Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-09-2018, 06:52 PM   #1
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Installing door speakers in BA equipped Camaro...Crossover Help?

I just received my new Infinity PR6500CS Primus 6 1/2" Component Speaker System for my front doors.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are to replace my blown Boston Acoustics factory door speakers. I have been out of the audio game for at least a decade, so I need a little help.

These came with (2) 6.5 inch components, (2) tweeters, and (2) crossovers. I also picked up a set of speaker/door adapters as well, so I am good with that.

Little more background, I am already running a 'Pumpkin' 7 inch Android touchscreen stereo with a Scosche GM5201AB Aftermarket/Canbus climate control adapter, which sounds fantastic through the BA amp...for what it is. I know what I could have, but I am 44 years old now and am not really into huge booming bass anymore.My 6x9's are still in good shape, and I am really more concerned with the front sound stage for the time being.

My question is this. Because of how the factory setup is already, do I even need to use those crossovers? Or are these lines already filtered? I am going to replace the BA tweeters with the Infinity's (I will modify the existing triangular case), using the existing tweeter feed lines and the same thing for the woofers, with their existing lines. I am going to use the factory amp for the time being. I am simply replacing the speakers, that's it.

I confused myself the way I asked that. So what I am getting at it, if I do NOT use the crossovers, will I still only get highs to the tweeters and the mid/lows to the woofers? Or do the BA speakers have some sort of crossover/filter built in? I know its probably a stupid question, but I just want to make sure I get the best sound for what I have with how our cars are set up.

Thanks in advance!
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7ş overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160ş thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 12-09-2018 at 07:05 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #2
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I just received my new Infinity PR6500CS Primus 6 1/2" Component Speaker System for my front doors.

These are to replace my blown Boston Acoustics factory door speakers. I have been out of the audio game for at least a decade, so I need a little help.

These came with (2) 6.5 inch components, (2) tweeters, and (2) crossovers. I also picked up a set of speaker/door adapters as well, so I am good with that.

Little more background, I am already running a 'Pumpkin' 7 inch Android touchscreen stereo with a Scosche GM5201AB Aftermarket/Canbus climate control adapter, which sounds fantastic through the BA amp...for what it is. I know what I could have, but I am 44 years old now and am not really into huge booming bass anymore.My 6x9's are still in good shape, and I am really more concerned with the front sound stage for the time being.

My question is this. Because of how the factory setup is already, do I even need to use those crossovers? Or are these lines already filtered? I am going to replace the BA tweeters with the Infinity's (I will modify the existing triangular case), using the existing tweeter feed lines and the same thing for the woofers, with their existing lines. I am going to use the factory amp for the time being. I am simply replacing the speakers, that's it.

I confused myself the way I asked that. So what I am getting at it, if I do NOT use the crossovers, will I still only get highs to the tweeters and the mid/lows to the woofers? Or do the BA speakers have some sort of crossover/filter built in? I know its probably a stupid question, but I just want to make sure I get the best sound for what I have with how our cars are set up.

Thanks in advance!

Use speaker wire adaptors. Then run the signal from that into the xover, and then the wires from there to Midbass and tweet. The tweeter is in parallel with the md factory in the front doors. Rears, you will need to run the components as sperates. The crossover will ONLY go on the tweeter and the midbass will get the "sub" frequencies. DO NOT expect super deep bass from this. Sub//thump is the only place i know of where you can get the rear speaker adaptors.
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:25 AM   #3
the85darkknight

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
Use speaker wire adaptors. Then run the signal from that into the xover, and then the wires from there to Midbass and tweet. The tweeter is in parallel with the md factory in the front doors. Rears, you will need to run the components as sperates. The crossover will ONLY go on the tweeter and the midbass will get the "sub" frequencies. DO NOT expect super deep bass from this. Sub//thump is the only place i know of where you can get the rear speaker adaptors.
I have been searching for speaker wire adapters. Has anyone sourced any nice ones for the task? I have seen enough to question whether or not the same adapters can be used for both the front and rear wiring. I also am in the position that I have door speaker replacements with prewired cross overs.

IG: StarSaber85(https://www.instagram.com/starsaber85/)

Performance Mods:
CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake; ADM Racing Scoop; Bo White Ported Throttle Body; GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake; Kooks 1-7/8" Headers with Catted Connections; Solo Mach XL Axle-Back Exhaust

the85darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
Leo72793

Quote:
Originally Posted by the85darkknight View Post
I have been searching for speaker wire adapters. Has anyone sourced any nice ones for the task? I have seen enough to question whether or not the same adapters can be used for both the front and rear wiring. I also am in the position that I have door speaker replacements with prewired cross overs.
Front: http://metraonline.com/part/72-4572
Rear: You cant buy em normally. I have a spare set, youd have to modify to put terminals on to use.
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
Old 12-16-2018, 09:08 PM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Leo, I wanted to come back and thank you. Your wiring advice worked awesome. I wound up just wire tying the original tweeter leads, as they are not used any longer.

It sounds so damn good, especially the highs. I took the BA tweeters out, removed the speakers from the ring mount inside the triangle case, and glued mine into the mount, so I can remove them if I ever need to.

BTW, for the front door speakers adapters, I used these...they worked perfectly, plus they come with 4 adapters. Don't let the fact that they also work for FORD fool you. They are a perfect fit for our factory front BA Speaker harnesses. I can't help with the rear speakers, as I haven't touched those yet.When I do, I will probably just buy some high end 6x9's OR a pair of 6.5 adapters and get some nice components 6.5's back there.

2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7ş overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160ş thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #6
beak81champ
ILSQ

Drives: '13 2SS/RS
That’s awesome that you are digging your new beats! Rock on bro!
Old 12-18-2018, 06:27 PM   #7
Leo72793

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Leo, I wanted to come back and thank you. Your wiring advice worked awesome. I wound up just wire tying the original tweeter leads, as they are not used any longer.

It sounds so damn good, especially the highs. I took the BA tweeters out, removed the speakers from the ring mount inside the triangle case, and glued mine into the mount, so I can remove them if I ever need to.

BTW, for the front door speakers adapters, I used these...they worked perfectly, plus they come with 4 adapters. Don't let the fact that they also work for FORD fool you. They are a perfect fit for our factory front BA Speaker harnesses. I can't help with the rear speakers, as I haven't touched those yet.When I do, I will probably just buy some high end 6x9's OR a pair of 6.5 adapters and get some nice components 6.5's back there.

Yo uare very welcome. Not a problem to help out when people listen to me. The rears are much trickier since they have an active crossover. i wouldnt screw with em until you bypass the oem amplification
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
Old 12-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #8
the85darkknight

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
Yo uare very welcome. Not a problem to help out when people listen to me. The rears are much trickier since they have an active crossover. i wouldnt screw with em until you bypass the oem amplification

Oh, thanks for that tip. No one has ever mentioned that before. I was planning to do two stages. I would replace the radio first while laying out the wiring for my amp. The amp and speakers would be next. Did you have trouble dismantling the rear to get to the rears?

IG: StarSaber85(https://www.instagram.com/starsaber85/)

Performance Mods:
CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake; ADM Racing Scoop; Bo White Ported Throttle Body; GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake; Kooks 1-7/8" Headers with Catted Connections; Solo Mach XL Axle-Back Exhaust

the85darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:59 PM   #9
Leo72793

Quote:
Originally Posted by the85darkknight View Post
Oh, thanks for that tip. No one has ever mentioned that before. I was planning to do two stages. I would replace the radio first while laying out the wiring for my amp. The amp and speakers would be next. Did you have trouble dismantling the rear to get to the rears?
Not even. ive taken it apart in a half hour many times. I have oem mylink, to a helix DSP pro to a LC-6.1200 to a custom 3 way front stage. need to get my sub setup
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB