Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
sstrixx

Drives: '14 Camaro 2SS/RS
Decisions

So...

I have a 2014 2SS, it's my DD right now. I'm in Toronto so we get pretty cool here in the spring and fall and get some rain every now and then. Its time to replace my rear tires and its come down to these 2... looking for opinions..

Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (all season)

The michelins are 125$ more a tire.
sstrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:08 PM   #2
Spocktwin

Drives: 2015 LT RS Camaro, 1978 Trans Am
Falken

Just my two cents by my 2015 is a DD and I drove it every day this winter in Northern Ohio. I have Falken A/S and had no trouble going anywhere this year, I like these tires and they were reasonable.
Spocktwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
sstrixx

Drives: '14 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have a set of winter tires and rims, this is just for the other 3 seasons.
sstrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
Copper RS3-S would be an option if you are considering the Perilli P Zero tires. I had the Copper RS3-S tires on my Camaro in the past they have excellent dry and wet traction,have a excellent wear rating and lasted us quite a long time,and they really planted our Camaro to the ground. I really liked the contact patch and tread design of the Copper RS3-S tires. www.coppertires.com
Old 03-28-2019, 07:39 PM   #5
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
I'm in Ottawa & I have the Pirelli All Season plus on my SS. Very nice tires. I like them. My car is out from about mid March to usually first week of December most years. They are very good in the Summer and decent in the colder temps though I rarely if ever drive it below 0C admittedly. No issues in rain at all either. Nice ride and quiet too. So you couldn't go wrong with them and they rate pretty high in the UHP all season category.

I can't comment on snow as the car has never been driven in it.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueovalman View Post
Copper RS3-S would be an option if you are considering the Perilli P Zero tires. I had the Copper RS3-S tires on my Camaro in the past they have excellent dry and wet traction,have a excellent wear rating and lasted us quite a long time,and they really planted our Camaro to the ground. I really liked the contact patch and tread design of the Copper RS3-S tires. www.coppertires.com
Cooper
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
Andred1971

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
so if you value the consumer reports they list the following top 2 tires. If you are looking for a Ultra High performance All Season Tire, the highest rating comes from the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus tire, the next highest rating is Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tire. The Pirelli has better handling, less noise and less Hydroplaning, whereas the Continental has better Braking, but less handling, worse noise and worse hydroplaning. The Michelin Pilot didn't even make the list (or never got tested)
Andred1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:47 PM   #8
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I am partial to Pirelli but I only run the summer tires. My kid use to work at Discount tire and swears the Michelin is a better tire. He will only run those on his BMW
Old 03-29-2019, 01:15 PM   #9
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwdan View Post
I am partial to Pirelli but I only run the summer tires. My kid use to work at Discount tire and swears the Michelin is a better tire. He will only run those on his BMW
I just had Discount Tire put a set of Michelin on my buddies Corvette C6, I'm keeping in my Garage while he moves. I also had the Pirelli tires on my GEN5.. No comparison the Michelin hands down much better tire. JMHO
Old 03-30-2019, 10:06 AM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I would recommend you look at more than the speed rating and look to the wear rating, I use toyo proxes 4+ all season performance, they have a wear rating of 500+ versus stock p zero with the rating of ...like 150...near zero...LOL and they handle like the summer only tires with the same speed and handling ratings and ...the price.... just a thought.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:49 PM   #11
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
I would recommend you look at more than the speed rating and look to the wear rating, I use toyo proxes 4+ all season performance, they have a wear rating of 500+ versus stock p zero with the rating of ...like 150...near zero...LOL and they handle like the summer only tires with the same speed and handling ratings and ...the price.... just a thought.
I'm sorry, but there is no way that a tire with hard rubber and a high wear rating is going to have as much grip as a softer tire with a lower rating. That's basic physics.

Watch an Indy Car or F1 race were they use tires with different wear ratings. The softest, shortest lived, tires produce the fastest lap times.
There is no miracle compound that Toyo discovered.

Longer wearing tires may suit your driving style, but some of us would find them disappointing on a high powered, well handling, Camaro.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:28 AM   #12
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Well Fred the Pilots I am sure have a lot longer wear rating than the Pzeros also...…. and the same handling rating most likely along with others. Softer rubber is not the only thing to grip and speed rating etc...…… SO try to feel the difference between two different tires with AAA Handling and a Z or Y speed rating...… not so easy, but the difference can be thousands of miles when it comes to replacing a set of tires.....

Basically you can get more wear on a little difference some times a lot more with the same exact ratings......read the wear ratings they do matter. And he is in Canada I find my Proxes work well in rainy Oregon, and the Pilots also both much better for wear and better feel in the rain than P zeros and the same feel for a dry burnout. SO the Michelins might last the extra 125$ worth per tire longer and feel the same, its talking to the tire experts that matters....and wear rating matters as does $$$$$$$$$$.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:56 PM   #13
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
BF Goodrich Radial T/As

Last edited by TooCool5; 04-03-2019 at 09:17 AM.
TooCool5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:33 AM   #14
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
i have a 2015 SS and its my DD, i went with the continental extreme contact DWS tire. really like them alot, we have quite a bit of ran and they handle great.
Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote