, £1000 plus for a new unit, so I just ripped the locking plunger out and threw it away.
All these are fairly common faults with the Euro models, so wondering if the Euro Camaro has any hidden little surprises?
I've imported and sold quite a few parts to people on here and the only thing that keeps cropping up again and again is the common oil leak from the oil cooler, which is a result of a faulty gasket, about £25 to replace. Apart from that the only other commonly requested parts of just your usual consumable parts.

If you fo decide to go for a US car, don't forget to run the VIN through the CarFax system so you can see all of the history online prior to it arriving in the UK. Hope that helps, Pete.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Drives: Camaro, Corvette & Merc C300(daily)
Quote:

Thoughts guys...

Cheers,

John
Hello John - hope you make the jump, Yank or Brit machine, they both come with the big grin-o-meter. Mine is EU, one of an official Chevy UK batch imported in early 2013. Had it since Aug 2014 and (crossing my fingers here) absolutely no mech/elec issues at all. First MOT three weeks ago and it sailed thru with none of the shenanigans that some of the UK lads have had with lighting issues. On EU imports there is no nav, not even US nav (well on mine anyway) I believe we get FE4 susp which a lot of the US stuff doesn't - probably cos' our roads are shyte. Mirrors are for me a blessing in that, with 'em folded I have about 60-80 mm clearance when I enter/exit the garage - they're a bit on the big side as Pete says but then the vis is so much better. Good luck with the search - a few around just at the mo' - worth being picky. My £0.02 worth. Cheers, Ed (Yellow 1)

Oh yeah, almost forgot; the yellow ones are much quicker.....
Yellow 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
pete-1le
pete1le

I drove Ed's car on Saturday and agree yellow is much faster! And turns more heads, haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

[QUOTE=pete-1le;8866300]I drove Ed's car on Saturday and agree yellow is much faster! And turns more heads, haha

Didn't realise you personal-import boys got lower vehicle tax!

#cheated #donewithoutlube #camarodiesel-hybridnextcar......
Old 01-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
johndm

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Cheers for the replies guys, keep them coming.....

So I wrongly assumed that any 2013 or later US and Euro model with the big Mylink had factory nav. However, my main reason for wanting the screen would be for the back up camera. We rented a SS in Nevada last year, and that camera was defiantly needed for safe reversing. Did early models have camera with display in the rear view mirror?
£200 road tax is a big plus too, as I want this car to be a keeper. I ran my trusty 1984 Trans Am for 22 years!

Red is surely quicker than yellow? My old Trans Am was red and it was the fastest car on the planet... the 5000cc/305ci V8 305 pumped out 190 hp...!
johndm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #7
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Reversing camera is very useful John as the vis to the rear is pretty p155-poor on these things. I get over your way to see my lad who lives at Sandy - going over on Sunday 31st if you want a close look at an EU one.....
Old 01-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #8
evildave

Drives: 2010 2SS RS GFX
I dont have that much of a visibility issue using the us spec mirrors, just the general view over the shoulder and wide windscreen pillars is pretty poor. As for reversing the parking beeps seem to be pretty accurate and i've not hit anything yet. US spec 2010 2ss rs
Old 01-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #9
Uk Blown SS

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I agree with what Dave just said. The road tax must be a big plus for US cars. Also like to point out that Black is the fastest by far. !!
Uk Blown SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #10
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk Blown SS View Post
I agree with what Dave just said. The road tax must be a big plus for US cars. Also like to point out that Black is the fastest by far. !!

Ahem, yep, gotta concede that after going back to the future in TC's missile!....
Old 01-27-2016, 02:37 PM   #11
Dan 6511

Drives: Camaro SS
I bought mine from the US. I can get it in my single garage, but have had to cut out removable slots from my door frame! But it does actually go in.

For my indicators I put them in the mirrors as shown, the plastic pieces were held in with silicon and I removed them after the IVA as I have a friendly MOT man who won't worry. I think it was fairly neat way of doing it and if I ever sell the car I'll put them back again. I didn't want to drill the wings.
Attached Images

Dan 6511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #12
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

THAT is dedication to the breed! Taking a saw to your garage door frame....Unbelievable - top bloke! There you go Pete1le - garage prob solved; remove bay window and cut slots in brickwork, job done mate!
Old 01-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #13
pete-1le
pete1le

Hahaha, Dan6511 that is brilliant! And is that ladder on the drivers side to help you climb out the drivers window? This deserves a forum thread of it's own, top bloke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #14
Dan 6511

Drives: Camaro SS
Haha. Nah the ladder is for the garage loft, its actually too far forward of the car window. I can just about squeeze out the door.
Dan 6511 is offline   Reply With Quote