Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-28-2019, 11:53 PM   #1
Real1LE

Drives: '19 ZL1-1LE
ZL1 - Muffler Delete

been thinking about an exhaust. came across muffler delete. its cheap, sounds great but i feel there is more to it.

Can someone shine light on the whole "LOSS OF POWER" or "BACK PRESSURE" issue i've been reading about?

What is it? and how does it affect the car? should i just get a full exhaust instead? i know cheap isnt always a good thing

also, i track my car, its a 1LE. a guy at the shop doing a cage for the car said, it will make the car slower because of aero drag. by removing the muffler you create an opening for air which will slow the car down somehow... Confused on this topic

expert advice is appreciated guys. thank you
Real1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:43 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Muffler deletes and catbacks can make the car louder, but do nothing for performance. There is no "back-pressure issue" with the exhaust on our cars that you will fix with a muffler delete. When you are WOT, the NPP valves open and you're straight piped. See pic below.

For the track, don't bother investing in any mods other than a driver mod (a couple HPDE events with an instructor). Save your $ for tires, brakes and gas practicing what they teach you. If your tracks have sound checks, then spend your exhaust mod $$$ on laguna pipes to pass sound. Making the car louder is not what you want at Laguna and its brethren of <100 dbA-limited tracks.

re: slower w/o muffler
That cage-shop guy is talking about "parachuting," a much debated and unproven concept. Here's how the theory goes: Removing the big suitcase-muffler from our cars without modifying the diffuser makes a big hole under the back of the car. The diffuser acts as a wall at the back of this hole and becomes a parachute, preventing air from exiting from under the back of car easily. Similar to driving a pickup truck with the tailgate up (vs. down) -- also much debated and I think has been proven via testing to be bogus, FWIW.

What is more likely, however, is that this hole will result in the formation of an eddy, increasing air pressure under the back of the car, creating lift, and reducing net rear downforce. Such a thing, if it were to occur, could reduce rear wheel traction at high speeds and create an instability. Hard to tell without an instrumented wind-tunnel test, and AFAIK such a test hasn't been done.

Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:32 AM   #3
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
From a pure sound perspective, muffler deletes sound like complete ass. Your ZLE deserves a better sound than a rusty dump truck. Replace your muffler with a cat/axle back and x-pipe if you are going to modify the factory exhaust, don’t just delete the muffler and replace it with straight pipes. Regardless of what you do, remember that many tracks have decibel limits.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:52 PM   #4
Real1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Muffler deletes and catbacks can make the car louder, but do nothing for performance. There is no "back-pressure issue" with the exhaust on our cars that you will fix with a muffler delete. When you are WOT, the NPP valves open and you're straight piped. See pic below.

For the track, don't bother investing in any mods other than a driver mod (a couple HPDE events with an instructor). Save your $ for tires, brakes and gas practicing what they teach you. If your tracks have sound checks, then spend your exhaust mod $$$ on laguna pipes to pass sound. Making the car louder is not what you want at Laguna and its brethren of <100 dbA-limited tracks.

re: slower w/o muffler
That cage-shop guy is talking about "parachuting," a much debated and unproven concept. Here's how the theory goes: Removing the big suitcase-muffler from our cars without modifying the diffuser makes a big hole under the back of the car. The diffuser acts as a wall at the back of this hole and becomes a parachute, preventing air from exiting from under the back of car easily. Similar to driving a pickup truck with the tailgate up (vs. down) -- also much debated and I think has been proven via testing to be bogus, FWIW.

What is more likely, however, is that this hole will result in the formation of an eddy, increasing air pressure under the back of the car, creating lift, and reducing net rear downforce. Such a thing, if it were to occur, could reduce rear wheel traction at high speeds and create an instability. Hard to tell without an instrumented wind-tunnel test, and AFAIK such a test hasn't been done.

thank you for sharing, this is great information. i dont mind the current exhaust sound, i was curious as part of my learning process. I prefer and always prioritize spending where it enhances my driving skill and experience before anything else. I think i will likely keep the current exhaust until i have a good reason for replacing to (whatever the option might be) as i still need to learn more. Thanks agian
Old 09-29-2019, 08:55 PM   #5
Real1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
From a pure sound perspective, muffler deletes sound like complete ass. Your ZLE deserves a better sound than a rusty dump truck. Replace your muffler with a cat/axle back and x-pipe if you are going to modify the factory exhaust, don’t just delete the muffler and replace it with straight pipes. Regardless of what you do, remember that many tracks have decibel limits.
Thanks for the tips. I am not cheap when it comes to my car, far form it actually. this is why im so skeptical of a $200 mod vs $2,000 (i,e: Corsa Extreme). However, i still dont know much about them so i wont be doing anything anytime soon. as i find reasons to upgrade things i will do accordingly vs. upgrading just because....

love the signature btw
Old 09-29-2019, 10:21 PM   #6
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
Totally agree, I took the mufflers off for 1 day and it sounded horrible
Old 09-29-2019, 10:56 PM   #7
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
my first thought would be more about the weight balance. taking the suitcase off would make me think there would be more weight on the front reducing the rear wheel torque throughput
Old 09-30-2019, 07:30 AM   #8
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
First of all a muffler delete does not sound like crap, it sounds way better than the NPP. No need to spend 2 grand on an exhaust, a muffler delete is the way to go. Just make sure where you cut the pipes that you can bolt the NPP back on if you head to a track with sound restrictions. I do think there is some aerodynamic negative, but I haven't had any issues going 158 mph at Watkins Glen or anywhere else and I am making a custom diffuser.

Datboi's comment about weight distribution is hilarious Weight reduction is a good thing and removing 20lbs from the rear doesn't negatively effect anything.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:59 AM   #9
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Listen to all the 5.bros when they delete the muffler, sound like complete dookie.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:04 AM   #10
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Yes a muffler delete also creates a lot of drone (and not the pleasant kind).

Simply do a Secondary Cat Delete and leave the rest stock.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:39 PM   #11
SSallday

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 / ‘22 ZLE
From my perspective, the muffler delete sounds good. It produces drone but I can live with that. Here's mine:

SSallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:33 PM   #12
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
Yes a muffler delete also creates a lot of drone (and not the pleasant kind).

Simply do a Secondary Cat Delete and leave the rest stock.
That's right, tons of drone! I forgot to mention that.

It also seems to create a lot more vibrations, things were shaking and rattling that never shaked or rattled before.

I have a loud 105db Borla Atak, so I'm not afraid of a loud system, but with no muffler it sounded so cheap and so bad.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:07 PM   #13
Real1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSallday View Post
From my perspective, the muffler delete sounds good. It produces drone but I can live with that. Here's mine:

thanks for sharing
Old 10-01-2019, 09:43 AM   #14
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
I think some of you guys need your ears calibrated to sound not $$$$$$$. Not sure I've ever heard a street car that sounded better than my buddies muffler and resonator deleted 5.bro and some loud ass GT350 I've seen around town a few times.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote