Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
ReFLeX135

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Rattle After Tint Install

I had window tint installed in my car and they did take apart the back. They did a great job with the tint. However, I found some black plastic pieces and also noticed a purple piece not where it should be in the trunk. I also noticed that the rear speakers weren't plugged in. After fixing the power, I noticed a new rattle where the purple pieces is missing. The drivers side is the only one that rattles. Holding down the speaker fixes the issue. It is like the video below.

Should I bring this up to the installer or spend all day trying to tear apart my back seat to fix this?

Does it look like things are missing? I think #1 and #2 are missing... Here is an album of 3 pictures of the trunk:
http://imgur.com/a/WjtW7

This purple clip is what I believe to be missing:

Last edited by ReFLeX135; 05-09-2015 at 04:08 PM.
ReFLeX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:12 AM   #2
Strange Flavor

Drives: 17 Fifty SS, 11 2SS, 91 LSX C1500
Tough call, those little plastic pieces break all the time. Looks like they are definitely missing seeing the video. If they are a reputable shop I wouldn't think they would have a problem fixing it. I would probably say something, the sooner the better.
Strange Flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:42 AM   #3
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
why would they take the rear apart to install tint?
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
ReFLeX135

I emailed them some pictures and I'll give them a call on Monday. What are those clips called? Anyone have pictures of what they look like before being installed?
Old 05-10-2015, 10:44 PM   #5
dontlift19

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Those clips are what keep the plastic panel in the back attached to the metal in the rear deck. I had to take it out when I did my speaker install. That panel is pretty tricky to take out, so it's very likely they broke the clips getting it out. I didn't pay too much attention to it but I think those clips are built in to that panel, I don't think it's just a matter of buying new clips. I may be wrong though
dontlift19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:38 AM   #6
ReFLeX135

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlift19 View Post
Those clips are what keep the plastic panel in the back attached to the metal in the rear deck. I had to take it out when I did my speaker install. That panel is pretty tricky to take out, so it's very likely they broke the clips getting it out. I didn't pay too much attention to it but I think those clips are built in to that panel, I don't think it's just a matter of buying new clips. I may be wrong though
Yeah, from looking at the DIY Guide for the rear speakers I found this image, and you might be right:

Old 05-11-2015, 08:11 AM   #7
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
if they took out the rear panel to install tint you need to find a new tint shop. annnnddd get them to buy a new rear panel if they broke it
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #8
ReFLeX135

I've read on these forums and others that it was necessary for the panel to be removed to install tint so I didn't think much of it. However, the guy was very polite when I told him my findings and said to bring it in and he will fix it. Not sure if he actually can without a new panel though...
Old 05-11-2015, 10:22 PM   #9
Strange Flavor

Drives: 17 Fifty SS, 11 2SS, 91 LSX C1500
He'll probably jam some towels or something in between it.
Strange Flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:27 AM   #10
easyfame

Drives: 2013 Camaro LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReFLeX135 View Post
I've read on these forums and others that it was necessary for the panel to be removed to install tint so I didn't think much of it. However, the guy was very polite when I told him my findings and said to bring it in and he will fix it. Not sure if he actually can without a new panel though...
I've had the rear deck out and unless your really REALLY rough with it, those clips are not going anywhere. You'd probably break the black fasteners at the backmost part of the deck first.
MRT V2 Axle Back, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Vitesse Throttle Controller, 20" Voxx SS Wheels Matte Black, Blacked Out Bowtie, Side Markers, Taillight Bezels, Front Bowtie Delete, 1LE Suede Steering Wheel, Shift Knob and boot. 4-Pack Gauge Cluster, Fog Lights
easyfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:47 AM   #11
ReFLeX135

I guess I'm just going to hope that they are off center somehow and not broken. Does anyone know how much that rear deck panel costs?
Old 05-12-2015, 05:57 AM   #12
Ron71

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Convertible
I am pretty sure that those clips are available separately. They appear to be the same clips that hold on the front interior a-pillar covers.
Ron71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #13
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
why would they take the rear apart to install tint?
Everytime I replace speakers or need to fix something in the back seat I removed my panels also, when I do that it's really easy to tint then.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #14
ReFLeX135

Update:

I dropped it off on lunch. I told him specifically that the rattle is very bad and sent in images of the missing clips. Turns out they do just attach to the black pieces. However, when I picked it up he said it was ready to go and he placed in the clips. I asked if he tested the sound for rattle and he said no. He acted like it was all good to go and apologized.

I went to my car and tested the sound. It was almost exactly the same. I walked back in and we went back to hear it. He said he'd bring it in again and see what was going on and it would take 10 minutes. He decided to install some dynamat. I went in with my car this time and as he was going inside the car I asked "do you have to take the back seat out?" he replied that it wasn't necessary. He removed the side/rear panels, and reinstalled them. The rattle does seem to be gone from inside the car. However, upon exiting the car he said he'd have to replace the side panel because he scuffed it. He thought he could do it without doing that as he has before.

He showed me the damage and said he'd order the part and give me a call. It looks like the other side is slightly damaged and the back panel has a scratch on it...

Thoughts?